Worried...Am I overreacting??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by wsugold, Jan 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wsugold

wsugold Member

hi everyone...

so last time i checked in, when simba got diagnosed his # was 438. the vet said to put him on prescription m/d which i did. he doesnt really like it. i had originally mixed the new food in w/his purina for him to get used to it. now there are only a few kibbles left of the purina and he is picking them out. i have tried to do the canned food, that was a bust bigtime and due to him not eating i caved and gave him back the prescription m/d. every once in a while he will take a few bites but nothing much.

he has lost another lbs...he is now 15lbs. but that is not my worry though i'm sure it should be.

my concern is the drinking...or lack of! b/f he was drinking like a race horse. now he really isnt. he isnt peeing as much like he used too and when he does its very small now. b/f it was huge but that was b/c he was drinking so much.

his mood seems better than b/f though. he has been playing and spending more time w/us, where as b/f he was just sleeping or drinking all the time and u could tell he didnt feel good. but he now is slowly acting like the regular simba.

but this lack of drinking is making me nervous/scared. are his kidneys failing? what do i do?

i made an appt w/a new vet on thurs. i just feel this is the right decision. i have already gotten the records from the old dr and she is pissed i did that. do you think he can wait until thurs?

i'm sorry if i am overreacting, but this lack of drinking is not like him lately.

thanks in advance
    michelle and simba

2. akbahsMum

akbahsMum Member

438 is high, and cats drink a lot when they are numbers are high. My cat was drinking like he was on fire. Now his numbers are lower, and the mad drinking has stopped. I'm happy about that.
    If he's not drinking at all, that would be a worry.
    Hopefully someone with more experience will be along soon.

3. Jenn & Baxter

Jenn & Baxter Well-Known Member

This is my experience....before Baxter was DX he was drinking & drinking. He was drinking over 1 1/2cups of water a day. He was going to his box lots.
    Once he got on insulin....I would say within the first week he stopped all of that. He drank hardly any water & only went to his box 1 time during the night & a few times during the day.

What I do to make sure Baxter gets extra water is add a couple of tbsp of water to his food. I warm the water it really brings out the scent of the food. Baxter can smell & gets excited to eat. He is hardly is ever at his water dish.

It's okay Simba won't eat nasty M/D it's high in carbs. There are other foods on the market with a lot less carbs. Remember stick with canned. High protein low carb is the best diet for FD. Keep trying with the canned food. Mix it in with the dry. Once you get Simba off of the dry food I am pretty sure you will see his numbers drop. Some have even seen a 100 drop. Keep trying don't give up. Keep in mind it's what is best for him.

Jenn & Baxter

4. wsugold

wsugold Member

do you think its ok to put the purina in with the canned food? otherwise he wont eat it and i don't know if he will even w/the purina. he is very stubborn and doesn't mind starving to prove/make a point!

when we went to the vet on jan 16th, that is when his glucose was 438. we started him on the m/d b/c that was the vets recommendation. when i started reading the boards, i realized canned is what i need, but again he just refuses to eat it.

its only been the last couple days i've noticed the peeing less. but b/c of simba's stubborness of not eating while trying to give him the canned food i don't know if that has anything to do w/it or not.

5. Okohme

Okohme Member

Ditch the M/D. Seriously, the prescription diet food belongs in the garbage can. I use 9-Lives. I've personally verified the low carb count on the flavors I use.
    It sucks when they're already losing weight, but sometimes you have to try and wait them out until they give in and just eat some of the darn food. You can at least find some lower carb kibble to try and get kitty through.
    Its too bad that your vet has an attitude about you choosing another vet, but you are paying for a service and deserve to be choosy.
    Like others have said, pouring water over the food can add some extra water to the diet. you can get some stuff that is essentially simulated milk that is formulated for kitties at many pet stores. I use it as a treat from time to time. But get some nice low carb fancy feast or something. With my Diabeto I had to rub a little on his mouth the first time and then he was like "oh, okay, I'll try a little of that."
    You can also check the skin for elasticity to check for dehydration. Videos on youtube can show you how.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyJTJ0sF ... re=related

I would think he'll be okay until thursday.
    Keep testing the BG and keeping an eye on him!

6. DaniCoz

DaniCoz Member

I'm new to this myself, but I can at least direct you to some information that might help.

This is from the FD "Urination" page:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/urine.htm

You could use this guide to see if Simba is drinking/peeing a normal amount.

Here is some info about transitioning a cat from dry to wet: http://catinfo.org/docs/Tips for Transitioning PDF 1-14-11.pdf
    Dr. Lisa's website has some great info, and was so helpful to me when Charlie was diagnosed.

I'm sure others will be along with more help shortly. :smile:

7. Jenn & Baxter

Jenn & Baxter Well-Known Member

Yes, try mixing the dry with the canned. If Simba won't eat canned right now by itself.
    Have you read Dr. Lisa Piersons transation to canned food? www.catinfo.org take a moment & read it. It might help you.

Good Luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.