Wondering what to do, help!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lynn & Rupert, Jul 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lynn & Rupert

Lynn & Rupert Well-Known Member

I am new, so please bare with me. preshot was 156 this morning so did not give a shot till BG was at 314, gave 1 unit of ProZinc. Was unable to test till 4 hrs later and BG was 255. Was suggested to skip night time shot and wait till morning. I tested again just now and BG was 512. Freaking out a bit, do I go ahead with night shot? It would be 2 hrs later than normal injection time or do I wait till morning. The high number worries me.

2. Lynn & Rupert

ps...it's been 11 hours since last shot given

3. granadilla

granadilla Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome. Can you wait an hour and shoot at the 12-hour mark? I don't have as much experience as a lot of other people on this board, but that's what I'd do. Good luck!

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

If you shoot 12 hours from this morning's shot, are you going to be able to shoot 12 hours after tonight in the morning? If you can't, I'd probably just skip and start over in the morning

If you do skip tonight, if you want to change your shot schedule, you'd be able to shoot whenever you wanted to in the morning

5. Lynn & Rupert

I will be able to shoot 11 hours in the morning from tonight. I didn't see your reply, so I went ahead and gave him a shot, I reduced the dosage a bit. I probably shouldn't do that just yet, I am a newbie, but I sort of panicked! :nailbiting: I will test him in the morning and again before giving shot. Thank you very much for helping! I think I can go to sleep now. Sweet dreams!

6. Lynn & Rupert

Thanks for responding, I did go ahead and give him a shot, it's been just about 12 hrs now (I know because I am exhausted and need sleep! lol) I reduced the dose just a tad, hope I did the right thing. I will test right away in the morning and of course before his scheduled shot, which will be 12 hrs from tonight's shot. Thank you, much appreciated!

7. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Shiloh & Rhonda (GA) Well-Known Member

Catx....what is your first name? I feel silly call you by your screen name? I would help you with your signature, but couldn't do that without signing into your account. And when do you think you can start putting his number in the spreadsheet? Don't think I can do it, since I passed it to you.

8. Lynn & Rupert

Hi Rhonda, my name is Lynn. I was able to link it to my signature last night. I will do my best to start today, but have to be gone some. I write my BG's in a notebook and times of injections. I hope to really get started on the spreadsheet in earnest tomorrow, since I will be home all day. I tested Rupert this morning around 8:30, 7 hrs after his last shot and BG was 281. Thanks again for the spreadsheet!

Shiloh & Rhonda (GA) likes this.
  9. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

When you have a moment, could you add a few more tidbits to your signature? It will help us give you feedback.

Editing your Signature

In the upper right corner of the screen, within the dark blue bar, you will see ID, Inbox, and Alerts

Click on your ID.

On the left, under Settings, Click on Signature.
    This is where you will put information that helps us give you feedback.
    This is where you paste the link for your spreadsheet, once it is set up.
    Add any other text, such as
    your name,
    cat's name,
    date of Dx (diagnosis)
    insulin
    meter
    general location (city and state/province)
    any other pertinent issues like if there are any food issues, history of DKA, hepatic lipidosis, pancreatitis, allergies, IBD, etc.
    Click the Save Changes button at the bottom.

Always click the Save Changes button at the bottom when you have changed anything.

Lynn & Rupert likes this.
  10. Lucca

Lucca Member

can someone PLEASE help me! First ime using this site and im struggling but im desperate.. Can anyone tell me if they've had or know of issues using Revolution on a diabetic kitty. i know im in the wrong place but i need help please!
    Thank you so so much,
    Traci (Lucca's momma)

11. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Lucca...take a deep breathe!! I use revolution on my diabetic kitty......Just try to move it a little bit from where you give the shots, so that the revolution isn't accidentally injected when you give the insulin.

12. Lucca

Lucca Member

i gave him his insulin and about an hour later today, the revoution.. he is suddenly crying and cant walk on his back right leg. im am so scared. he has had revolution before with no trouble. idk what to do. thank you for ur reply

13. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Lucca, are you testing his blood sugar? If you are, check it now!

14. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

This sounds strange, but please describe the crying.

manxcat419 likes this.
  15. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

What insulin and how much how often?

16. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

I would agree that it's more likely a BG issue than the Revolution so if you can get a test, please do and post the number so we can make sure it's not that. Any medication, including flea treatments, can cause a reaction (just ask my Regan about Frontline :rolleyes:) but if he's had it before with no problems then it's very unlikely to be that. Or is it possible he's jumped down from somewhere and has twisted his leg a bit? It really could be that simple an answer - we all panic about our diabetic cats when anything goes even slightly wrong, but often the answer is nothing to do with them being diabetic at all.

17. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

@Lucca , I realize that you may be typing, but please respond. We are trying to help you.

manxcat419 likes this.
  18. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Is the foot on that leg cold? If yes, it could be a blood clot.

19. Lucca

Lucca Member

omg.. im so sorry. as i said im new here and never saw this reply until just now. i realize ive not given his medical history which would be impossible right now but he has a pre exsisting disease that makes his pads spongey.. he's had trouble ealking way before the diabetes but it has def gotten worse but this issue is somethingdifferent

20. manxcat419

OK, let's go with first things first. Is he still having trouble walking now or are things improving since you first posted? And can you get a BG reading from him so we can all see where his numbers are at the moment?

21. Lucca

Lucca Member

his pads on that foot feel warm and will not let me touch it without crying. he ate some food and i checked his glucose level was 202, good for him. he is otherwise acting ok, after he ate a bit just now he finally fell back to sleep. i am petrified at this point. what could have happened to that foot!?! he has been in front of my all day.

22. Lucca

Lucca Member

sorry, i can only post so much and idk.. i cant continue so i just sent and started again so we crossed messages

23. manxcat419

No worries - sorry, I'm so used to using a full keyboard (and being qualified in typing too) so I tend to go a bit fast!! As you've done, just let me know if I'm asking questions too quickly for you. :)

It sounds as though his BG is good and if his foot is warm it shouldn't be a blood clot. I'm still wondering if he's maybe twisted or strained his foot somehow - might he have jumped down from something and landed hard? If he has issues walking anyway because of his paw pads, maybe he just landed awkwardly and hurt himself?

24. Lucca

Lucca Member

i feel like an idiot. i had no idea any had responded. im here freaking out and you all were trying to help! fyi, no way he could have jumped. Lucca hasnt jumped in yrs. he has stairs but cant even use them anymore.

25. Lucca

Lucca Member

thats why im go crazy.. he was fine all day well all morning. he was in bed which is on the floor in the family room next to my bed. he is always near me. ive been obssessed with trying to get him well since the diagnoses, which is verydifficult as i .have health problems of my own. i love this boy and def freak and maybe over react with him but something is up. i wonder if he could have been bit by something? i dont even know what to look for or how to tell. i hate to tramatize him with a vet trip unless i should. he no likey goung to the dr :( thank you so much for even respinding

26. manxcat419

It's OK - if you didn't see the answers, you didn't see them. Now you have and we can start figuring out what might be going on with him. So far, it looks as though we've ruled out low BG as he's at 202. And we've pretty much ruled out a blood clot as his foot is warm. It's not him jumping off something. So now we have to work out what else is left that it might be.

You said he has a pre-existing paw pad condition. Is there any way that he could have got an infection in his paw pad - would the condition maybe make it easier for him to get a little cut in the pad that might have got infected? Diabetics can be more prone to infection so even if it hasn't happened before, it's maybe something to consider this time around. I guess he could have been bitten by something, but I'm not sure you'd even be able to see it if he has unless it was a really big bite.

And I hear you on him not liking the vet...my Rosa freaks out completely when she's there, so I try to avoid taking her unless I really have to!

27. manxcat419

Oh and BTW, we all overreact when it seems like something is wrong with our diabetic kitties so don't worry about that! :bighug:

28. Lucca

Lucca Member

*responding.. talking to others who love their sick babies as much as i do but have so much more knowledge helps calm me down a lot. thanks again

manxcat419 likes this.
  29. manxcat419

You're doing great with him. :) You're checking what you can, keeping an eye on him and we WILL get this figured out - with the amount of knowledge on this board, someone somewhere will no doubt have seen something similar before and have some additional suggestions for you. :bighug:

30. Lucca

Lucca Member

since he wasnt trying to let me mess with it much, there could be a cut. i looked and felt it as best i could but he cried :( i guess since he finally settled down and fell asleep, ill just keep an eye on it. maybe fingers crossed it will be better when he wskes up. thank you so very much

manxcat419 likes this.
  31. manxcat419

If he'll let you later on, maybe put a little dab of Neosporin with pain relief on his paw - if it is cut, that would help it heal and should stop it getting infected...plus it'll help with the pain if it's a cut. Though if he's sleeping now I'd leave it until later...you don't want to wake him up by doing it and if it's hurting him he'll probably wake really easily if you touch it now. Please let us know how he's getting on later on after his nap. :bighug:

32. Lucca

Lucca Member

i will surely update.. and ive got his neosporin right here with his supplies. ill try that later. im so grateful for the help.
    Traci

manxcat419 likes this.
  33. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Traci, is this the pre-existing condition you are talking about? I've been there before as well, but not with my sugar kitty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.