Yoshi is back to insulin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Yoshi, Jun 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yoshi

Yoshi New Member

Yoshi was in remission for 5 months, but since 3 weeks his BS is in 250 range. I have started Lantus again with 1 unit and after seeing a vet increased to 1.5 twice per day. I feed him Frieskies Turkey and giblets(as recommended by a vet). His numbers are not changing and I am so worried. Do you think that the insulin has expired. How long I can use a vial? What would you advise me to do?Thank you in advance.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If the vial is older than 6 months, it may have expired.
    You are home testing? Have you got a spreadsheet set up?
    Conditions like pancreatitis and infection can cause the glucose to rise again.

3. Yoshi

Yoshi New Member

Yes, I think the vial is about 6 months old. I was home testing using the instructions and videos posted here. We visited the vet few days ago and she did not mention anything about pancreatitis or infection. Are there any other symptoms that can help me recognise the infection or pancreatitis? I do not have a preadsheet set up here. Thanks again BJM.

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

A cat with pancreatitis may vomit, withdraw, stop eating, reduce activity, etc. Bladder infection would show up as frequent small urinations, possibly tinged with blood. Dental infection - just lift up the lips and look around the teeth - if reddened, its gingivitis/localized infection at a minimum.

If you'll get started using our grid to record your glucose tests, it will help us give you better feedback. Instructions are here.

Understanding the spreadsheet/grid:

The colored headings at the top are the ranges of glucose values. They are color-coded to clue you in as to meaning.

Each day is 1 row. Each column stores different data for the day.

From left to right, you enter
    the Date in the first column
    the AMPS (morning pre-shot test) in the 2nd column
    the Units given (turquoise column)

Then, there are 11 columns labeled +1 through +11
    If you test at +5 (5 hours after the shot), you enter the test number in the +5 column
    If you test at +7 (7 hours after the shot), you enter the test number in the +7 column
    and so on.

Halfway across the page is the column for PMPS (evening pre-shot)
    To the right is another turquoise column for Units given at the evening shot.

There is second set of columns labeled +1 through +11
    If you snag a before bed test at +3, you enter the test number in the +3 column.

We separate day and night numbers like that because many cats go lower at night.

It is merely a grid for storing the info; no math required.

5. Yoshi

Yoshi New Member

Thank you, BJM for your detailed response. It is very informative since I am not very experienced. Yoshi does not have any of the above symptoms. The vet checked his mouth and teeth and he does not have any infections.
    I will look at the spreadsheet and start uploading information. I checked his BG levels today. Six hours after the the shot it was 251. It is not easy to test him, because he does not stand still. He is shaking his head and running.
    I feel very worried, because I called the Marks Marine Pharmacy for insulin and they put me on the waiting list. They do not have any approximate date of delivery. If I need to buy new vial of insulin, I cannot afford to spend $267 - the cheapest in my area. Can you recommend any other stores?

6. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

7. Yoshi

Yoshi New Member

Thank you, I already did. Nothing is available.

8. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

OK - I figured it was worth trying if you hadn't already. :(

Have you tried calling round your local pharmacies to see if any of them will sell you a single pen? I know some people have been able to get Lantus that way, though not all pharmacies will split the box.

9. Yoshi

Yoshi New Member

I will do that. Thank you.

manxcat419 likes this.
  10. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Also check your local Craigslist. Occsionally, you may see one there, or somewhat close to you. Always meet in a public place like a fast food restaurant, for safety.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.