Why Vitamin B in fluids?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by kitcat, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kitcat

kitcat Member

My kitty has begun a regimen of fluids due to CRF based on recentl blood panel results. The vet included B vitamins in the solution which tripled the cost. I've already concluded I won't be able to continue buying fluids from him (already accustomed to this for the diabetic supplies which I get elsewhere). But, I'm wondering about the Vit B adds - is this common? What are the great folks here on FDMB doing or seeing in practice? Words of advice greatly appreciated in this!

Favorite food recommendations for your combination diabetic CRF are also appreciated (she's VERY picky and was all about fish but can't do that with CRF; she won't touch any Wellness or Evo - thought we had found the winner with Soulistic but then we had to stop the Soulistic chicken variety as she kept vomiting - it stopped when we removed this from her diet).

KitCat and Sckwert

2. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

3. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Your cat needs B-vitamins added because more fluid means more peeing.
    B-vitamins are water-soluble and get flushed out of the system in the urine.

Ask your vet about this, but what I did at the recommendation of Smokey's vet ,
    was get a bottle of B-Complex inject-able from
    a farm & feed store --- no Rx required. A big vial/bottle is really cheap. It has a rubber
    port on top just like an insulin vial. It is used for farm animals...and that's what my vet
    said they used.

You are paying more for the procedure (labor) to add the B-Complex, than for the
    B-vitamins themselves.

Then you will also need some syringes with needles....not insulin syringes.

A syringe about 3ml capacity works well, with 25ga needles. You can get a box of
    100 syringes and needles from a place like KV Vet supply. 100 seems like a lot
    but that quantity is cheaper than just a few from your vet.

I still have syringes and needles left from Smokey and they are so handy.
    Sooner or later they come in handy, for cats and other things (my hubby uses
    one to apply tiny drops of oil when he fixes old clocks ).

Now this is where you need your vet's help: You will have him calculate how much
    of the B-Complex liquid you should add to the bag of fluids.

It depends upon the concentration of the B-complex liquid, and if you are using
    500ml or 1,000ml fluid bags. It goes into the fluids bag at the injection port of the bag itself.

You can get Bags of fluid, IV lines (called Venosets) and needles from Brico Medical Supply.
    Rx from your vet is required.
    I highly recommend the Terumo brand 20ga needles....they flow almost as fast as 18ga
    Monojects and are sharper and more comfortable for your cat.

Brico will ship fluids, but it's expensive unless you live on the East coast. I got my
    fluids, by the case of 12 bags, from WalMart. They don't stock it, it's special order,
    but usually comes in 1-2 days after you submit your Rx. Save an empty bag you are now
    using, to take with you to WalMart along with your Rx from the vet. The pharmacist
    can get the 'number' off the bag for ordering from the supplier.

One thing you need to know is that B-vitamins need to be kept out of the light.
    And the bag, once it has B-Complex in it, needs to be kept out of the light.

What I did was make a black cloth cover for the fluid bag to put over it
    when it was not in use. Only uncover it when you are giving fluids.

4. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

Karen,
    Wow great info! I can add that I get my fluids (lactated ringers soln) by the case (12) at SAMS for about $24/case. It does take them a day or 2 to order it in.
    I order needles and tubing online, or at a local mom/pop pharmacy. I also love the Terumo brand needles- it makes a big difference.
    I have used a doubled brown paper bag to protect the b vit my vet adds, but I love the black cloth bag idea, and will see if I can find the b vits at a feed store- great tip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.