Woody's almost full curve- shocker!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ellen and Woody, Mar 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ellen and Woody

Ellen and Woody Member

Hi all,
    Here is Woody's latest update. Would appreciate advice on dosing at the +12 hour:
    AMPS 290. Gave 3 units Lantus/+2= 116/+4=51/ +6=86/ +8=161/ +10=303!

Is this normal to nose dive and then climb back up so steeply? Would love advice on what to shoot at +12, since it will be into the 300's. My normal inclination would be to shoot at least 3, but maybe I am overdosing and getting a rebound????

BTW, he free-feeds on wet food <6% carbs. No dry. He ate throughout the curve at his own choice, esp at the nadir of 51. He is at his ideal weigh of 14-15 pounds. Has developed neuropathy and I want to regulate him better.

We love him and appreciate any help you can give to keep him as healthy as possible.
    Ellen

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Do you have our spreadsheet program Ellen??

We really need to see that to be able to help advise you. We need to see how he's been doing over the past few weeks so we can answer your questions fully

That IS a pretty fast drop from AMPS to +2, but without knowing how he's been doing, there's just no way to know if he may be getting too much juice. 3 units is a pretty large dose for "most" cats

Here's the instructions on "How to create a spreadsheet" . It's every bit as valuable a tool as a low carb diet and a good insulin

3. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

I see Wendy gave you some advice on your other condo....

I don't know how long you've done the 3 u ....
    I think (imho) that if you continue at that.... you need to monitor as you will likely get another 51 or even lower....and earn that
    decrease.
    He might be dropping even lower at night.... and you are getting a bounce which is totally normal.
    So tonight he might need to be watched ....

sounds like you are doing well over all....
    do you have him on zobaline or some other type of methylcobalamin?

4. Chris & China (GA)

Well shoot!! I replied and then my computer crashed and now it's gone

Do you have our spreadsheet program, Ellen?

It's really almost impossible for us to advise you unless we know where Woody has been and how he's been responding to different doses. 3 units is actually a pretty high dose for "most" cats, so I'd be hesitant to advise you without knowing more about how he got to that dose and what kind of numbers you've been getting.

Here's instructions on "How to create a spreadsheet" . The spreadsheet is a very valuable tool...every bit as important as the correct diet and a good insulin!!

With him dropping so much from AMPS to +2, he's probably "bouncing" tonight, but it's also VERY possible that he's getting too much insulin, so if you could get that set up, we could really help you with him a lot more! Cats bounce for several reasons...they drop too low, they drop a lot lower than their body has become used to (like from 400 to 250) or from dropping quickly. I'm concerned that all 3 are possible with Woody! I would have wanted to get another test after +4 to see if he dropped below 50 because that means he would need to be reduced

If you have trouble with it, let us know and we can help you get it going!

Edited to add...and now my other reply shows up...sometimes I hate computers!!)

5. Ellen and Woody

Ellen and Woody Member

Hi all helpful people: I do not have any previous spreadsheets as this is my first real curve. Past, partial curves have shown :
    Nov 2013: AMPS 280 gave 2 units Lantus/+4= 168/ +8=118/ +12= 122 (no shot)/ +16= 276/ +24 with no PM shot=297
    Aug 2014: AMPS 300 gave 2 units Lantus/ +4=253/+8=290/+11=338 gave 2 with new vial/+12 after PM shot with new insulin vial=348
    Does this help? What should I shoot him tonight??? IU am 30 minutes behind!
    Ellen

6. Chris & China (GA)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.