Worried Need Help!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Angiebaby, Oct 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angiebaby

Angiebaby Member

Ok, Babygirl's bg is really low before she ate. I just noticed she has not went to the bathroom for several hours, as her box is still clean. She only ate about 2/3 of her food, and has slept all day. I am really unsure what to do. I don't want to give her insulin if she's too low. I am going to do another bg in about 15 minutes to see where she is before I give her insulin, but I need advise. I can't figure out what is going on with her today. Please Help!

2. Kimmied

Kimmied Member

Hi, how is she doing? Any better? Will say prayers for her. Sorry I can't give you any advice since I'm a newbie too. Try not to worry.

Kimmie

3. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

She is risng and over 200. If you are thinking things aren't right (your gut is a good indicator) maybe give .25 (eyeball 1/2 of .5)?

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Feline Constipation will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about the feline GI tract, how it works, and what you can do if it doesn't.

5. Angiebaby

Angiebaby Member

45-55 minutes after eating she is at 353. I gave her 0.25 of insulin, and will do a bg in an hour. Do you think I need to do later bg's too or just watch her.

6. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

She seems to be going up. Maybe watch her and get a before bed test so you can sleep peacefully?

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You may want to make a vet appointment if you find no evidence of fecal output after 3 days. She could be blocked and need an enema before trying any routine preventative/treatments like Miralax or Metamucil (these can push on an obstructed arae and cause tearing of the Gi tract)

8. Angiebaby

Angiebaby Member

She's doing much better, poop and all. Thank God, I was so worried. Her numbers, however, are either steady or rising, depending on the time of day. I have the ability to monitor a dose change on her for the 1st 24 hours on Wednesday, so that's when I am going to change her dose for 0.50 to 0.75 units of Novilin. Wish us luck, pray for us, and if you have any advice I am always willing to listen. Thank you all so much once again for all the advice and knowledge you have imparted! God Bless everyone and of course all our SugarBabies!

9. Angiebaby

Angiebaby Member

Alright, I am so confused. Her numbers drop at night, but are higher during the day? Anyone know what would cause that? I am not going to change her dose yet. Instead on Wednesday I am going to do a complete curve with her current level to check her numbers throughout the day and night.

Question, when doing a curve with a peak between 3-4 hours, at what times after insulin should I be testing her? BabyGirl is very good with testing, so as much as is needed is ok. Again thank you all in advance for the advice.

10. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

There is often a food spike about 2 hours after feeding.

Are you feeding her 30 minutes before the Novolin? That kind of insulin may hit hard and you want to be sure the food is on board first.

The general duration of Novolin or Humulin N (NPH) is roughly 6 to 8 hours, with the lowest glucose about +3 to +4 hours after the shot.

In case you haven't read it thoroughly, here is the Humulin/Novolin Primer, which will give you details on using it as best as possible.

Try measuring how much she eats at night and how much she eats during the day.

Also, many cats go lower at night. You may find that she needs different doses of the Novolin for AM vs PM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.