Young Again Zero Carb Cat Food - Dry

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Doodles & Karen, Oct 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

I absolutely realize wet food is the only choice for our sugar kitties unless you're like me and still struggle (but getting much better) at eliminating dry.

In July Doodles was put on DM dry (1/2 cup a day). I started cutting that with EVO dry pretty quickly and eliminated the DM all together. Continuing our path to wet only, about 1 month ago I started cutting the EVO with Young Again Zero Carb dry as Doodles would still only eat about 1/2 can FF wet. Within the last 2 weeks I've started using Fortiflora and he's now eating 1 whole can of FF classics at AM & PM meals and we're down to about 1-1.5 tbsp. of this Young Again Zero Carb. Our goal is to eventually get rid of this altogether but honestly I don't see it affecting his BG numbers especially since in the last week we've had quite the "exciting/no exciting" lows and reductions.

Here is the Guaranteed Analysis for Young Again Zero Carb

Crude Protein (min) - 52%
    Crude Fat (min) - 26%
    Crude Fiber (max) - 3.0%
    Soluble Fiber - 4.23%
    Carbohydrates (digestible) 0.0%
    Ash (max) - 5.5%
    Moisture - 10%

Calorie Content
    4205 kcals/kg
    610 kcals/cup

In NO way am I promoting dry food. But for those who have issues with a wet food only diet this might be an option.

Just thought I'd open a "general" discussion although this might be better in the General Health Forum but since my time is spent here and many know Doodles and our situation I decided to post it here :)

Grayson & Lu likes this.
  2. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

YA is pretty well known and the one usually mentioned to folks with dry food addicts trying to transition their cat to wet.
    It was a friend of mine here who had a stubborn dry addict cat that tried it first and actually managed to get her cat otj for a few years with it.
    It has been discussed repeatedly in the last few years....
    you can search it in the search box and see those discussions or even just scroll back in the subject lines in the main forum....

:cool:Congratulations on getting yours eating more wet.
    for those wondering why wet is so important....www.catinfo.org

those who struggle have to go with the go slow protocol because tight regulation protocol needs wet food.

Doodles & Karen likes this.
  3. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

It's not just a matter of carbs - it's also a matter of moisture because diabetic cats are typically dehydrated. Many people make the canned food as soupy as their cat will tolerate to try to get enough water into the cat's body.

Kidney disease is a real problem with many diabetic cats, so you do want to be concerned about the effects of dehydration on kidneys. As you look at people's condos (threads) you'll see many are on low phosphorus diets because of their kidneys, and many also end up getting sub-q fluids for that same reason.

You can find a ton of articles if you check with Dr. Google on "dehydration+kidneys".

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Also, aside from the issue of canned vs dry, you really can't use the guaranteed analysis figures to determine carb amounts. You need the "as fed" values. As fed doesn't include minimums or maximums -- it's "as fed."

5. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

This is great and why I wanted to open the thread. I'm so worried about "other" things. Believe me we are on the path to all wet but it's been a huge challenge. I feel like an ass (excuse my language) for ever feeding by babies dry. Seriously... I just didn't know any better until now...when it's too late. In the meantime I do feel this food is better than others offered in the market.

6. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

i agree with you for those who are stuck.

here I have 3 new kitties, and one that was here.... and they are willing to eat raw..... yet since I adopted so many....
    i can't afford the raw.
    I'm keeping it in the mix.... but having to go with friskies pate and fancy feast classics....
    none are diabetic.... all young.... just want to feed them well and hope for no health issues.

7. AlyMcF

AlyMcF Member

I give Sketch (and his non-diabetic buddy Max) YAZC on occasion. They both have preferred dry food throughout their lives, but it's clearly not done either of them any favors, as Sketch has diabetes and Max has early stage kidney insufficiency. Still, there are those times when they cats are clearly hungry yet upwilling to eat the wet food on offer. YAZC to the rescue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.