Would it hurt to give Harley METHYLCOBALAMIN

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Harley's Mom, Feb 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harley's Mom

Harley's Mom Member

Since there is a chance that the curvature in Harley's front legs may be neuropathy, would it do any harm to try him on methylcoblamin? Another words, is it worth a try or could it do damage if that is not what is wrong with him?

Also...since I noticed his legs had this odd curve over a year ago, is it possible he had untreated diabetes for that long without it showing up or without the Dr. noticing?

Also if it won't hurt him, where should I get it and how should I dose it?

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

It won't hurt to give this to him. It's a vitamin and whatever the body doesn't use, will pee it out. Keep in mind that depending on the severity of the neuropathy (assuming it is neuropathy), it may take longer to see positive effects and reversal. It typically goes in conjunction with insulin regulation.

But I say go for it.

3. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

agree -- it cannot hurt him, but it usually takes weeks to see results

4. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

Neuropathy uusually clears up with regulation and methyl B-12 can help speed it up. It won't really work by itself.

5. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

6. Harley's Mom

Harley's Mom Member

I was able to find methylcobalamin at a local health food store today during my lunch hour and I plan to start this supplement today in the evening meal. I am not sure if I will just try to pill him or sneak it into some food. Harley is not easy to give pills to but since these disolve very fast I may be able to keep in in long enough to disolve.

This may not help him at all but I figure it can't hurt and we seem to have his numbers looking pretty good right now!

7. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

If you want, I purchased it from vitacost.com

They make one that has no taste and you can easily mix into the food. I used to empty one capsule per day into the food.

http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Vitamin-B-1 ... lcobalamin

I also liked this one as it did not contain any sugars.

8. Mal and Tubby (GA)

Mal and Tubby (GA) Member

I use Vitacost too. Good company .
    The B12 is in capsule form . tasteless powder. very easy to use. 5mg per cap [5000mcg] :smile:

9. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Moonie has been on methylcobalamine for 2 yrs..She still has problems with the neuropathy, but walks on her toes a good deal of the time.
    The methyl B12 really helped her off walking on her hocks, but it did take time--She couldnt jump on the bed, or anywhere else.
    Now she jumps where she wants & gets around really well..
    It is THE treatment for neuropathy...I use lifelinknet.com and they call it Xobaline for cats(but it is 3 mg of methyl B12)-
    BUT why if it is for cats, do they flavor it with Cherry????? :lol: --Why not chicken?? :mrgreen:

10. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

You can also find a pill crusher at most pharmacies. It is good for flavorless pills because it reduces the pill to a find powder you can mix in their food. Obviously doesn't work if the pill tastes horrible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.