Yearly vacination and BG levels

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sootyca, Feb 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sootyca

Sootyca Member

Was rather shocked tonight that Sky's BG levels had skyrocketed. The only change she has had is that she went to the vet this morning and had her yearly injections. She wasn't overly stressed by this so couldn't say that the increase was due to that.

Has anyone else experienced an increased BG number after vaccinations?

She hasn't eaten since lunch time so she must be feeling poorly - this in itself isn't unusual for her after her vaccination. I tested her again at +3 and her numbers have barely changed which I was really surprised at given that she hadn't eaten.

Hopefully she will drop over night and be back to normal range tomorrow. I didn't increase her dose tonight to compensate but if she is still high tomorrow I will have to consider it.

I'm trying to get her on the same dose both morning and night but it is proving difficult to find one.

Karen

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I have not seen any significant changes for vaccinations. In early Feb of this year BunBun received the 3-year PureVax rabies vaccine and 3-year RCP.
    SOmetimes I will see some increase in PS BG after a vet visit though

Sootyca likes this.
  3. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

It wouldn't surprise me that kitty is not feeling well after vaccines-I don't know about a high bg but when a kitty does not feel well they often do have a higher bg.
    Many different opinions on this subject of whether to vaccinate or not. It can get quite heated.

For those of us who have a more holistic approach (including our vet) we tend to feel that less is more.
    As far as I know the only vaccine required by law is rabies.

There is a titer test if you have concerns about other diseases.

It may be worth you doing some research on vaccination and over vaccination and decide what you think is best.

Many holistic vets consider diabetes a valid reason to give a waiver for any vaccines due to a compromised immune system. If it is a in and outdoor cat a holistic vet will titer the blood to see if anti bodies are still present (rabies does not recognize the titer test by law) and weigh the risk of infectious disease vs over vaccinating.

There are homeopathic remedies to help alleviate vaccine reaction. Thuja is a homeopathic that may help, you can get it at a health food store or probably amazon-
    I hope Sky is feeling better!
    :bighug:
    @Bobbie And Bubba

Sootyca likes this.
  4. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I agree with Jayla about vaccines. Annual ones have not been given for at least nine years. Every three years became the norm back then and my vet stops at age 10 or sooner if there are other illnesses. A titer is a good idea if in doubt. Not all states require rabies. California doesn't.

Sootyca and jayla-n-Drevon like this.
  6. Sootyca

Sootyca Member

I'm in the UK so haven't got a rabies vaccination to do. Every vet I speak to says that although she is indoors as the other cat goes out it is better for her to have them - and I think it is a condition of my insurance as well.

She finally got up at 4am for food - well over 12 hours since she last ate. Not been able to test today as any numbers would be food influenced but hopefully will be back on a better number tonight.

She is still quiet today so I don't think she is feeling fully better but she has had breakfast so isn't too poorly! I will definitely look into not vaccinating - my other cat is always poorly after it as well. I had a stray and he was never vaccinated and lived to a good age so who knows how effective they are!

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  7. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

I'm in the UK too, and haven't vaccinated for about 5 years. My cats are always so sick after it, they hide and don't eat for at least 3 days after. My vet said they'd never heard of a cat feeling ill after vaccinations, but I prefer to go by my own experience. And it's not a condition of their insurance either.

8. tiffmaxee

9. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Our dog often had nausea after vaccinations. There's another creep factor for vaccinating, all the really nasty things you step in and then drag inside your home whether you live on a farm or a condo. We've had outbreaks of Raccoon distemper out here; step in a micro-poo, take your shoes off and it's in your home right down there where all their food and water is. Same thing with Hantaviruses. Why can't nature give us a break once in a while?

10. Noah & me (GA)

That was not meant to be pro or anti vaccinate. Has anyone ever dug deep into Think Tank and seen one particular thread about this that went into a very dark place. Like the arguments a dysfunctional family have at Thanksgiving. "Is it too late to go to KFC? I'm leaving!!!"

11. tiffmaxee

My point was that it has been determined that the vaccines are effective for much longer than once thought, not that they should not be given either. A titer can help determine that.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  12. Noah & me (GA)

Is this what you mean? A titer test?
    Titer testing, also called serology and antibody testing, is a simple blood test to ensure that a dog or cat has responded to vaccination with a specific “core” virus vaccine, for dogs specifically CDV (distemper), CPV-2 (parvovirus), CAV-2 (adenovirus-2), and RV (rabies).

13. Sootyca

Sootyca Member

Sidestepping the vaccination debate, Sky is better in herself now but her numbers are still high. The spreadsheet isn't updated but she was 18.1 this morning and at +4 had only dropped to 17.5 on her 0.75 dose.

I need to call the vets anyway but not sure how long to hold her dose. I know if I increase she will drop back down but not sure that is best for her.

14. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

15. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

I stopped vaccinating my cats after they would get ill every time, I thought my civie was going to die on me the last time, not sure what they gave him but he had a high fever and wouldn't come out from under the bed, very unlike him. So to answer your question, I do believe your cat's BG level would go up if he feels bad after immunizations and they don't agree with him. Lucky for me Hawaii is rabies free; rabies vaccinations and blood tests are required before entry to the state but once here no need for further injections, plus my cats are strictly indoor cats.

16. Noah & me (GA)

I could not gain access to federal law but this is the current law in Ontario.
    "No. Rabies titres cannot serve as proof of an animal’s current vaccination status, and do not meet the legal requirement for vaccination of animals."
    So basically you're on your on your own at home but boarding and travelling will require a standard veterinary vaccination. I have no reason to doubt the law is the same across the rest of Canada.

17. Noah & me (GA)

Sorry, should have read "I have no reason to doubt the law is any different across the rest of Canada.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.