Yemala dx crf 6/18; diabetes return 9/18 feeding advice

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Hroswitha, Sep 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hroswitha

Hroswitha Well-Known Member

Yemala has been in remission since 2011. When diagnosed with crf in June, we switched her onto Science Diet k/d, not realizing the carb load was way too high for her 19 year old pancreas. In Sept., diabetes returns.

She's back on insulin, but we need to settle on food that is both low phosphorus and low carb, but that she'll eat.

Little girl WILL NOT eat gravy. She has never liked it, and never will.

Currently, we are feeding Nature's Recipe Grain Free chicken and chicken liver in light broth. She loves this stuff, and gobbles it. It's under 200 in phosphorus, and low in carbs. Unfortunately, it's also discontinued. *sigh*

I have about 3 weeks more of that food for her, sent to my local humane society as a donation. When she's finished with it, I have to transition her onto something else.

Question: beyond recommending something that meets all three criteria - low carb/phosphorus and not gravy - what is the ruling on the percentage of protein in the food? The stuff she's eating is 60% protein, and my vet told me that if the protein is that high, it's NOT low phosphorus. It can't be.

Is high protein a problem for CRF cats?

2. Harley Baby & Michele

Harley Baby & Michele Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.