Will somebody confirm what I feel on ss

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi, Apr 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi Member

Here’s me being a board hog again. But will somebody (more than one opinion would be great) take a look at my ss. Although it’s sky high at the tail end on just 1.5 dose rather than 2 she doesn’t have those spikes.

I think this is better than the jumping way up and down, (?)

I only have tomorrow to do a curve again then I’m back to work for 4 days only testing before meal.

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Hi. Here's my two cents... She is staying in very high numbers which is not a good thing. The more time they spend in high numbers, the more damage is caused. You are using a human meter, so the actual numbers are even a little bit higher. Based on your curve, I would think she needs a higher dose. I do not have experience with Novolin; hopefully, someone who does will chime in.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I liked the numbers at 2.5 best so far. You wanna get her out of those reds and pinks. A 450 on human meter is more like a 600 on a pet meter. Way too high. Staying in those pinks and reds will do damage to her organs over time and raise the risk of ketones and neuropathy.

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I agree with Janet about the 2.5 u. Use that as a starting point. Give that dose for a couple of days (maybe 2 or max. 3) and then increase to 2.75 u. You're doing great with the testing. No need to do it as often, just follow the basice routine. You can increase the frequency if things get "interesting".

Here's how to approach finding the good dose range:
    1. test every day AM and PM before feeding and injecting (no food at least 2 hours before) to see if the planned dose is safe
    2. test at least once near mid cycle or at bedtime daily to see how low the BG goes
    3. do extra tests on days off to fill in the response picture
    4. if indicated by consistently high numbers on your spreadsheet, increase the dose by no more than 0.25 u at a time so you don't accidentally go right past a good dose
    5. post here for advice whenever you're confused or unsure of what to do.

Amanda and a Loudogg and JanetNJ like this.
  5. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

@Kris & Teasel I have to your question #2 answer. If I'm out of line correct me. Novolin is a very short acting insulin. There is no reason to test at bedtime (unless bedtime is very close to shot time) as the insulin will already be out of system. With this insulin the testing needs to be +3-5 if I'm not mistaken, experts on this please chime in. This is a tough insulin to work with. My understanding is she can't get other type until Friday as vet won't change without seeing her. As lousy as it is, it's the way it is.

6. Kris & Teasel

Hi Paula,
    That's my basic testing routine description so it's very general. Number 2 could work with Novolin, though, if evening shot is at, say, 7 PM and bedtime is 10 or 11 PM. Testing before bed would give a +3 or +4 BG number and could well catch the nadir or an impending dive. If the owner is away all day that might be the only way to capture kitty's reponses.

7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Novolin peeks around 4-6 hours after. If the injection is 5 or 6 pm the bedtime test at 9 or 10pm will give great info. During the week I get a morning preshot, evening preshot, and a pm +4 or 5.

8. Olive & Paula

It will work for PMPS but not daytime if working.

9. Kris & Teasel

That's always a problem but more so with an insulin like Novolin that can be aggressive in its action.

10. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Ok I am going to go back to 2. I was really kind of excited yesterday and the less spiking until I took that last BG. I just thought maybe hanging around in the pink, which never went up drastically until that last test, was better than jumping up and down as she does on 2. This was all before that 555 number.

I work swings so her feeding times are 11a and 11p give or take half hour. Today is the last day I have to do a curve..on Mon - thurs all I can do is pre shot testing.

I am feeling real desperate to get her OFF this Novilin...I hate it! But we lost a tech last week so there was no way I could take time off for a vet appointment :(

11. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

I’m actually using the Advocate Pet meter now. I need to change that in my signature.

12. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Yikes...this is a pet meter now :(

13. Olive & Paula

Any chance do you know the carb content of the Beyond wet food you are using?

14. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

1%....I looked it up before I got that brand :) I’m feeding the fishy pate.

Her 9hr post is 477. I don’t give another shot until around 11-1130

15. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

The dry I leave out...Young Again Zero- still has just a touch of the high carb Taste of Wild as I’m mixing very gradually. I don’t think she is nibbling on the dry though.

16. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

But! After seeing how many strips I’m going through on these curve days I may have to go back to the Relion!! Just paid 29.00 for 50 strips where the Relion is 17.00 for 100 :eek:

17. Glassgoblin

Glassgoblin Member

Which Relion meter were you using? I've been paying 20 for 50ct of the Confirm strips.

18. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

The new Relion Premier Blue. The strips are $17 something for 100.

I’m going to use both monitors today to compare if I can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.