Woody's First BG on Lantus: 131!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ellen and Woody, Sep 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ellen and Woody

Ellen and Woody Member

After trying just a diet change for 5 days (even tried 48 hours of nothing but cooked chicken) and not budging Woody off the 300 BG range, our mountain vet still wants to try diet change only since Woody is under 400. That is their protocol before starting "Pro-Zinc" insulin. They do not recommend Lantus. Our desert vet (Woody's main vet) did not agree so she called in a RX for 1 unit of Lantus twice a day. We were so relieved to start insulin and give Woody his first 1 unit shot last night.

This morning's pre-shot, pre-food test has him at 131! Based on what I read here, newbies should NOT give insulin when BG is below 200. So we did NOT give Woody any insulin. DID WE DO THE RIGHT THING? We plan to test him again (pre-food, pre-shot) this evening.

We are now feeding only canned: Wellness grain-free turkey, BG 96% turkey, BG 96% beef and Evo 95% chicken & turkey. Is it OK to vary these on different days for variety?

I leave Saturday for a 15 day, off-the-grid backpack trip, leaving my hubby alone with all this. I need advice on the safest, easiest protocol for him. When I return, we will re-familiarize ourselves with curves and tight regulation. But for now, what are some basic rules since it is hard for hubby to always test pre-shot. But he is home most all the day and can keep a sharp eye on Woody with karo syrup handy. Current Rx is 1 unit Lantus twice a day.

I am SOOOO glad that the FDMB exists! I have learned so much here and appreciate the emotional support!

2. Yes. You did the right thing. :smile:
    Have you fed him?

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Vet stress may raise the glucose level 100 - 180 mg/dL. Switching from dry high carb food to low carb canned or raw food may further drop the glucose 100 mg/dL or so. So with a vet office test of 400 mg/dL, it is possible 200-300 of it could be diet and stress.

This evening, if he is high enough to give insulin, I would suggest no more than 0.5 units, given how low he went on the first dose and the above factors.

4. Ellen and Woody

Ellen and Woody Member

Thanks for the quick responses. The 131 was a pre-food BG. I have read more about this on the FAQ'a and agree that perhaps the 1 unit was too much for a first dose. Will take your advice about shooting 1/2 unit next time, but test first.
    THANKS!!!
    Ellen & Woody

5. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Sounds like you did the right things to me!. I would recommend you do 3 things though..

1. Read the protocols on dosing http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1581 OR http://binkyspage.tripod.com/SLGS.html

2. Set up a spreadsheet (we can help let us know) that allows you (and us and your vet if you want more advice) to track how Woody is doing http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18207

3. ask lots of questions! :)

Let me know
    Wendy

PS variety is the spice of life! So yes, feed him variety!

6. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

My cats don't like to eat the same food every meal and neither do I. Yes, of course it's ok to mix it up and keep your kitty Woody interested in a variety of foods.

I use about 5-6 flavors of the Fancy Feast classic and Friskies pates to keep my cats eating.

Good call on skipping that dose with the 131 BG reading. You don't have enough data yet to know how low your cat Woody would go if you gave him a shot when he was that low. Over time, you will gather more data and that suggest 200 for shoot/no shoot number will get lower and lower.

Yeah for the desert vet! We like Lantus. Seems to give kitties that smoother curve and lasts longer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.