Won't stop bouncing

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by kallima_butterfly, May 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kallima_butterfly

kallima_butterfly Member

Hi. It's been a while. Oyster has been managing his diabetes very well but this last month in not sure what's going on. Oyster is on Levimir. When I tag him in the morning he is around high teens low twenties. So I usually shoot him 1.5 units. However there are times when I get home and look at him I notice something is not right so I retest him and he us between 1.4 and 1.8! So I panic and shove corn syrup at him and bring him up. I usually miss his evening needle when thus happens but by the next day he's at 30. I've tried in between units and it doesn't seen to matter. Hebounces all over. I'm scared to shoot him and come home to a coma cat but in scared not to shoot him. I'm gonna try curving him this weekend. Any thought. This can't be good on him. He's 19 by the way. My mother in law says its time to let him go. Is it?

2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Marcy,

I suggest you post this again on the Lantus and Levemir board with a title along the lines of Levemir Dosing Advice Needed - Going Too High and Too Low. The experienced Lev users may be able to advise you on dosing techniques/strategies which may help you refine Oyster's dosing. It would help enormously for you to get Oyster's spreadsheet up to date. Anyone trying to help you will need to see his current data.

If it was me I would seek help with the dosing, work out a new strategy and give it some time to work. I certainly wouldn't make any other decisions at this time based on what is hopefully just a hiccup in BG regulation.

With lows like you're getting if I were in your shoes I'd seek immediate input from other experienced Lev users before giving the next dose.

Sorry I can't do more to help.

Mogs

Last edited: May 14, 2016
    Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  3. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Marcy...sorry to see that you are having such a hard time with the regulation.

I use Levemir for both my kitties. Both of them will bounce when numbers get into a low/lower range than normal. One of my kitties is a real bouncer and it can take several days for the bounce to settle. He was diagnosed in November 2014, so very close to when Oyster was diagnosed.

One thing that would be most helpful would be to have an updated spreadsheet, since there is no data since early February. Insulin needs can change on a regular basis so it is impossible to tell what is happening at this point in time without more information. From what you described it may be possible that the current dose is taking Oyster too low and then the bouncing comes into play. Also from what data you already posted it looks like the dose was being changed in larger amounts up and down. Levemir works best with a consistent dose and small dose increase/decreases.

19 is a senior kitty but still not too old to continue treating him. There are members on here who have kitties that are 20++ years old with diabetes that are doing fine. It is all about the quality of life. If Oyster is still eating, drinking, playing. pooping. peeing. grooming and enjoying his time then it is certainly not time to think of letting him go. Getting a better handle on the diabetes treatment program would make you and Oyster feel much better. My Tuxie who has been diabetic since November 2014 also has other health issues which make treating the diabetes more challenging, but he is still doing well overall and I will continue with his treatment for as long as he has quality of life. I understand the frustration of bouncy numbers but don't give up.

I note that you free feed Nutro Max Natural Choice Dry Food. It would really be better...if possible...to remove all dry food from his diet and just stick with the low carb wet food. Dry food has higher carbs and with many kitties that are especially sensitive to carbs it can cause glucose numbers to jump up.

You will get more attention on the Lantus/Levemir forum:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/lantus-glargine-levemir-detemir.9/

If you could update your spreadsheet and do another posting there with the information you put here there are lots of experienced users that can assist you with the best direction. :bighug:

Last edited: May 14, 2016
    Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Critter Mom

@Tuxedo Mom - Very glad to see you on this thread, Mary Ann. :) I wasn't much help.

Mogs

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  5. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Mogs you were very helpful and posted a lot of good information. Even if you don't use Levemir you still have a good understanding of how it works and your input is very appreciated. :bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. Critter Mom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.