Wolfie update : seizures

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cheryl and Winnie, Jun 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

last night while after a fantastic day of outside time, playing, eating, purring ,etc....
    we were sitting watching a movie together and suddenly his head curved sharp right and his body went stiff.
    I held on to him to keep him from falling off the chair and pet him to keep him calm-- seemed like it lasted forever. but it was rather short. This was a first for us.
    Afterwards, he was a little out of it for a bit. But happy to eat some ice cream.

I was up most of the night/ am checking on him. didn't want him on the bed in case it happened again and fell. but when I tried to sleep on the floor w/ him he went up on the bed. And then he was playing up and down on the bed with his toys, so I gave up.

This am he ate a full breakfast. I gave him his *inbetween meal* meal. He didn't touched that. He was acting way off. Gave him his meds -- including pain med. but didn't seem to matter.
    We went outside ( we have spent a lot of time out the last 2 weeks of time we have had together ) He loves to be out in the garden.
    And after out there for awhile he had another seizure. this one much longer and more involved and intense.
    I sat there with him for a very long time thinking "this is it".
    but it was not his day. He has had a longer time recovering from this one. Is sleeping comfortably now.
    But not eating. yet.

I debated on calling the vet. Talked to a fellow cat loving friend who said if I called i would be offered one thing. Was he ready?
    I know that may sound strange to some. Like hello , what more of a sign do you need in a cat on hospice.
    But I strongly believe in the intuitive signals. and he was saying it's not time.
    ( Winnie told me very clearly when it was time) My friend also said that humans who have terminal cancer often have seizures but are ok in between. I hope there will not be any more. But know that it may happen.

We have had a gifted couple weeks together after coming home from the ER hosp on memorial wkend.
    they thought after that weekend that would be it.
    Our vet had us keep him up on a high dose of dex instead of backing down.
    of course I've poked his ear a couple times. highest read I got on the dex 156.
    He has been eating, playing , snuggling --- all the p's in place. a happy cat.
    I cancelled everything I had on the calendar these past couple weeks and stayed with him.
    I'm so glad I did.
    So I wait for him to tell me and I will keep him comfy.

oh ! and he had a BD --he's 19 now ---actually has 2 BDs in June -- the 9th and the 19th ( story on that for another time)

Thank you for your continuing support.-- you guys are great!
    Please keep those prayers, good wishes and vibes all coming.
    I hope and pray for all things to come to be gentle for him. He is a very gentle sweet soul.

2. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

19! :) belated birthday wishies, dearest wolfie.

good wishes from our household to yours have never stopped, cheryl. we've been holding you and wolfie very close in our hearts these two weeks.

3. Pandasmom

Pandasmom Member

Hugs to you and Wolfie

I'm glad you were there with him through this. It must have been so scary, but I'm sure it reassured him to know that you were there holding him.
    He'll let you know when it's time. Enjoy your time together.

So sorry you are going through this.

Odiesmom

4. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

i really do believe they'll tell you when it's time. didn't quite grasp it til i experienced it myself. hoping for some good quality time for you and wolfie. so much of what he's doing sounds good and the dex really seems to have helped him. (((CHERYL)))

5. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

hang in there cheryl. I am so sorry you guys are going through this but you are a good momma bean. wolfie is one lucky cat.
    keeping you close and in my prayers as always

6. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday Wolfie. I am stille sending prayers and wishes to both of you for many more happy days together in the garden. (((Cheryl))).

7. Gina & Yittle (GA)

Gina & Yittle (GA) Member

He'll tell you when its time. The only question is, if you'll listen. They always tell us, we just sometimes talk ourselves out of it because of what we want. We don't mean to be selfish, but it happens sometimes. As much as I desperately miss Yittle I'm so glad I took him in the day he told me he was finally tired. He looked at me just before sunrise and while he was in no apparent distress or discomfort at that moment, he told me, and I knew what he was saying and I listened.

May you have a very long time before that moment comes.

8. Sonia & Tom (GA)

Sonia & Tom (GA) Well-Known Member

Hugs to you and Wolfie.
    Sounds like you are spending great time together.

9. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

I'm so glad you are able to spend these weeks with him, uninterrupted .. I know wolfie loves having you there for him ...

10. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday Wolfie!

Cheryl, I sure admire your strength. You're doing such a good job keeping him happy and yourself together.

11. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I know witnessing these seizures is very hard and scary. You are doing a great job and Wolfie knows it.

You may want to keep a large towel handy - I find this helps with my Buster - I can wrap her up and hold or contain her better, when she loses control she goes on the towel (easier clean up) and when she drools uncontrollably, I've got something available to wipe her mouth with.

Hugs to you both.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Oh Cheryl, my thoughts and prayers are with both you and wolfie. I'm so warmed by the thought that you both have this special time together to say your goodbyes and show all your love for each other.
    sending peace and love your way,
    Lori

13. Susie and Moochie

Susie and Moochie Member

Happy 19th B-Day to Wolfie, Cheryl and many prayers and hugs for both of you. I'm so glad that you've had this time with Wolfie and continue to have special time with him for however long he has. It's just never easy I am sorry to say but the love and joy they bring us is a very special gift.

14. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Keeping you both in my prayers. I would be doing the same things you are.
    J.

15. Patticass & Tyler (GA)

Patticass & Tyler (GA) Member

Happy Birthday dear Wolfie. Continued prayers for both of you.

Patti

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.