Young Again Zero Carbs for out of town trips?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by underdawg, Apr 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. underdawg

underdawg Member

I posted this in the introduction forum by mistake so here it is again for some of you...

When I go out of town for a weekend , I have to leave timer feeders with canned food since I don't have anyone who can come in to feed my four cats. I have one diabetic, one crystal cat and two civies.
    I hate leaving canned food out for two days and have been hearing about Young Again zero carbs dry food. I wonder if anyone has used YAZC for meals when going away. I was hoping to leave two meals of canned food and two meals of YAZC. When I am home, they will get their canned food all the time but I needed something for when I am away for a couple of days. While away, my diabetic does not get shots. I need to know how giving two meals of dry would affect the BG, dosage etc. for my diabetic. I also need to know how long Lantus actually stays in the system or how much would be in his system when the first dry meal would be eaten.
    Example: he would get a shot thursday night and not get another shot until Sunday evening. His first dry meal of YAZC would be Saturday night. So there would be 48 hours between his insulin shot and the YAZC meal. Then when I come back on Sunday evening, I assume I may need to do a smaller dose.
    So if anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it. Thanks for your help.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Most of my cats will not eat Young Again.
    Are the cats separated? otherwise one or two may eat it up and not leave any/much for others. Also, if no timed feeder the cat may may gorge itself. Two of mine would do that and one has when he go into dry food.
    Some cats get GI problems with an abrupt change of food

3. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

I have had great luck with the YAZC , my boys love it. My cats are off insulin and their numbers are great eating this although they don't get a lot of it. We too will be going on vacation and we have someone coming in twice a day to feed wet food and leave the YAZC down for them to make up for the missed meals...my cats eat every 4-5 hours.
    All you can do is see how it works, test them when you get home.

4. underdawg

underdawg Member

Thanks for your responses. The cats are not separated. They are littermates and get along well. But since they were feral, any changes like closing doors for separating them would cause a lot of anxiety. They all eat and sleep together most of the time with no issues. No one seems to be a pig when it comes to eating. They all eat a little then come back later for more as they graze all day until the food is gone. I think part of it is that they prefer not to be crowded when they eat.

I do use timer feeders. I have four with two sections each. So two sections open up for each meal. The sections that open are in two different feeders. In the event a battery dies, I want at least want one section to open. For example, if I label the sections 1-8, sections 1 and 3 may open for breakfast, sections 5 and 7 for supper, then 2 and 4 etc.

If I use YAZC for out of town trips, I would have to begin using it for treats to get their stomachs used to it before trying it out one weekend. I ordered a sample and gave each a few pieces to see if they liked it. Apparently it passed the taste test. I am just skeptical about how it may affect my diabetic and his dosage over a weekend. But I really do need a food for the second day that is not spoiled. That is why I was asking about YAZC.

Glad to hear that your cats are doing fine on it Robin S. That is encouraging. I don't have anyone who can come over to feed mine. They are scared of everyone except us.

5. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

Mine are also littermates and both are absolutely terrified of people other then us. Then person who comes in cleans their litter box and then put the food out and leaves.
    I hope the Young Again works for you as it's nice to have it as a back up plan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.