? Yoshi pmps 192 +3 351 insert swear words

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Stressedcatmom, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Stressedcatmom

Stressedcatmom Well-Known Member

Yipes. Lowest pmps ever. Advice needed. Stalling.

2. Stressedcatmom

3. Stressedcatmom

Alpha track btw

4. Stressedcatmom

Stalled. Hit 200. Gave full dose (seven giant scary units) and will monitor. Pray for us :arghh:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  5. Si am cat mom

Si am cat mom Well-Known Member

Looks good to me ... from your testing before the PMPS you could see that your kitty was on the way up. I've learned from here that even after the dose is given, my cat usually rises or holds for the next 1-2 hours after I give him his insulin. Yoshi seems to hit his nadir maybe +6 it looks like.... I'd maybe grab a +1,+3 to fill in the testing holes in your data so you can see how you are looking before that +5/+6. It might help you feel more prepared for the next time you needd to shoot low to try and stay low. I also like to see my guys +10/+11 when I have to stall doses so I can prepare for any upcoming issues with my AM dose. I like to preplan my panic attacks then or atleast be prepared to stall again vs. intervene.

Well done :) The first time this happened to me - I shoved a bunch of food at my cat and cried.

6. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

Good job shooting!

Ming is also on a high dose of 6 units (the highest I went was 8.25u on Lantus). I know it’s scary but it’s the dose that gives him good numbers. Just remember you’re testing and in control.

It does look like a bounce breaking cycle so I’d be diligent in testing tonight. :)

Stressedcatmom and Si am cat mom like this.
  7. Penelope and Mačka

Penelope and Mačka Well-Known Member

It's scary, isn't it? But it's actually pretty okay to shoot. I now shoot lower 100s :)

8. Penelope and Mačka

Even better! It means that this dose is working well!!!!! Yay!!!!!

9. Stressedcatmom

351 at plus 3. I am crying frustrated. I am so tired. Why is this happening????? A 150 increase after insulin and a low carb meal. I don’t get it

10. Stressedcatmom

I guess I need to tell myself it doesn’t matter because anytime I shoot low he ends up high. It’s really maddening

11. Stressedcatmom

351 at plus 3. My stomach hurts. I feel like we can’t win.

12. Stressedcatmom

Thank you for the advice and the much needed laugh. :bighug:

13. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Get some sleep. Yoshi will get used to being in the blue zone. You and Yoshi are getting there. :bighug:

Beth 73 likes this.
  14. Crista & Ming

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

I know it's frustrating. And I'm sure you have heard this before but Yoshi is bouncing from the nice stretch of blues he had this cycle. The insulin has finally worn off and now he's bouncing. It's maddening but it's what they do.

I do think it's time for an increase. I said in your previous condo that I'm not sure if another member suggested to hold the dose for 10 cycles because of the blue cycle previously but I think its' time for the increase. Hopefully a wiser member confirms this.

Si am cat mom likes this.
  15. Stressedcatmom

I didn’t know they could bounce that quickly. When he bounces, it’s usually from pm to am.

I am still at my moms and hesitant to increase because BG could be elevated from her cats etc. I also can’t physically stay up to find his nadar constantly. I’m burning out. Maybe prozinc will be better for us so I can focus on pre and post shot w occasional nadar checks, or I need to get off TR. I physically can’t do this anymore, plus I’m caring for my dad who has Parkinson’s

16. Crista & Ming

If it helps, take a look at Ming's SS.

He's only recently finally having nice numbers and HOLDING them. He still bounces. But the bounces are yellow instead of red and pink. Earlier in the year, he'd dive down to green and then bounce high to pinks and red. He was on 7 units of Lantus.

We changed to Lev and while the dose has gone down a bit, he's still on 6 units but it looks like he's finally understanding how NOT to bounce. His bounces are a lot less higher and don't last for cycles and cycles. Sometimes he only bounces for ONE cycle!

Ming is nearing his second year of his diabetic journey. I know Yoshi was in remission before and that makes it even harder but he may just need more time. And if you're doing TR, I recommend again following its guidelines as best as you can to get optimum results.

Stressedcatmom likes this.
  17. Crista & Ming

We posted at the same time :D

I understand. What's your schedule usually like? I know some of us are testaholics but I believe TR can be done without being one. You do need to take care of yourself too. Perhaps we could suggest how to test at night/during the day.

However, holding doses this long go against what we're working towards. Holding doses that don't work for too long promote glucose toxicity. And the way to combat that is with MORE insulin. So you can see the dilemma. And I know hypo is scary but at the same time, Yoshi's numbers have a lot of wiggle room.

Ming was on PZI before. I switched because he bounces SO MUCH. Wendy has affectionately called him Mr. Bounce before. People from the PZI forum recommended me switch to Lantus to combat the bouncing. I'm not saying PZI won't work for Yoshi but it's not the norm here to go from a depot insulin to an in-and-out one. In a way, it's "backwards".

Wendy&Neko and Stressedcatmom like this.
  18. Crista & Ming

I do want to add that Ming was on pred for ~10 months. Once off, his numbers levelled out but he still bounced anyway. His dose only decreased temporarily and then had to be upped again. This last month, he earned two reductions and is actually holding them which is a first for him.

19. Stressedcatmom

I am a professor so I’m on break until Jan 6. My schedule varies but next semester will not allow for an am cycle test aside from a +2. I’m on break come April.

Prozinc worked for him before, and his diabetes was completely out of control. He could barely walk. So my new vet and I considered trying it again. I’m still waiting on the acro test. I guess I will increase tomorrow, but I don’t see how that will help this insane bouncing.

20. Stressedcatmom

I want to add that Ming looks really cute in that hat! :kiss:

Crista & Ming likes this.
  21. Crista & Ming

We essentially ignore the bouncing cycles. They're a reaction to lower numbers and I treat it as part of the package with having nicer numbers. When I see low numbers, I know the highs are coming. Unfortunate but true. With time (lots and lots and lots and LOTS of it), they'll learn to bounce less, bounce lower, and come back down faster.

Again, we're not treating the bounce. We're dosing based on nadir or how low the dose brings Yoshi. The lowest I see is blue and that's not good enough :woot: So an increase is what's needed.

I'm glad you did the test! When did you do it again?

I think then we should try to make the best of what time you have and if you're comfortable, try to follow TR's guidelines. Once the semester starts, we can revisit how doable TR is for you and Yoshi.

I know some of the more experienced members are probably offline right now because of the time and the holidays, but I wonder if anyone could point you towards an example of someone who follows TR on a similar schedule as yours. Perhaps on tomorrow's thread for Yoshi, you could ask that question.

22. Stressedcatmom

Thank you for your help tonight.

We took the test right before the holiday, so unsure when results will come in.

I’ve looked at all the TR threads of people who wk full time. The only way I could do it next semester would be to change his shot time to earlier and I’m already sleep deprived.

Thank you again, you’ve helped a ton! No one ever really talked to me about the intricacies of bouncing. I’m off to bed :bighug:

23. Crista & Ming

I was just telling my mom I haven't slept a full night's sleep in a year. Even when I'm on vacation, I wait for my mom's text at shot time to know what Ming's PS number is.

I don't have any positive words about sleep. I think it's unfortunately just a part of treating a diabetic cat (the way we treat). I've gotten used to it. It's mightily unhealthy but it's the "sacrifice" I make. Sacrifice is in quotations because although I give up sleep and sometimes have to give up going out with friends and family vacations, I personally made a promise to Ming to take care of him the day I adopted him. Even if it means having PJ parties and waking up every hour to test him at night. I am PRIVILEGED to have a family that is so willing to help me and I know not everyone is so lucky.

If once you start working and you find TR too difficult to manage, you can always do SLGS and see if that works better for you.

ETA: I apologize if that post sounded even a bit condescending or judgemental! I re-read it and could see maybe someone interpreting it that way. I really just wanted to say being sleep deprived is one of the things we joke about and also complain about here at FDMB. It's the price we sometimes have to pay to treat the way we treat. But it's not the only way! (It is inevitable sometimes even if you do SLGS lol)

24. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

I was doing SLGS, and I wasn't sure if I could test enough to do TR, but experienced members said I was doing enough testing. Time is not on my side as I Freckles' numbers are still too high and I'm still aiming for remission. The sooner she gets her numbers down, the better.

I too am on holidays until Jan. 6 (my holidays follow the education system's holidays too). I'm up at 4:45 am, test, feed and shoot about 5:30 and leave for work at 6:00 am. I return home at about 5:30 pm . I commute an hour each way. I get more tests on the weekends and that is when I get more sleep too though. I'm starting to learn how to sleep for 1-2 hours at a time even though I have never been a napper! lol I'm really taking advantage of my holidays right now for getting more sleep and tests. (I'm also taking an online course over the holidays) I'm considering getting a Freestyle Libre put on Freckles when she goes in for her dental appointment in January. That way, I could have 8 hours of data at a time. If Freckles does get a Libre, I will have to ask DH to check it as I'm away from the house for 12 hours at a time.

25. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

More insulin helps dampen the height of the bounces.

Sorry I wasn't on when you go that "low for Yoshi" preshot. You did the right thing. My first blue, and then green preshots, I was very nervous, screwed up my courage and shot. And it was totally anti climatic as Neko bounced right away. :rolleyes: Actually made it a little easier to shoot those lower numbers.

Glad you are increasing tomorrow. Per TR and Yoshi's size of dose, that would mean going to 7.5 units. That one low blue was nice to seek but even with green nadirs we hold 10 cycles. I think it's smart to have your time off to be a bit more aggressive and try to get closer to a good dose for Yoshi. Then you can slow down as your ability to monitor is less. If you can get a +2, you can still do TR. Do you have an autofeeder?

Going to Levemir gave me more sleep. I could go longer between tests, and nadir was much closer to AMPS, so even if I did have to set alarms, they were further apart than on Lantus. Of course, ECID.

26. Penelope and Mačka

I can’t look at your ss right now but from what I read about Yoshi s last cycle and your posts, he’s just having a longer cycle, which is why he was low at PMPS and in the pinks at +3. Macka started to have these cycles lately with the highest dose so far. They stretch longer and to me it is a sign the dose is starting to have effect. Don’t give up!!