Xuxu, 4/3/13 6=750 but happy

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by DebH, Apr 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DebH

DebH Member

Xuxu is very happy since I started allowing him the Iams again. Wouldn't it be nice if it was so simple to make everyone happy?

I put it down to free feed at first, but two days of that told me I couldn't get his BG down at all. So now I give him 10 minutes to eat all he wants of the Iams and then give him his shot. That way I can give him more insulin without being afraid of giving him too much. I'm gradually increasing the dose and watching him during the day.

But apparently he was hoping his whole diet would be Iams. I've always given it to him on the bed where I give his shot and test him. So what does he do? jump up on the bed to find it. He woke me up 4 times last night walking all over the bed and sniffing for the bowl. (I put a lid on it). It was the sniffing that was so loud that woke me up, especially in my ear. Why did he think it was in my ear????. When he didn't find it, he would jump down and eat the canned food on the floor. The steroid has really increased his hunger so that he's eating a 6 oz can of Friskes and about a half cup of Iams a day. The Iams alone is suppose to be his whole needed calorie allotment for a day. So keep your fingers crossed that he will start gaining weight.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

So going with the steroid? Which one - prenisone, prednisolone, or another?

Prednisone always makes me ravenous, whether I need to eat or not! Here's hoping for safe weight gain in your baby.

3. DebH

DebH Member

Prednisolone, I guess it doesn't have to be converted in the body. He is ravenous. But I've run into the drawback. Came home tonight and his entire left ear is red and swollen. I guess one of the pricks got infected. It was fine this morning. So I'm stopping the pred and started doxy until it clears up. I'll have to be really careful in the future and start disinfecting the site after this.

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Yes - steroids reduce immune function. I have to watch for 2ndary bacterial lung infections when I'm on then for asthma.

Use the neosporin ointment w/pain relief - it'll help the blood bead ud up and reduce the chance for infection.

5. DebH

DebH Member

I hadn't thought of that, I don't need it to bead up, he bleeds well. But it would provide a protective layer. I'll do that in the future. Doxy is a slow antibiotic, but it its finally starting to work. He doesn't mind it being touched as much.

6. DebH

DebH Member

His ear is nearly back to normal. We cut his steroid dosage in half so hopefully he won't get another infection. I also cut back on his Iams. He gets 4 pieces of kibble with his injection. That much seems to make him happy but doesn't interfere with his BG as far as I can tell. On 1.5U, he's going down in the 100's, (and then back up to 700's),but isn't getting any ketones. So this may be our new normal. He is eating about 12 oz of Friskes pate a day, which is way more than for just maintenance. He certainly seems happy and I'd swear he's gained some weight. But I won't know until I get a chance to drop into the vet with him and get a weight.

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Glad he seems happy. I hope he's gaining weight; those numbers you gave before were scary.

You might see if you can find a baby scale on Craigslist or 2nd hand baby shop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.