Would someone please check Casey's ss and advise

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Terry and Casey, May 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terry and Casey

Terry and Casey Member

Casey has not been eating much. According to the vet she should get 325 calories p/day which would be 2 large cans. She never eats this...I think it is just too much for her. Yesterday, she hardly ate at both preshots so I cut the dose down to .5. This morning she was at 166 so I did not give her shot. She was crying for food but only ate about a quarter can so I gave her some YA dry that I had a sample of. She ate most of that. I ran home at lunch and +5 was 207. Not sure what is going on with her. If she is shootable tonight what should I give her? If she isn't eating the canned should I just give her the low carb dry...evo?

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I would feed her what she will eat at this point, while still offering the wet low carb. I would guess the lower numbers may have something to do with her not eating, but she may just be doing better with the insulin too. She will probably be higher than usual tonight as it will be 24 hours since the last shot. I don't think I'd shoot more than .5 regardless. See how things shake out, get her eating and then consider whether she needs more or less insulin.

Is that 2 large cans or the small Fancy Feast ones? If Fancy Feast, 2 cans is certainly reasonable. If it's the large cans, it sounds like too much to me.

3. Terry and Casey

Terry and Casey Member

Thanks Sue. I appreciate your help. She was 283 at PMPS. I gave her 1/2 can of Merrick surf and turf and 1/2 cup EVO dry. She ate about half of both and I gave her the .5 unit of prozinc. I am talking about the larger 5.5 can of wet food. Seems like too much to me. She was always a nibbler and was free fed dry and she never ate much at one sitting. Do you mean 2 cans of FF at one meal or one can per meal?

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, that does sound like a lot of food. I feed my kitty 2 cans of Fancy Feast daily.

.5 should be okay. It might be wise to get a test or two tonight just to be sure she doesn't drop

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.