Will It Be Okay To....

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Becky56, Aug 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Becky56

Becky56 Member

Just put some dry food out for Bobbie??

I'm not sure what is going on. Friday I bought Special Kitty canned in place of Friskies Pate in an effort to be more economical. Everything was fine until yesterday.

I put her in the bathroom to feed her yesterday morning. She ate the entire can and even licked the dish clean. (she usually eats half a can).

Midday she just nibbled. Didn't eat much. Last night just a few bites.

This morning She barely touched it. While I was putting her food in her dish she managed to eat a few pieces of dry Friskies I had set out for the other cats. In the bathroom she had thrown up water and a few pieces of dry. Bobbie never vomits unless she is bringing up a hairball.

She is acting fine. When I let her out of the bathroom, she headed for the laundry room and started eating a couple of pieces of dry the other cats had knocked out of their dish.

Am checking her sugar once a week. She has been OTJ 3 weeks now.Yesterday afternoon before I gave her the afternoon food it was 109. She looks and acts like she feels fine.

Should i be worried?
    Would it be ok to give her some dry frisjies just to get something in her?
    I have some RX dry left, I could offer her that, but I am betting she won't eat it.

maybe she is just getting ready to bring up a hairball?

2. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

Did you try a different flavor of wet food? Special Kitty has a high liver content, and some cats stop eating foods with a lot of liver in them for whatever reason. I think they just get sick of the taste of liver. Can you try a food with less or no liver in it? Any of the flavors of Fancy Feast Classics that do not have byproducts or liver as the first ingredient might work (Tender Beef, Chicken, Turkey & Giblets), or a higher end food like EVO, Wellness, or Merricks that would have more muscle meat?

If she won't eat even those then I would say give her the dry food to get her eating, but I would use it as a very last resort because it will likely bring her out of remission. Also, I would get something like EVO dry or Wellness core that at least will be a bit lower in carbs, and only as a temporary measure until you can get her back on wet food and otj again.

It is important that she eats though--maybe you can try mixing some tuna or chicken in with her Special Kitty to get her to eat until you can run to the store and grab some different cat food? And if the lack of appetite persists she should go to the vet.

3. Becky56

Becky56 Member

I bought several flavors. I'll try a different one. The one she is refusing is Prime Dinner Entree.

She is following me around like she does when she is hungry and wants me to feed her. Def not acting sick.

She has always had a tendency to be a picky eater. She refuses chicken but loves leftover roast or steak...

She is doing so well that I don't want to risk anything that will run her sugar up. She loves that darn dry Friskies...

if i have to, I will put her back on Friskies Pate, but it will be tomorrow afternoon before I can get some.(we are a 1 vehicle family and DH has it today).We don't live in town.

4. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

If she ate a whole can at once it could have been a little too much for her tummy. And then an aversion afterwards.

If she managed to scarf up some kibble without crunching it she could have gotten it caught in her esophagus and then hacked it up. That happens sometimes w/ Tess if the freeze dried chicken treats are too big.

5. Becky56

Becky56 Member

Good News! I just gave her a can of Turkey & Giblets- she scarfed down the entire can....

must have been a flavor thing..I didn't even think about that since she has already ate a whole can of the prime entree.

I always offer her the entire can and she averages out eating a half can most times. Occaisionally in the morning she'll eat the whole can.

I feel so much better now. I was so worried that she was going to start refusing to eat everything but dry friskies....

thanks so much!

Ann- the kibble did come back up whole. maybe that was why she wouldn't eat.

6. Julia & Bandit (GA)

I went through this soooo many times with my Gabby! She would not touch anything with liver in it after a while. One day she just would not touch her Friskies anymore, or any of the inexpensive wet foods, but she acted like she was starving.

One option for you if she stops eating the Turkey & Giblets might be EVO 95% Beef (since she seems to love Beef alot!). If you get the big 13oz cans, it's actually cheaper than Fancy Feast. They're 1.75 at my local pet food store. Here's a link that can point you to someplace close to you that sells it: http://wtb.naturapet.com/

7. Becky56

Becky56 Member

Thanks Julia...they have us trained don't they?

After she finished eating, she hopped up on the bathroom counter and looked around like she was queen of all she surveyed now she's fast asleep up there.

8. Julia & Bandit (GA)

For a period of time I went though months of finickiness because of Gabby's stomach cancer, and we went though a new food every week. Boy, I'll never forget the day when I opened up a can of the only food Gabby would eat that week (Roasted Quail, I believe), and realized that it both cost more and looked more appetizing than the can of human food I was about to eat. Queen Gabby, indeed! She had me very well trained. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.