wobbly legs...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by catz359, Jul 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catz359

catz359 New Member

WAs wondering... 2 weeks ago sugar was 22 then did sugar surb and varied between 12 and 13 last saturday. Today he seems a bit slow and walks a little wobbly on hind legs. I looked it up and apparently fairly common.. but wondering for those who have experienced same what did you do to help/ fix problem. I did sugar test today and he is at 5. Called vet tech and she said that is normal but never really confident with her words. My vet opens I nthe morning but wondering in meantime what your thoughts are.
    Thanks
    Sheila

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

In addition to working towards good glucose control, giving methylcobalamin, a specific form of Vitamin B-12, can help him recover from this. It is a water soluble vitamin, and can be purchased over the counter. Vitacost has a version which is safe for cats. The dose is 300-500 mcg.

Petey'smom likes this.
  3. catz359

catz359 New Member

is this given orally

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Yes. It can be mixed into the food (may turn it bright pink)

5. catz359

catz359 New Member

can I buy oiver the counter or need to get from vet?

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

over the counter

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

8. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Is that per day, BJ?

9. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Yes

Critter Mom likes this.
  10. Suzi_S

Suzi_S Well-Known Member

Snick has pretty bad neuropathy. Not completely down on the hocks but almost. She has no traction on our wood floors and couldn't jump. We put her on the B-12 about 6 months ago and only now is she finally starting to show improvement. But we also switched insulins, too. I bought one bottle of zobaline (sp?) and then just bought some b-12 at the health food store (carefully checking the ingredients) and also bought some folic acid to add in.

11. Critter Mom

@Suzi_S - Is Snickers a chimera cat?

Suzi_S likes this.
  12. catz359

catz359 New Member

getting frustrated.. I mentioned b12 to vet and she seems completely against it , instead suggestiong other treatments $$$ time to do more homework... 6 months seems a long time to see improvement

13. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

It won't interfere with anything the vet is doing. You can give B-12 and folic acid safely as they are water soluble and any excess will just go out in the urine.

14. catz359

catz359 New Member

so it wont change or affect his treatment now? I can buy any kind. You had mentioned a specific brand but not sure they have it in Canada I will look.
    Thanks you so much for always replying :)

15. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Vitacost.
    Its just a B vitamin. Shouldn't hurt his diabetes management and may help.

16. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

If the wobbly legs came on suddenly, you might want to check electrolyte labs as well.

Critter Mom likes this.
  17. Critter Mom

I second the recommendation about checking electrolytes.

18. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Sheila,

How long after giving the insulin shot did you get that '5'?
    And did you test his blood glucose before giving the shot? (And if so, what was the number at that point?)

I don't wish to alarm you but the "wobbly" symptoms you describe could also be caused by hypoglycemia (blood sugar that is too low). So, I'm wondering if there's a possibility that his blood glucose may have dropped low prior to your getting that '5' reading.

FYI, here is the link to the FDMB info on recognising and handling hypoglycemia. You may never need to use this info, but you may find it helpful to read it through and then print it out and keep it with your 'hypo kit' (high carb food, syrup/karo etc).
    How to treat HYPOS - THEY CAN KILL! Print this Out!!

Eliz

PS. Yes, '5' is a nice normal number. :)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  19. Suzi_S

Suzi_S Well-Known Member

Sorry, I just saw this. I'm not sure if she is a chimera. I call her a color point Siamese since her coloring is two Siamese colorings. Dark on one side and light on the other. And I don't know how to quote.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.