Worried about Newkitty--yellow diarrhea & vomiting

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by allie and newkitty, Jun 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allie and newkitty

allie and newkitty Member

Newkitty is not feeling well this morning. For those who don't know us, she has IBD, pancreatitis and of course diabetes. Her numbers have been outstanding (below 200--usually below 150). We have maintained her weight between 13 lbs 10 oz and 13 lbs 13 oz since October.

Last night she had normal (for her) diarrhea and seemed to be off but ate ok. Today when I woke up she seemed to be laying uncomfortably. I offered her some food and she turned away. Something about the way she was laying bothered me so I reached up and tried to feel her underside to see if she showed some discomfort and she cried and turned away. I went downstairs and there was a pool of yellow diarrhea in one litterbox, uncovered. I do not recall seeing stool this color from her before. I scooped a sample into a ziploc,

I came back upstairs and she got up and came down so I followed her into the other litterbox where she strained and had very gassy, watery yellow diarrhea. She got out, walked 4 feet and vomited twice.

Newkitty vomits a lot but it is *always* ate-too-fast regurgitation. We have not had real vomiting since her last panc attack--think that was in 2006. She will always vomit bile with an empty stomach but I do not allow her stomach to be empty as a result, and it was not empty this morning.

I am very scared because of her many conditions and my normal vet has left the clinic.

Any thoughts, advice, and prayers appreciated. Newkitty is 13 years old.

2. allie and newkitty

When I said normal (for her) diarrhea, I did NOT mean she has diarrhea a lot. Just that the diarrhea did not look abnormal compared to how it looks when she has it. She has it occasionally (once every few months) no cause or reason we can see, and it just goes away again.

She is on 20 mg pred a day for the IBD & Pancreatitis and she also takes 1/2 pepcid a day.

3. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Absolutely no advice but sending good vibes! Pls sen update when you can

4. allie and newkitty

Thank you, Jen and Squeak. Newkitty must be having painful diarrhea because she just had diarrhea again and then vomited twice, again. The vet can't see us until 2:30.

5. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Allie, if she seems very lethargic or not as responsive, take her in sooner (just go in) or to the ER. Sounds like she is on her way to becoming badly dehydrated in addition to whatever caused this in the first place.

6. allie and newkitty

Will do, Jess. The ER vet is closed during the day hours but I will just carry her in to the vet if she gets those symptoms. She is drinking a lot of water despite the nausea.

7. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers for NewKitty.

8. allie and newkitty

Thank you, JT!

9. allie and newkitty

We are back from the vet. She suspects a virus rather than pancreatitis this time but said it was not a clear call. Newkitty has not had diarrhea or vomiting since 8 am (anti-jinx!!!). Because she was visibly painful at exam and also breathing funny (a hitch) they did an xray and saw a lot of trapped gas in her bowels. She got a shot of Reglan, a shot of Buprenex, and 200 ml of LRS with some B12. Her blood work did not really show an obvious infection and for the most part her liver values looked pretty good (in the past few panc flares they have usually been up, at least the ALP and sometimes the tbil). However today her BUN was 36 and her creatinine I think was 1.9. She said that could be from dehydration but might also be early stage renal issues so we go back in a month (if not sooner with the belly stuff) to have the kidney values rechecked once she is well-hydrated. She gave us two buprenex shots 'to-go' and instructions on how to give Imodium if she has diarrhea again (she said she wanted to stick to a very low dose, and only if necessary).

Newkitty is on the couch doing the spacey, straight-ahead stare that she did once when they gave her Torb. I was hoping her pain would ease enough for her to lie down and sleep. When our other cat took Buprenex he was able to sleep. When will she feel better?

10. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

remember, higher BUN could be from high protein diet, too. vets tend to forget lots of us diabetic kitty moms give them that.

11. allie and newkitty

I did not know that, Chriscleo! Thanks for the heads up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.