Wrong way with Cami's dose?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA, Aug 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

She has been climbing and spending all day in the300s, so I raised her dose. Today - two 400s! Now I am wondering if I am going the wrong direction? She had much better numbers on .4u.

2. Marcy & Klinger (GA)

Marcy & Klinger (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: Wrong way it Cami's dose?

That 145 was a nice surprise this morning. Will you stick with the 1.25 (when you get strips) or do a trial to see if her dose really is closer to .40?

3. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Marcy, that 145 has me totally confused! I don't know if the move to 1.25 (from 1u) made that big a difference or if she was really low before that. She was at 112 at +6 this afternoon. That doesn't look like a bounce is happening....

I ordered strips last night thinking I would have them Friday, but then I saw a note on the listing that he isn't shipping until Friday! I have 8 strips, so I am not going to make it until those arrive. I have to get strips, fast, somewhere else. I even priced my TrueTrack meter's strips and they are $32/50 locally - but $23 from the same company online! That just makes me furious.

So, to sorta answer your question, I think I will stay in the 1-1.25u range unless she gives me a number below 50. If that happens I think I will try .4u, or even .25u and see if I get better numbers.

4. hmjohnston

hmjohnston Well-Known Member

Poor Cami has all sorts wrong with her and now problems with her dose :sad:

I hope you figure it out soon. When it comes to the small increments I'm really no help at all :cry:

5. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Now she is in the 400s this morning... sigh.

And I am down to 3 strips. My order (Monday night) isn't even getting shipped until this afternoon. I am hunting down a source for strips locally that isn't so exorbitant that it blows the entire advantage to the price I paid on eBay. My neighbor, who is diabetic uses a different meter, but said he could lend me his spare - and some strips - over the weekend. I may have to take him up on that.

Cami had a checkup yesterday and the vet is pleased overall with her appearance and demeanor. She said she is well hydrated, her gum color is good, and she was alert and interacting with them during the exam. I won't get the lab results on the blood work and cystocentesis until Monday. We will be looking for a change in her kidney values (hopefully a positive one) as well as an increased potassium level. Cami was very talkative in the car on the way there - not crying, but obviously a little stressed. On the way home, though, she slept so maybe she is learning that car trips, even to the vet are not always horrible.

Now, if I can just get her BG and dosing figured out :roll:

ETA: I ended up buying a Target Up & Up brand meter and 25 strips - cost was less than 25 strips for my contour - locally, in store - and now I have a spare meter I can get cheap strips for near me if this ever happens again. Strips are $9/25 - and $36/100, which is not bad. I got 256/275 tonight on Contour/Target.

6. hmjohnston

It looks like the new meter runs good then?

when your strips get in you can do a few side-by-side and see how accurate it is compared to yours.

7. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

I did 3 side-by-side tests for the last 3 Contour strips and it looks like the target one runs 7% higher than the Contour. I got the new strips on Monday, but have been using the Target meter this week. I think it's a good meter and would not hesitate to recommend it for a good meter with local, cheap strips. The pricing is odd, though. For 25 it's $9, for 50 it's $20 and for 100 it's $36 - so the same "per" price for 25 & 100, but more for the 50 count. Weird.

Cami is up to 1.75u now and I plan to raise her to 2u tomorrow night after a few spot checks during the day. She is still coming for cuddles every morning and I can get her to jump up on the bed by herself. She LOVES to bury her head into the crook of my elbow, but if I am lying down next to her, she buries it in my stomach. She purrs the whole time - can last 15-20 minutes. It's very cute.

8. hmjohnston

At least she still loves cuddles. Didn't it take her a while to get to that point?

I guess they figure more people would do the middle of the road and go for the 50 count without realizing that they are paying more.

9. Marci and Buddy

Marci and Buddy Member

Sheila- I can only tell you that after dealing with Buddy's numbers for almost 5 years now, i know that when it comes to his dose,
    less is less and more is more...the higher the number, the more he needs to come down.
    I haven't posted his SS in a few months now-but he is , for the most part, normal (anti jinx).
    At almost 18 y.o. he's still a fiesty dude.
    Best wishes with Cami...I know you will find out what works for her soon.

10. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Finally seeing better number on 2u (mid-upper 100s at PS).

She took a very long time to get to cuddling. Now she is getting on the bed by herself or jumping up with me coaxing her. This morning she got up and stretch out next to me, purring and hiding her head for 45 mins! She has been getting up on the testing table as I prepare her meds and Beau's meds and waiting patiently for me. That is also new. She has gotten up there before, but always leaves if she can't find any treats waiting for her (she gets a treat in the am just for getting on the table).

She also has a full undercoat, something she had none of when I got her. Unfortunately, she also has some mats, but so does my other long-haired, Ariel. Ariel has never had mats before so I guess the weather has been a "perfect storm" for them this summer. Might be the oddly cool weather followed by hot weather... don't' know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.