Will be gone Wed-Sat

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA, Nov 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!

I am heading to MI, with the cats and my aunt, to meet my sisters and mother - so there will be two generations of sisters together. And friends from the area will join us for TG dinner. Today I am baking gluten-free bread (3 loaves!) and will make biscuits (GF) and a GF pie crust for pumpkin pie up there. Hauling half my pantry and pans up there!

I am looking forward to it, but wary of all that familial estrogen in one small house for 3 days. I hope my cats are enough of a distraction!

2. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

LOL...yea, that many women who are are all related can be difficult to deal with!!

Hope you have a safe trip and a wonderful Thanksgiving!

3. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Have a Great Thanksgiving!!!

You are a far braver woman than I am to be around that many related females...lol. Actually I dread whenever there is a family get together that requires my sister and my daughters to be in the same room for anything longer than 20 minutes...as my daughters take after me and well we aren't sure how we got my eldest sister, she is far more prim and proper than the rest of my family. :lol:

Mel, Maxwell, Musette & The Fur Gang

4. Marcy & Klinger (GA)

Marcy & Klinger (GA) Well-Known Member

Wishing you all a very Happy Thanksgiving! We just finished dinner and are watching Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

Sheila - my mom makes a GF pie crust using nuts - everyone loved it! If you're interested I can ask her for the recipe. Have fun with your family.

5. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

Ooo, Marcy, that nut crust pie sounds interesting. What kind of nuts? I am a nut-o-holic, except not much of a pecan pie fan, too rich for me.

I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving. I went with my neighbors to their son's house a few towns away. Good food, entertaining company.

6. Marcy & Klinger (GA)

Marcy & Klinger (GA) Well-Known Member

I was able to catch my mom - She said that you could use any kind of nut that you like...almonds, pecans, walnuts...

The recipe is from the Joy of Cooking:
    Nut Crust
    Preheat oven to 375. Grease a 9 or 10" pie pan or an 8 or 10" springform pan.
    Chop to the consistency of coarse crumbs:
    2 cups walnuts or pecans
    Add and mix with a fork until moistened:
    4 tablespoons softened unsalted butter
    3 tablespoons sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Press the mixture evenly over bottom and sides of the pan. Bake until the crust is browned. 10-15 minutes - check it periodically.
    Taste and see! :coffee:

Sounds like you had a nice day Vicky. I'm just glad that my turkey finally thawed! :lol: We tried a tip from Michael Symon (The Chew) - soak a piece of cheesecloth in melted butter - cover the turkey to make it moist and golden brown. It was really good.

7. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Well, I survived! (Barely!)

First of all, I forgot a ton of stuff at home. My hair brush, deodorant, Jeddie's syringes @-) I didn't discover that until 9 pm Weds. Small town with NO late night pharmacies. Had to make a 60 mile round trip the next morning for some that ended up being the worst syringes I have ever used. They were mis-printed and had as much as .5u above the zero line, drew with bubbles every time, no half unit markings, long needles... OMG, they were awful! The poor guy had to go +26 before I could get him a shot. He was in the 300s and parked at the water bowl when I was calling to find an open pharmacy. Of course his numbers are off on the high side now. I hope he gets back under control soon.

The rest of it was ok. I was glad to see my sisters and mom, but it wasn't without tension especially between my younger sister and my mother. I am glad to be home even if it meant 7-1/2 hrs of driving in the rain, mostly in the dark and then three trips up the stairs to the 3rd floor unloading cats (again, in the rain). I am SO tired!

8. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

I hope you at least got to eat some good food!

Next trip I recommend leaving some syringes up there, so you have spares.

What brand syringes were they?

9. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Oh, yeah, the food was great. All the bread I made was a big hit, but I never got around to making biscuits or a pumpkin pie. We just had too much food and leftovers for that. For TG dinner we had friends from the area over - a man and his son, so that REALLY helped dilute the intensity of my family. The older man and his late wife used to breed Maine Coons and then they started adopting "retired" show MCs that were "discarded" by their owners for various reasons. So, I proudly showed off Jeddie to them. They used to have a cat that looked a lot like Jeddie. Interestingly, he said that Ariel, my tiny dilute tortie, had MC characteristics like ear tufts and "chaps", plus she has a very long ruff and long, silky tail. I call her my miniature MC. I'll try to find a picture of her.

Jed was below 150 this morning - yay! At least I know for sure that his dose last night and this am was .5u - back to my normal syringes. The crappy ones I got were "BD micro-fine IV" with 28 gauge, 1/2" needles. I am so used to 5/16" needles these seemed way too long. I have five left and they are going into my cosmetic bag that I always take for just in case. I don't want to leave syringes up there because sometimes kids are there (my sister's friends and their kids). I forgot syringes once with Beau, but it wasn't a holiday or Sunday and I had one syringe in my testing box I could use the night I got there and reuse the next morning.

10. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Oh yeah, I forgot you aren't the only one using the cabin. And I am not surprised those were BD syringes! They were what I used when I took Gandalf to the U of I for a thyroid test and he had to stay overnight, so I left his syringes for them to use. The vet told me the next day how horrible they were and explained to me how such small doses are displaced by bubbles.

Glad there were some memorable times for your Thanksgiving. Glad you were around other "cat people" too. That's important, especially when there's people food and potential for things happening that non-cat people just don't like, such as wayward hairs!

11. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

Sounds like quite the trip Sheila! But glad it all worked out and that things are back to normal now.

Glad everyone else had a good holiday, too! Mine was quiet, me and my kids and my mom. Mom is NOT an animal person so the cats hid most of the day, but came out at the end of the afternoon to rub against her legs as she sat at the table, just to torment her a little, lol.

12. Carol & Yoshi

Carol & Yoshi Well-Known Member

Wishing you a wonderful trip! And no rush but I'd love your GF bread recipe. :D

13. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Carol, my "recipes" are Bob's Red Mill GF Homemade Wonderful Bread and GF Hearty Whole Grain Bread - I do add 2 T of molasses to the whole grain one (subtract 2T from the water amount) because I thought it tasted a tiny bit bitter. I got a bread machine for my birthday last month, but both of these mixes have instructions for both by hand and in a bread machine. The whole grain one has caraway seeds in it, so it tastes like rye bread. I think I prefer the "wonderful" bread, which is a "white" bread, but still very hearty. If you have tried those frozen breads made from rice flour that crumble and taste like cardboard, I think you will like these. I have had the white one plain, with butter, toasted, in a sandwich and also frozen it and then thawed for a sandwich and I am very happy with it.

But, I am going to try making GF French bread and GF sourdough bread soon from 'scratch'. I love sourdough bread, so I am hoping that this recipe comes close to the real thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.