You’re Invited! Trixie’s OTJ party scheduled :D

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by KittyPurry, Feb 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KittyPurry

KittyPurry Member

It’s looking like Trixie is going to be having her OTJ party in a few days! 2 more days of AM and PM readings and it’s official :) I couldn’t be happier! I really think that changing up her cat food from dry to low carb wet was a huge factor in her progress. I’m glad that I listened to my cat mom instincts and made the switch even though my vet didn’t agree. The few dribbles of Lantus that she had helped, too. Her coat looks sleek and beautiful, weight is back up, she’s back to playing like a wild woman, and sometimes when she crawls up on my chest for a snuggle I truly think she is thanking me for helping her feel better.

I don’t know what happened, her readings just started creeping lower and lower. She threw a random 400s number one day that I have NO idea where it came from or why it happened…. But since then it’s been all greens.

So what’s next for us? Is she considered to be “in remission”? How do I continue her care? Is there any reason to be alarmed about a number in the high 40s in a cat that ISN'T on insulin?

Thank you to everyone who answered questions, gave support, shared their experiences. As horrific learning to home test started out being (many tears, panic/anxiety attacks, saying “I can’t do this!”), I feel like it has greatly empowered me in the care of my cat family. I know how to monitor this thing for my kitties, and I can stick around to help encourage others that they can do it too! I enjoy our special testing time even though it’s not ALWAYS a pleasant experience :) But I feel pretty connected to her in those moments, and it’s like she knows that it’s all in her best interest (more likely, she knows it’s get poked if you want to eat hahaha).

2. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

I just posted the otj directions in Blackie's thread today. Take a look there, Scarlett.

Basically Trixie is still diabetic and you need to treat her as such. She's diet-controlled. It's normal for her to be in the 40's and ok when she's not getting insulin.

Congratulations! I'm so glad for both of you.

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Congratulations Trixie!

She'll always be diabetic, but a "diet controlled" diabetic...No dry food for her ever again, and only low carb canned!

Cats can have normal BG's even as low as the high 30's, so as long as you're not giving insulin, those numbers are fine!

4. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

Go Trixie!! :D What a beautiful set of numbers so far on your OTJ trial! Those high 40s are great numbers for a cat who's not on insulin :)

5. KittyPurry

KittyPurry Member

Boyfriend always jokes that Trixie's workin' hard for the crunchies haha

6. AZJenks

AZJenks Well-Known Member

RSVPing! Goooooooo Trixie!

7. KittyPurry

KittyPurry Member

link? couldn't find it in your recent activity

8. ramonaghan

ramonaghan Member

Congrats to you and Trixie! Here are the OTJ trial instructions I got for Henry (though you're most of the way through them now):

Start the trial on the next green pre shot. If he/she is green at your normal test times, no need to test further until the next "PS" time; just feed small meals and go about your day. If he/she is blue at your normal "PS", feed a small meal and test again after about 3 or 4 hours. If his/her number is lower 3-4 hours after a meal, then the pancreas is working!

Post every day so we can monitor your progress and see if any tweaks are needed. He/she may have a sporadic blue number. Don't panic but post before you decide whether to shoot so we can have a discussion.

After 14 days of no insulin, we have a party!!

Sometimes the trial doesn't work the first time and we have to give a little more support in the form of resuming insulin. It's not the end of the world if that happens; we just give him/her the support needed. Our goal is a strong remission and it's better to take our time to get that than to rush into remission just to have it fail later on.

Good luck with the trial!!!

Once he/she is through the trial successfully, you enter a new phase. Your cat is still diabetic but has now become diet-controlled. Continue feeding low carb food in the manner successful for your kitty. If you decide to change his/her feeding schedule, let your meter be your guide to the best times to feed. Avoid medications with sugar in them and steroid medications unless they are medically essential. Continue testing blood glucose weekly for the first month and then monthly forever. It's a good idea to weigh him/her monthly. Weight should remain stable. If he/she seems "off" or sick, or is showing signs of diabetes (excessive drinking, eating, urinating, weight loss), test his/her blood glucose right away. Keep the teeth and gums clean and healthy; dental issues can bring a cat out of remission. If you see rising blood glucose numbers, it's time for a visit to the vet!​

KPassa and KittyPurry like this.
  9. Tina & Sammy

Tina & Sammy Well-Known Member

We can't wait to attend!

10. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

WTG Trixie & Scarlett!!! Blackie's currently on the OTJ Trial period, as well. The other posters above me are correct in saying that Trixie will never be a non-diabetic. She'll be diet controlled only, but in remission because of the diet being controlled. You've done a great job... You both have! :D

11. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

WaHoooooo! Congrats - from one OTJ Trixie to another!

12. Marilyn and Polly

Marilyn and Polly Well-Known Member

Ohhhhh, a party. And for such a wonderful reason.

Marilyn and Polly

13. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

thanks for posting the directions, Rachel. I was posting on my phone and it's too hard to copy and paste things using it.

ramonaghan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.