Why GIGANTIC plunge in bg in my cat during day?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by balou1, Jul 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. balou1

balou1 New Member

My 9 year old bengal cat, diagnosed with diabetes, nearly a year ago, was treated with decreasing amounts of Lantus insulin over 6 months and went into remission. My vet put him back on the insulin when routine check showed high bg again (350). Soon after starting at 2.5 units of Lantus, he went into hypoglycemia, recovered, back to vet, now on 2.0 units of Lantus. As requested, I did a 3, 5, and 7 hour bg test at home: it was 350, then 280, then 75. I believe the vet is unsure what to do now. She wants me to do more home testing, 6-8 times randomly throughout a few days and report back.

I have GREAT difficulty getting the cat's bg reading from his ear. He hates me for restraining him and I've tried everything and it often takes me several tries. So taking his bg level is not a good option for me. I don't believe it's Somogyi rebound effect. He seems otherwise healthy.

Any ideas what I should do?

Thanks so much!
    Pat

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Do you keep a spreadsheet or log of his BG readings? Solely from what I've read there the dose may be too high. 2.5U is a high starting dose, even for a second round the usual starting dose would be 1.0U twice a day.

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I agree. This seems to be too high a dose. He drops low and then rebounds to high numbers. Yes, some kitties are very uncooperative about BG testing but you've already dealt with the stress of a hypo. No other way around it but to set your mind to conquering the testing challenge. Not easy but not impossible either.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I agree. I'd definitely start over at 1 u

5. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Hi Pat, I am a fellow Bengal owner, so I understand your challenges with testing!!! Unfortunately, I don't have any answers except perseverance. I thank heavens every day that it's not one of my Bengals that's diabetic. (My male won't even let me put Revolution on him without two other people holding him down, and we all come away from it with scars, lol.) Thankfully, Bengals are very smart, so hopefully with time (and lots of treats) your boy will become easier to test. Testing really is the only way to make sure he stays safe. I know you think it isn't a good option, but honestly, it's your best option.

A starting dose of 2.5, or even 2.0, of Lantus is pretty big, I agree that you should probably start over at 1 unit, and move upward as needed by 0.25 increments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.