Worried about civvie

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Squalliesmom, Mar 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

My civvie Khoji seems to be having tummy issues. He didn't eat much breakfast or lunch, and practically no dinner. I gave him a treat a couple of hours before dinner and he threw it up, along with some hair and what looked like a bunch of lint or carpet fiber, and a "needle" from a fake Christmas tree. He is licking his lips like he's nauseated. I also have not seen him in the litter box in a couple of days (doesn't necessarily mean he hasn't gone, but it's a possibility) and in general, just seems like he doesn't feel good. I don't know how worried I should be, I tend to panic too quickly, but I am worried about him. Does anybody have any ideas or input that might help?

ETA: In thinking back on it, I realized he threw up twice a couple of morning ago; no food in his system yet so it was just liquid, maybe a bit of hair.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  2. Squalliesmom

Oh dear, now he is hiding behind the sofa. That's very unlike him. I'm so worried about him.

3. ja9390

ja9390 Member

If he is prone to eating weird stuff that isn't food I would maybe see about taking him to check for a blockage. One of mine likes to chew on Walmart bags

4. Squalliesmom

He usually doesn't eat weird stuff (I have another civvie who eats all sorts of bizarre stuff!), but he's a cat so who knows?!? It looks like I'll be calling the vet again in the AM. :(

5. Andy & Pimp

Andy & Pimp Well-Known Member

If he's not looking any better in the morning I would call the vet too. Does he seem dehydrated? (tacky/pale gums, loss of elasticity in skin, sunken eyes)

I'd call that weird stuff.

Sending tummy vines :bighug:

@ja9390 watch the plastic bags! A member here recently had a kitty hospitalized for a few days over eating bags. The manufacturer uses an animal fat product to coat the bags so they don't stick together. My civvie won't leave them alone either :eek::banghead:

Critter Mom and Squalliesmom like this.
  6. ja9390

ja9390 Member

Oh great. I put all of them up the other day but I still have to watch him around those stray bags he finds laying around every so often

Squalliesmom likes this.
  7. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Could he be trying to bring up a hairball? I have 1 that gags for a couple of days before he ever gets it out. He looks and feels bad while that's going on.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  8. Squalliesmom

I checked for dehydration and he seems okay - I watched him drink from his fountain, too late this afternoon. Yes, that is weird stuff, he just usually doesn't ingest things like that. Thanks for the tummy vines! :)

9. Squalliesmom

I guess, maybe he could be. I finally got him to nibble a little chicken, but tonight he looked at his dinner bowl like it was his mortal enemy and quickly backed away from it. He is the one who always wants to clean up everybody else's leftovers, usually!

10. Squalliesmom

Yes, they do coat those bags with an animal fat substance. That's why so many cats think they are tasty, making them a real hazard to our babies!

11. Squalliesmom

He's hiding again. He won't sit with me, which is usually what he does when he doesn't feel good, or needs comfort.

12. Liz & IttyBit

Liz & IttyBit Member

Please get him checked for an intestinal blockage. We had a cat who ate the cotton stuffing from a toy mouse along with a piece of tendril from a grape vine basket which caused a blockage.

Critter Mom likes this.
  13. Squalliesmom

I will. I'm calling his vet first thing in the morning. This is definitely not his normal behavior, I've never seen him like this and I'm worried sick.

Critter Mom likes this.
  14. Liz & IttyBit

Liz & IttyBit Member

Sending positive thoughts that all will be well.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  15. Squalliesmom

Thank you! He is still hiding and obviously not feeling well, but I did finally see him have a bowel movement, thankfully. I scooped it up to take into the vet in the AM - some of it seemed very hard, but it looked fairly unremarkable. It was a bit whiffier than usual.

16. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Lucy,

Sending prayers and :bighug: for Khoji and yourself. I think you are very wise to take him to the vet. I hope he feels better ASAP.

Useful link:

www.felineconstipation.org

BTW if he starts producing paler whiffy stools ask the vet about doing a SNAP fPL test for pancreatitis.

Mogs

Squalliesmom likes this.
  17. Squalliesmom

Thanks, Mogs, for the prayers and for the link. I just hate not knowing what's going on with him! So frustrating, when maybe I could be doing something to help him! I'm really scared he has a blockage, or has eaten some object that is doing him harm.

18. Critter Mom

I know those feelings so well ... :(

:bighug: Lucy :bighug:

19. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Lucy - really hope to hear good news about Khoji soon (either that he is eating again or the vet gave some easy to fix answers)

Critter Mom and Squalliesmom like this.
  20. Squalliesmom

It's not officially "breakfast time" yet but I gave him a tsp each of two foods he likes to see if he would eat. He ate all of one and all but a small bit of the other. So far not vomiting or lip-licking (although he was doing some lip licking before I offered the food, don't know whether from nausea or hunger, or both). We'll see, at breakfast, that will tell the tale, and we'll decide from there. Fingers and paws crossed that it was just a passing thing, but, to me, he still doesn't seem like himself.

ETA: He actually played for a few minutes this AM, that's encouraging!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  21. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Good luck Lucy - hope he eats or you can get to the vet

22. Critter Mom

If it was some time since he last got anything into his tum perhaps he may have had some stomach acid build-up.

You have very good instincts with your babies, Lucy. Go with your gut.

Keeping fingers and paws crossed that it's just a temporary appetite wobble and that Khoji will be right as rain in no time.

:bighug:

Mogs

23. Critter Mom

An afterthought - if you can get him to eat a bit, try adding a little water to his next feed. If he hasn't eaten much he might be a bit dehydrated.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  24. Squalliesmom

He ate a bit of breakfast!!! Maybe 1/5 of the dish - it's not his favorite food but hoping he'll come back and eat a little more. If not, I have some of the faves on standby.
    Thanks, Moggy! I always add water to their food, but I gave him a little extra H2O with breakfast this morning. I also gave him some pro- and pre-biotics. I would like to give him some pumpkin but not sure he likes it and don't want to discourage eating!

25. Critter Mom

We'll have more of that please, Khoji! :)

Have you tried raising his dish, Lucy? And perhaps warming the food a little bit? (Both help Saoirse.)

Mogs

Squalliesmom likes this.
  26. Squalliesmom

Thanks, Mogs! Yes, did both. I really think raising his dish helped. He also got an extended break from his relentless nemesis, Candy; I think that helped, too! He ate a fair bit more of the HC food that I opened yesterday for Squall, he really likes it!

Critter Mom likes this.
  27. Critter Mom

Great progress, Lucy! :) C'mon, Khoji. :cat:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  28. Squalliesmom

He seems much more like himself now, seems to be improving as the day goes on, and much more comfortable in his body, but we're still ready to run to the vet at the drop of a hat!

29. Carol & Murphy (GA)

So happy Lucy - and you must be thrilled with Squallie's response to Lantus!

30. Squalliesmom

Yes, I really am, even though it's a bit scary at times, lol!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.