WTH is going on??? Both older cats kidney values skyrocket!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Melanie and Smokey, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

I am afraid to feed my cats! We've never had bad kidney numbers in the past. When Smokey's cardiology reports were bad at the end of October, I started to mix in lower phosphorus foods and get rid of the really high phosh Fancy Feast foods even though her kidney values were still normal, we knew the treatment for her heart would tax her kidneys.

At Taz and Smokey's Dec 6th wellness both had elevated kidney values. Smokey was started on a binder and fluids and her heart meds (except lasix) were stopped. Taz was started on calcitriol since her phosporus was still normal. We lost Smokey on Dec 26th. She was not eating for the previous day or two and blood tests at the e-vet on Christmas found all her kidney values through the roof and fluid therapy compromised her heart so we couldn't do anything for her.

Now on Taz's recheck, everything has climbed (BUN 57->71, Creat 3.5->4.9, Phos 5.6->8.8). She has always been a very healthy cat :( Other than arthritis, no physical signs of aging. They weren't even going to run a full panel today, just check calcium, but she's went from 11lbs to 9.2 in less than a month!

They're both 15, but still this seems so sudden and drastic. I feel like I made them sick from feeding FF for so long with such high phosphorus levels in it :(

We've started Taz on the phos binder now and are trying fluids (much less cooperative than Smokey) and will get her a kidney prescription food since she doesn't need to worry about diabetes and saving kidney function is our top priority.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Re: WTH is going on??? Both older cats kidney values skyrock

There are low phosphorus, low carb, over the counter foods. You don't need to use a prescription diet.

Also check out Tanya's CRF site

3. Teddy's mom

Teddy's mom Member

Looking at the charts, it seems that a lot of the low carb varieties are high in phosphorus. I don't know what the answer is, if I find something low carb and not ridiculously high in phosphorus, the fat content is high. My cat has big time issues with a high fat content. I was having problems with him throwing up and switched to the gluten free ff varieties. It seems to have helped with that, but I am concerned over the high phosphorus content. I'm worried what will that do to him over time?

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Whereabouts do you live?

Tanya's web site has a canned food list for review.

If you're so inclined, both Dr Pierson of Cat Info as well as Ohio State University Veterinary Clinic do food consults for home diet preparation.

5. Melanie and Smokey

We switched them over to OTC low phos/low carb foods 2 months ago when Smokey went onto her heart meds (the low phos/low carb options in Avoderm, Wellness, Merrick, Proplan, Authority, and Max Cat). They don't seem to be doing us any good at this point :cry: I couldn't care less about the cost of prescription foods and I will give anything a try at this point. My one concern is that the one I picked up today is mainly pork based. Someone in the house puked pork based foods before.

Thanks for the link to Tanya's site, looks like a lot of good information there.

I live in Fargo, ND.

Unfortunately I don't think our schedules or our cat's personalities would make home diet prep work.

She did better than we had hoped with the fluids. Got mad when the needle was going in and tried to bite my husband, but not crazy wild like we expected and settled in as soon as we got the needle in. Her lump was almost immediately and no wet spots from leaks. After she got the fluids she had more energy and spunk that she's shown in 2 weeks. Fingers crossed it helps.

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

It may help to warm the fluids - think baby bottle temp - by placing the bag in warm water. It should feel warm on the wrist, not hot.

7. Melanie and Smokey

I do put the bag of fluids in the sink with luke warm water for about 10-15 minutes before. Probably not getting it baby bottle warm though, just slightly above room temp. She was fine with everything but the needle getting inserted. Once that was done she settled right down. She's our tempermental one so the fluids all actually went much better than we expected.

The Hills prescription seems to be a no-go. She wouldn't eat it at all. The Wellness came out and she was quite happy to eat again. I'd like to get the protein down a little though. I know that low protein isn't necessarily that good, but I don't think high protein is good for a BUN of 71 either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.