Wondering about trying different insulins if one doesnt work

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by NitroViper, Feb 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

Ok, just a question since I don't know very much about anything lol.

I read lots of threads on here just to see how people are doing. I see many many people using one type of insulin in their post and never really having any success. Trying this and that but nothing works. One thing I never see them trying is a different insulin. In the replies I don't see anyone suggests trying a different insulin after so much failure? If one med doesn't work on a human they usually try different ones until they find one that works for that specific person.

Antibiotics for example, some work on some people and not others. On person advil (ibuprofen) works great but other can only use aleve (naproxen sodium) .

I don't know much about diabetes, or meds in general but just wondering why no one ever suggests to try different insulin if you go weeks without improvement at all?

Sorry if its a stupid question.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Re: Wondering about trying different insulins if one doesnt

It happens. See ProZinc, Lucien. He's been on Levemir, Lantus, and now is on ProZinc.
    Folks on Caninsuli/Vetsulin, Novolin/Humulin frequently change to something else because these have a history of not working well in cats.

But part of this is making adjustments carefully:
    - food changes are completed (as much as 100 mg/dL drop)
    - home testing (100 to 180 mg/dL drop from eliminated vet stress)
    - insulin adjustments in small increments so you don't miss the optimal dose

Another chunk is comorbid conditiions - other issues which can impact how well the insulin works.
    - allergies requiring steroids
    - Inflammatory Bowel Disease
    - asthma
    - constipation
    - vomiting, inappetance, or diarrhea
    - heart disease and hypertension
    Etc

3. Suzanne & Cobb(GA)

Suzanne & Cobb(GA) Well-Known Member

People do change insulins. We were originally using Prozinc but then switched to Lantus after not seeing any progress within 6 months. Some higher dosage Lantus users switch to Levemir because the Lantus can sting at higher doses.

4. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

I'm actually switching to Levemir probably next week (whenever I can get to the pharmacy). Mikey has been on Lantus a year and a half now with fluctuating results, plus I'm fairly certain he can feel the Lantus sting. I figure why not try something else and see if it does him any better. If not, then at least I know I tried. ;-)

Funny you should mention naproxen sodium. It's the one medicine that I'm severely allergic to and only found out the hard way after taking aleve when Tylenol and aspirin stopped working on my headaches. :lol:

5. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Remember the people that stick around on here, or that come here, tend to be having problems to start with which is why they are on insulin for a while. A lot of people come on, cat goes into remission, and are gone within six months.and it can take weeks to find a good dose.. Then tweaking it as the cat stabilizes or goes into remission.

Your SS looks like you won't have an issue..

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

For those who get migraines, it may be helpful to take 400 mg Vitamin B-2 and 400 mg of Magnesium daily as a preventative.

7. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

When my migraines start, I take two Advil and a strong coffee. Works like a charm.

8. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Yep, yep, yep! The Magnesium really works. Mine are genetically linked (my aunt, cousin, and sister all get them and have even been hospitalized for them). Right now, ibuprofen is working fairly well still (not as good as it used to).

Caffeine sometimes works too...sometimes makes it worse though. :lol: I remember the worst headache I ever had, I took excedrine (the one with caffeine) and it made it even worse! I was in tears and my sister almost took me to the hospital. The headaches can sometimes knock me out for days.

9. sophie

sophie Member

KPassa,
    have you tried sleeping by placing your head on a (jelly-type) towel-wrapped large ice pack? That was the only thing that ever helped my migraines. Good luck!
    Best wishes, Sophie

10. Suzanne & Cobb(GA)

Suzanne & Cobb(GA) Well-Known Member

I third the magnesium recommendation. I had migraines for about 13 years. A co-worker told me to take 500mg of magnesium a day. She said she hadn't had one since starting the magnesium. I started and haven't had one in over two years. I had been having 1-3 a month previously.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.