Why is Cetyl Alcohol Listed in Hairball Remedies and Vitamin Gels? Is it Safe for Cats?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cat Ma, Sep 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

I am looking for a mulit-vitamin I can give my cats via syringe when they refuse the chews. Suggestions?

I was looking at ingredients in a multi-vitamin gel for cats and everything looks safe except one ingredient listed: Cetyl Alcohol. I've noticed this ingredient in several hairball remedies as well.

Why would Cetyl Alcohol need to be added to a vitamin or hairball remedy? Is it safe to give to cats?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  2. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Hmmm....From the very small amount of information I was able to glean about ingestion of cetyl alcohol, it would seem like it is safe, particularly in very small doses, but I'm not sure it's necessarily something I would want my cats to ingest.

Most of the information I was able to find lists it as an ingredient in topically applied products such as skin cream, make-up and hair conditioner. It's primary use is that of an emulsifier or stabilizer in topical preparations.

3. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Me either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.