? Won't eat GOOD UPDATE

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mshaas75, Jul 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mshaas75

Mshaas75 Member

Well after yesterday she ate a little this morning and now she won't eat. I took her sugar 431 but did not give insulin since she isn't eating. I'm hoping she is just to hot to eat. She goes to the food but then walks away. She is drinking water just not eating right now

2. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Heather - going to the food but walking away is a classic sign of nausea (if it is food that she likes) -her blood sugar is quite high to skip - I don't know anything about vetsulin so I can't advise on a dose @Sue and Oliver (GA)
    Does she seem ill in any other way (meatloafing like in pain, licking her lips)?
    Why don't you rename your thread and put a ? in the title - maybe add "high blood sugar"
    has she ever done this before? Here's some info on how to stimulate appetite do you have any urine ketone strips?

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. Mshaas75

Mshaas75 Member

She has been throwing up today 3x. This last time there were a few drops of blood in it

4. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Does she seem ill? She could have pancreatitis - here's some information on that -You should really try to get some food into her - maybe try baby food (with just meat - nothing else) and check for ketones - do you have ketone strips?

5. Mshaas75

Mshaas75 Member

I don't have the stuff to test for keotones

6. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Heather have you tried adding some water and warming the food? Or do you have any other food, even some kibble to entice her to eat?

7. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi there and sorry your kitty won't eat and is throwing up. Can you try baby food like Carol mentioned, all chicken or turkey but no vegetable or rice in it. My cat just went through throwing up and diarrhea and went off his feed but he would eat baby food chicken. Also, like Carol said, if she is going to the food and then walks away, it could be he is nauseous. Do you have plain Pepcid 10 mg. or the generic is famotidine. Give a 1/2 of tablet which will help with the nausea.

If she won't eat by tomorrow, you really should take her to the vets as she will need some meds to stop the vomiting and they will probably do sub q fluids to rehydrate her. Try getting the famotidine in her and then try the baby food in about 1/ 2 hour. If she still won't eat you might try taking a spoon and actually holding it to her mouth and often they will start eating from the spoon. If not, you might want to try syringe feeding her.

Please don't let it go on past tonight and have her seen if she won't start eating by tonight.

Carol & Murphy (GA) and Sharon14 like this.
  8. Mshaas75

Mshaas75 Member

Paris was diagnosed with kidney and liver failure about 2 months ago prior to the vet adding diabetes to the list. She has been on a supplement sam-e since then.
    The vet said her time was near the end once she quit eating and started throwing up. After trying several foods we finally got her on the purina dm. It's really the only thing she will eat. I have tried feeding her everything even her favorite cooked chicken. I put some food in a syringe and tried feeding her but didn't get much down. What scared me the most was the last vomit was a little liquid with a few drops of blood in it. Paris doesn't leave the house it's too stressful on her we have the Mobil vet come to the house. We talked about taking her to emergency but at this point I think it will be too stressful on her, plus more than we can afford, also worried if we go there she won't come home. Last time we went there it was $500 for s sprained ankle. I'm going to ride out the night and if no improvement by morning I will call her vet to come to the house.
    Please pray for her tonight.

9. Sharon14

Sending tons of prayers for Paris. :bighug:

10. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Sending prayers for Paris and :bighug::bighug::bighug: for you, Heather.

Have a look at this page from Tanya's site for nausea treatments:

Nausea, vomiting and appetite problems

Cerenia helps with nausea and vomiting and can work fairly quickly. Ondansetron is an excellent anti-nausea med but it can take about 24 hours or so to kick in. I believe that you can give it at the same time as Cerenia. Also an acid blocker like famotidine or ranitidine can help with excess stomach acid (a very common problem with CKD kitties). Please show the page linked above to your vet so that you can both decide on potential treatment for Paris' eating difficulties. Don't be shy about seeking a second opinion from another vet if you're unsure of anything.

Mogs

11. Critter Mom

Also if you have Paris' lab results for kidney markers etc. it might be an idea to post up the results here so that people familiar with such things might be able to advise you on potential treatments to make Paris feel better. Tanya's Site is a goldmine for CKD treatments.

Mogs

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  12. Bobbie And Bubba

Oh Heather, I am so very sorry that Paris is this sick. Sending lots of prayers her way. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

13. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Heather, so sorry to hear all this. Still, I wonder if someone can comment on whether she should get some insulin tonight (a reduced dose)-

Critter Mom likes this.
  14. Mshaas75

Mshaas75 Member

They didn't actually give me her results I will ask for them when I talk to the vet tomorrow. We got her drinking milk!! Trying some cut up chicken breast again to see if she will eat

Sharon14 and Critter Mom like this.
  15. Mshaas75

Mshaas75 Member

Just a long shot but could the insulin be making her sick? It's only 1 unit 2x a day. Need to get keotone testing kit tomorrow

16. Critter Mom

Glad to hear you managed to get a little sustenance into Paris. If you can get her to eat small amounts very frequently it can help a bit with stomach acid. Try raising her bowl so that she doesn't have to bend to eat. More tips here:

Persuading your cat to eat

Mogs

17. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Can someone tag anyone who has used Vetsulin to advise about a reduced dose for tonight?

18. Critter Mom

It's possible. I've been a member here for over 2 years and anecdotally I've noticed that some cats do seem to have nausea problems during the early stages of treatment (my own Saoirse being one of them).

Mogs

19. Critter Mom

Try Sue or Lucy.

Mogs

20. Mshaas75

Mshaas75 Member

Update. She ate a little this morning. More milk and a small piece of chicken. Not much but it's something!!!!

Critter Mom and Sharon14 like this.
  21. Bobbie And Bubba

That is wonderful! Please keep us updated as to what the vet says when she is seen today.

22. Sharon14

Great news. Do call your vet though also ask about the anti nausea meds and appetite stimulants.

23. Carol & Murphy (GA)

24. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

She does need insulin; even a reduced dose might get her numbers down a bit - but not on an empty stomach. You really have a triage situation here - eating is very important. And the vomiting with blood is worrying. I hope the vet can come by today - consider pancreatitis and give you some pain and nausea meds. Maybe ask the vet about assisted feeding also. Ask about how much insulin and how to balance that with poor appetite.

I am so sorry to hear that she feels so bad and that you are dealing with multiple issues with her. I don't think we are much help with the issues of insulin and no food. It is difficult to know what would be best. Paws and fingers cross d that she starts to feel better.

25. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Has the vet offered Ondansetron (nausea) or convenia? (vomit)
    fluids often help as well if no heart issues--
    also Nux vomica the dissolvable tiny tablets work very good if you cannot get the others--
    any health store should have them and they dissolve very fast and work quickly-
    baby food is a good start if the nausea subsides...:bighug:

26. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

I think you meant cerenia rather than convenia. Convenia is a controversial antibiotic, cerenia is used as an anti-nausea

27. Mshaas75

Mshaas75 Member

i sent a detailed email to the vet this morning along with her chart. Still waiting to hear back from them. I also asked for my lab results so I can fill in that chart. I will update with more info as soon as i hear something.

28. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

yes you are correct-- no coffee today :(

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  29. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Sorry not to respond sooner, I just now saw this. Really, I can't add anything to what Sue has already suggested. Paris needs insulin, but I couldn't tell you how much or how little would be safe to give if she is not eating. What is her regular dose, and when was the last time she had it?

I am sorry that she is feeling so poorly. Please talk to her vet and see if he can help; he can tell you how much to reduce her dose by, and can help with meds to control nausea/vomiting. Sometimes appetite stimulants help (my Squallie is on Cyproheptadine) but only if nausea is under control or is not an issue. I am also unsure if Paris' liver/kidney disease may be an issue with using Cyproheptadine, as it is metabolized by the liver and kidneys. Mirtazapine is another frequently-used appy stimulant, but cats with kidney disease may not metabolize it well. Your vet will be able to give you more answers.

Wish I could help more. Sending prayers and healing thoughts to you and Paris. Please keep us updated!

30. Alexi

Alexi Member

Have you heard back from the vet yet? She does need insulin and as she has been running high sugars combined with the vomiting she is at risk of developing ketones, you need to buy some keto-diastix from anywhere that sells diabetic supplies and test her urine if she is running high numbers. Have you been monitoring her blood sugars - if so can you update your spreadsheet. If the vet has not got back to you please phone them now.

Squalliesmom and Sharon14 like this.
  31. Mshaas75

Mshaas75 Member

Update. I emailed vet this morning and not call back!!! However she won't touch her normal wet food. I went an got her favorite chicken fried rice and picked the chicken out and she ate it right up. Her bg was 435 and I gave her 1 unit of insulin. She ate and drank a bunch of water. She is perky today and no vomit.

32. Sharon14

Glad she's eating a little and you were able to shoot. Did you get some ketone test strips?

33. Mshaas75

Mshaas75 Member

No not yet. I have to Run to the drug store and grab some. I gave her shot at 6 since then she as been just lying around. She did fine the first 5 days now I give her the shot and she goes to sleep. Why do people switch insulin?? I'm really wondering if the insulin is messing her up.

34. Sharon14

People usually change insulins if the one they are using doesn't seem to be working. Her numbers are high, but you haven't been at this very long, and she just may need an increase in dose, but she needs to be eating better for that. If she likes chicken, pick up some chicken breasts and poach them for her with no seasonings. Have you tried some Fancy Feast Classics? Warm the food in the microwave for a few seconds and stir it up good-that increases the smell. Please get the ketone strips!

Mshaas75 likes this.
  35. Mshaas75

Mshaas75 Member

GREAT NEWS she tested negative for ketones. Was close between negative and trace but it looked more negative to me. Bought some different foods won't touch them. If I have to cook her chicken every night that is what I will do. Vet assistant called. Apparently both local vets are not working this week cause of the 4H fair. She was going to email her with my info. We talked about something to make her eat and nausea meds. Just waiting to hear back

36. Mshaas75

Mshaas75 Member

OMG. I just looked in the kitchen put 3 foods out. Looks like she is eating her DM food!! By the way I hate this diabetes stuff. Also was mention of raising her dose but have to wait for the vet to call

Critter Mom, JanetNJ and Sharon14 like this.
  37. Sharon14

Great, no ketones and she's eating!!!!!:cat:

Critter Mom likes this.
  38. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

No Ketones are wonderful news! :cat: Keep testing for them. You want them negative.
    I'm so glad she is eating some food. There were lots of times I was at the grocery store strolling around, buying this and that and some of that and this and when I went to checker, I wanted to say this is all for my cat. Several different canncd cat foods, treats, cooked frozen shrimp, canned tuna (in water only with no soy), steak or chicken breast (to be cooked with no seasonings), maybe some lunch meat (that I could trust had no onions or garlic) and baby food with all meat.
    Keep up the good work, and paws crossed for normal eating soon to come. Stay positive.

39. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

My cat was recently diagnosed and put on Vetsulin as well. I'm considering asking the vet to change her because I don't think the insulin is working long enough. I have learned that Apparently Vetsulin is not always the best choice for cats because it sometimes only lasts 8 hours instead of 12. Thinking of asking about Prozinc.

40. Mshaas75

Mshaas75 Member

Even better 3 hours after shot 254!!! Best number ever!!!

Critter Mom, Sharon14 and JanetNJ like this.
  41. Sharon14

42. Critter Mom

NOT convenia for vomiting; it's CERENIA that's needed. :)

Mogs

43. JanetNJ

She's ok but I still haven't seen a number below 300. Her lowest so far was 337.

44. Sharon14

Can you set up the spreadsheet? It would help us see what's going on and maybe have some suggestions for you.

45. Sharon14

46. JanetNJ

Yeah I'll work on that. Can that be done on an iPhone or is it done on a computer?

47. Sharon14

I don't know if it can be set up on an iPhone, but you can use it on your iPhone. Someone set mine up for me on my iPad.

48. JanetNJ

Ok. I can see other people's spreadsheets on my phone but can't figure out how to save a template to edit. I'll drag out the computer and try on there.

49. Sharon14

50. Bobbie And Bubba

So glad to see that she has eaten some for you and the numbers are coming down. eating well it can be difficult. Glad you are considering switching insulin as Vetsulin has fast harsh drops and when you have a kitty not eating well, it can be troublesome.

51. Alexi

Alexi Member

@JanetNJ once you have your spreadsheet up and running can you start a new thread and we'll have a look at it for you.

52. Mshaas75

Mshaas75 Member

She seems better and is eating but not a lot. Vet supposed to call today so that I can get anti-nausea meds and something that will help her eat. We talked about fluids also but since no ketones, I don't think we need fluids right now and she is perkier. So I need to get these other items for my "toolbox". She is drinking good. Vet also talked about going to 1.5 units but I am still waiting to have a final conversation with them on all this

Critter Mom likes this.
  53. Carol & Murphy (GA)

do you think it is pancreatitis? If so, consider asking vet for cerenia (antiemetic) and appetite stimulants (cyproheptadine, mirtazipine)

54. Mshaas75

Mshaas75 Member

I'm not sure I will talk to the vet about it when I talk to them today

55. Carol & Murphy (GA)

It might help her eat

56. Critter Mom

Very glad to hear that Paris is a little perkier and eating some bit for you, Heather. Ask the vet about ondansetron for nausea, too. NB - Zofran, the branded version, may be very expensive (it is in the UK). Generic ondansetron should be much cheaper (it's ten times less than Zofran in the UK).

Mogs

57. Mshaas75

Mshaas75 Member

They gave her mirtazipine. 1/4 tablet every 48 hours I just gave it to her then I read out it. I'm scared to death what could happen now

58. Critter Mom

Hopefully she'll be fine but, to be on the safe side, watch out for any behaviour changes, dilated pupils, and keep an eye on her temperature. If you're in any doubt about anything contact a vet straight away. For information, if she were to have an adverse reaction you would need to get her to a vet for immediate treatment with cyproheptadine; it's the antidote used.

@Larry and Kitties - if you're around could you give Heather more info on mirtazapine dosing? I can't remember what the latest recommendations are.

Mogs

Mshaas75 likes this.
  59. JanetNJ

Ok, did I do it right? Can you see the spreadsheet?

60. Sharon14

Yes! That will help a lot.

61. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

This study indicates that an appropriate starting oral dose for mirtazapine in cats may be 1.8 mg/cat instead of 3.75 mg/cat, and it is critically important to make sure cat owners know exactly how to dose and at what interval. The authors also recommend that to reduce the chances of accidental overdose, the 15-mg pills be divided into exact doses for clients before sending the prescription home with them. The study emphasizes the role of client education in this and all medication protocols.

http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/mirtazapine-cats-how-much-too-much
    from this study:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26228539

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.