Yet Another Poo Question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Shenandoah, Mar 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shenandoah

Shenandoah Member

So after our last bout with constipation/straining to poo, I increased Shenandoah's pumpkin and we seemed okay for the time being, so I haven't added Miralax or anything yet.

But last night we had a severe episode. One where I almost brought her to the ER. She was walking around straining, and occasionally hissing.
    But she finally did pass something - and I can only really describe it as a double-wide. It was two fully formed pieces of poo, stuck together side by side as they came out.

Ouch.

That doesn't even seem biologically possible to me??

Anyone know what could cause this? Is it just some random poor chance, or is it something that could be a symptom of a more serious condition?

I have never seen this before, definitely not during previous constipation episodes.

2. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Ouch is right. Sorry I can't help on this one.

3. Shenandoah

Shenandoah Member

Have a vet appt Tuesday. Hopefully she can help.

4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Double ouch! That really had to hurt. :(

How long before that was Shenandoah's previous bowel movement? Also were the sideways stools very hard or was there any yield in them at all?

5. Shenandoah

Shenandoah Member

I'm pretty sure she had gone approximately 24 hours before, but I can't always definitively tell between my two kitties. She has her "spot" in the litter box, but sometimes they get kicked around by my other one. I am 100% positive she went 48 hours prior to that, because I watched her.
    They were not unusually hard, and had some give. The weird part was just that they were attached next to each other. The end that was attached seemed like it was a bit more firm. I grabbed it up in a plastic bag in case she had any issues following it and I had to take her to the ER vet. Fortunately she's been normal since, so hopefully no one stops by and wonders why I have cat poo in my fridge :p

6. Critter Mom

You know a critter parent is a force to be reckoned with when they've got kitty poop in the fridge! ;)

It might be an idea to freeze it and take it with you to the vet appointment on Tuesday. (Much less 'fragrant' ... :oops:) It's definitely something you need to let the vet know about in case Shenandoah might benefit from a scan (speculating here only).

Not sure whether you've been given this link before but you might find relevant information on www.felineconstipation.org.

Glad to hear Shenandoah has been pooping OK since. Fingers and paws crossed the sideways poop was just a one-off. It would be great to get an update after your vet visit next week.

Mogs

7. Liz & IttyBit

Liz & IttyBit Member

Made me laugh thank you. Glad to hear she's back to normal.

8. Critter Mom

There's definitely a perverse comfort to be derived from knowing that one is not the only person on the planet known to consider - or even indulge - in such behaviours. ;)

Mogs

Liz & IttyBit likes this.
  9. Shenandoah

Shenandoah Member

I've been volunteering at zoos for 3.5 years, and for humane societies for 3 years prior to that.
    In my crowd, poo in the fridge is entirely normal :D

Critter Mom likes this.
  10. Critter Mom

I see you fraternise with the best people! ;)

Shenandoah likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.