? Would you shoot right now? ( a earlier shot )

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sherrib, Feb 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sherrib

sherrib Well-Known Member

I am just getting home, the last time skittles had any insulin was at 10:52 PM Feb 3 ( Friday night )

This AM his BG was good & he didn't get any, right now he is 250! I'm not sure if ate while I was gone ( I don't think he did) do you think it would be OK to just go ahead and give him 1 unit right now?

2. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Assuming you're 1 hour ahead of me so it's 3 hours since your last post. Did Skittles eat yet and if so did you test?

sherrib likes this.
  3. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

A wildlife rehabber! I was just going through my PVR and found one of my all time favorites. Nature on PBS, Animal Odd Couples, have you ever seen it? A coyote buddies with a Las Vegas rescued male lion, a cheetah best friends with a yellow lab. Absolutely amazing stuff and most of it not fenced in or forced. Are you back at work?

sherrib likes this.
  4. sherrib

I just tested him, since I know it's been over 2 hours I went ahead and gave him 1 unit. His BG was 256. Its safe to say that he is fully out of remission. Who knows if I can get him back on Anti-biotics and or his tooth removed maybe he'll go back into remission

5. sherrib

No, not back to work yet. Come Spring might be a different answer I only specialize in baby possums and baby squirrels

6. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

On the days he doesn't get insulin it might be helpful to get some tests in to see where he's at after eating. Like the morning of 2/3 after he ate with no insulin could have shown how high he's going... Possibly making his pancreas work harder or longer than it would have to if he would have gotten .25u on a 193. I'm not trying to tell you to give him insulin that low. But if he's spiking after his food it might be beneficial to begin giving a tiny dose. You won't be able to know this unless you get more tests in on the days you don't give insulin... Every cycle really is best. You'll have to be able to tests often if you decide to try this after getting more data.

If anyone disagrees with my thoughts please don't hesitate to say!

sherrib likes this.
  7. sherrib

You must be reading my mind, because I've been thinking the same . Especially the part about his pancreas working harder or longer. I've been meaning to ask about this and you just happen to bring it up which I think is awesome, thank you for doing so !

Yesterday he had awful numbers , and I had given him Friskies the day before and he just was not responding to his insulin like he had been, if you look at his spreadsheet which I'm going to post yesterday's numbers and today's numbers too. Now he hasn't
    Friskies, only fancy feast and it seems like he responded better to the Insulin or rather his pancreas, I don't know which one. This is kind of making my theory of the carb change with Friskies seem more of a reality. Maybe if they changed even anything with it and it still low maybe skittles has become more carb sensitive. And then of course there's always the issue with the tooth, I don't think his infection is back but from what the could see he said that the guy was either very swollen or have started growing over the two or I guess in other words the tooth rotten downwards ( receding gum line ) The smell that he had when he had the infection is not there, and I can tell when his BG levels are really high from the smell that comes from his mouth , it's not the smell of a get from keto's .... shoot I can't explain what I'm trying to say.

Feb 2 ( Friday ) he ate Friskies Flaked tuna & egg or just tuna ( he got both)
    AMPS-265 ( 1 U)
    +2.5=171
    +5 =205
    PMPS -299 (1U)
    -2- 294 ( no change , never happened before )

Feb 3 (Sat ) eating FF
    AMPS-166 ( no juice )
    +8- 250
    PMPS-253. ( 1 unit )
    - 4 = 122,

Watcha think y'all kí

8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

definitely would have shot the 250. Since you are using A human meter I would have given a tiny dose at the amps of 166, too. At
    .25. On a human meter you want those numbers under 120 so the pancreas can rest and heal. Aim for 80-110.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    sherrib likes this.
  9. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

You could shoot the higher 100s with a micro dose but only do it if you can monitor closely. You don't want to risk hypoglycemia if you won't be home or able to test. You might want to do a curve or at least a mini curve (every 3 hours) on him when you decide to do your first tiny dose on a higher 100s. I personally wouldn't shoot anything under 180. Due to the 20% variance and his pancreas working better on some days. Hard to tell what day it will feel it's time to take over. I would start at .1 unit too. (Can measure this easier on a u100 syringe with conversion chart) Better to give to little than too much. Can't stress enough the importance of being able to test a lot during those cycles. Only do this if you're comfortable with it... You hold the syringe and make your own call. Don't feel obligated to try if you don't want to. Won't hurt our feelings!

My boy is very carb sensitive. He doesn't do as well on friskies as he does the 9Lives. I don't think there's that big of a difference in carbs but his numbers are higher on it. He's sensitive to food in general. He can increase from baked chicken breast! I think I know what you mean about the high sugar stinky breath. Chuck's gets a different stink to it when he's higher too. Not the acetone smell that's often reported with DKA. Just a different smell.
    The pm cycle on Friday had no change at +2 but could have dropped into the blues mid cycle. If I don't see a lower number at +2 I try to get a +3 or +4 reading before bed to see if he's got an active cycle. Sometimes it's just absorbed a bit slower or there's a bigger reaction (increase) to the food.

sherrib and Kris & Teasel like this.
  10. sherrib

We are stinhndd
    No on has ever mention this, I've always used a human meter and always followed shooting at 200 & above ( unless he got into food & I wasn't sure if that's why his level were high )
    So this entire time , over a year he should've been getting insulin?

11. sherrib

I'm glad you understand about the breath smell . I need to slowly reread this whole thread when I can concentrate better .
    All I want to do is get him back into remission.

StephG likes this.
  12. sherrib

Where is the Conversion chart that everybody mentions. I guess I need to get some U 100's . I don't feel comfortable trying to shoot a smaller dishes with using my U40s . Even doing a 1/2 U scares me even though I have been it a few times. My eye sight is really bad right now. ( seems that when my fibromyalgia acts up like it is right now my eyesight is a little bit worse. Besides the body pain it makes me very foggy thinking and hard to concentrate )

13. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

sherrib likes this.
  14. sherrib

So is everybody in agreement that I should be giving him insulin even when he's under 200 but not ?? What number ?? Using my U40 's? If some feel more comfortable sending me a private message please do so, I just want any and all feedback and advise so I can determine what would be best for me to do ( with everything going on with my own health problems right mow & money problems)

15. sherrib

What do you mean by " every cycle is best" Do you mean give insulin at every cycle or test at every cycle ?

16. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Steph meant testing every cycle is best.

sherrib and StephG like this.
  17. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

It's ultimately your decision in the end. We can only give you our thoughts on what might work. Use caution and always be able to monitor when starting a new dose or change in dose.

You probably could start out by shooting at 190 and above. You need to do what YOU feel comfortable with. You could also do a retest if he's closer to a shootable number.
    You also have the choice to stall when he's close to 200. If you wait 20 minutes and he goes up before his meal you could shoot what your usual dose for what his second reading is.
    I think it's safer to try a tiny dose the first time you shoot a blue or even low yellow.
    It's a harder sugar dance for you because his body is taking over some days...

sherrib and Kris & Teasel like this.
  18. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Yes, I meant testing every cycle is best.

sherrib likes this.
  19. JanetNJ

We tell new people not to shoot under 200 because there is not enough data and we are trying to avoid a hypo.
    No.... The middle of Dec 2015 until January of this year he had great numbers. Almost always greens or low blues. That's what we want to get him back to.

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  20. sherrib

So since I'm not a newbie, then I should probably be shooting when he is not over 200 but still in the high 100's.
    yes he did have good numbers for a very long time, usually stayed in the 90's. and I'm really starting to think he went out of the 90's because of the food then because of what he had ate. He has only had Friskies off of the safe list made by Dr. Lisa. But I really think some have changed. I have to keep changing up the flavors because they get tired of the same one and won't eat. Like yesterday he had high numbers and he had Friskies. Today my daughter fed him for me and she grabbed the one can of Friskies I had left and fed him that and his numbers were;
    AMPS-222
    PMPS 305! Gave him 1 unit and fancy feast and now his number is ;
    -2= 185 ( he dropped from 305 to 185 in 2 hours )
    He is running around playing right now.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  21. sherrib

I do test every cycle since he fell out of remission, especially since he isn't getting anymore antibiotics . I did miss 2 test though last week

22. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that nadir for ProZinc is typically around +6 to +8. So if you could test around +5 or +6 tonight it would be a good glimpse of how low he's going. That way we can see that 1 unit dropped him how ever much on this day.

I'm hesitant to say yes give insulin under 200 because I would NEVER want to hurt anyone's cat and I can not guarantee he will be safe or not go into hypo levels.
    The next time he's around 200 and you will be home to test every 2 hours you could try giving him a micro dose (like 0.1 or 0.2 units) to start ONLY IF you feel comfortable doing it.

23. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

It's hard to tell because the days he was in mid 100s he didn't need insulin to stay there so the smaller the dose the better.

How is your vet feeling about it all? Maybe they could give you better advice or ideas?

24. sherrib

He wants me to wait and shoot at 350! So as from as me trusting him that isn't really happening but I do like all the other work that he does and he does support me home testing

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    StephG likes this.
  25. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Have you tried looking in the otj forum here? Maybe they could help you decide what a good plan would be while trying to go back into remission?

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  26. JanetNJ

It was more likely the infected tooth rather than the Friskies.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.