x-rays for stomatitis??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Steph & Cuddles (GA), Mar 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Steph & Cuddles (GA) Well-Known Member

Vet called back & said since the pred didn't work for her stomatitis, the next step would be x-rays, to rule out any masses in her chest?? I asked why at first when they said x-rays, and double checked. Said they need the x-ray to check the asthma & for masses. I told her it wasn't the asthma that was bothering her.. it's the stomatitis. The back of her throat is still as red as when we started the pred. It obviously hasn't done anything. (except control her asthma) But nothing for the stomatitis.

I did get an appointment with our usual vet, Dr Bennett. Dr Ryan is the one that saw her last time.. but her next available is Saturday! & Bandit's still been making that weird gagging/gurgling sound, even on the pred. I"m almost 100% positive it's from the raw irritation in the back of her throat. I heard it, and looked at her one time, and she looked like she was trying to yawn.. and that was making her do it. (Doesn't yawning mess with (& stretch) the back of the throat?) She has no teeth left either, so it looks pretty pathetic too. :sad:

Anyway.. I've gotten lots of suggestions & links for stomatitis, but just want to make sure the x-ray is a good idea? (I got an appt for 11:30 on Thursday.) I didn't want to wait too long.. that angry red back there doesn't look comfortable. :sad: I just hate to pay $100 for x-rays if they're really not needed!

2. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Oops.. & sorry if this was supposed to be posted over in the general health forum! Feel free to move it if it should be over there!

3. Gail & Houdini (GA)

Gail & Houdini (GA) Well-Known Member

Houdini has had stomatitis twice and my vet didn't even mention xrays...... It was pretty obvious when he opened his mouth and looked in. He put him on ATB's and it went away.

4. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

I was wondering about that.. usually AB's help with stomatitis too. That may be the next step. I'll ask the vet when I'm there though. I don't know why she'd think there's a mass in her chest/throat?? Maybe the gagging/gurgling noises she's making? Would an x-ray show a mass if it's in her throat or something? Like a hazy image or something? God, I hope she doesn't. :YMSIGH:

I know Lynette mentioned something like Atopica?? I asked last time at the vet, and she said we could try that, but she's seen that it's been very hard on the cat's stomach. Bandit's always been my 'special' kitty with regards to smarts AND health.. so not sure how well she would do with something like that. She seems to puke at any little thing!

5. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Hmm. THey may just mean to do her neck and chest because of the gurgling noise. It wouldn't hurt, an actual physical obstruction should always be ruled out and it's not invasive.

6. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Thanks Jess. Sheesh I hope they don't find anything. :sad: She never did this before her teeth were pulled. So I can't see it getting worse AFTER they're out! Her gums went back to normal color though, that were around the teeth.. it's the throat that's staying red & inflamed. :-|

7. Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout

Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout Well-Known Member

It would also be a good idea to get a chest x-ray to see if her asthma has progressed since she's only been under treatment for a short time since her diagnosis.

8. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Oh, so if the asthma's gotten worse, it could still show up, even though she's been on pred for hmm almost 2 weeks now?

9. ceil99

ceil99 Member

My civie, Lucy (GA) had stomatitis for about a year before she passed early last year. She was given depo shots and it helped tremendously. Vet was concerned about steroid induced diabetes and other complications since she was almost 14 when she was diagnosed, but she was really miserable and I thought it was worth the risk and knew I could test her for the diabetes and keep an eye on her. She tolerated the depo well and never raised her BG at all. :smile:

She was started on the shots once a month for about 3 months, then went to one shot every 2 months, and then finally about one shot every 3 months.

Did your vet ever mention depo shots?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.