ZOBALINE and decreased appetite?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by tomtom13, Jul 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomtom13

tomtom13 Member

Have any of you heard of Zobaline decreasing appetites?

I started giving Tom 1 tab. of Zobaline for cats a little over a week ago. Since then...his appetite has slowly waned. Just wondering if there is a connection?

I stopped giving it to him to try my own "experiment". I hate to stop though...as ANYTHING that will get him feeling more youthful and help with his legs I hate to stop. but an appetite is more important.

thanks for any input

~kelly

2. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

I haven't heard anything but stopping for now seems a good idea. However I do notice that there are a lot more blues and greens the last week. If he is getting regulated he won't need as much food so it could be that too

Wendy

3. terriy

terriy Member

I started giving it to CL about a month ago and I dont see any effect on her eating habits. If anything she is wanting to eat more.

4. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I do not see any decrease in J.D.'s appetite from using Zobaline.
    I bet it's like Wendy said, when they are in the normal BG numbers, they tend to need less food.

5. TheBowHuntress

TheBowHuntress Well-Known Member

Hi Kelly :D

I'm reading here that TomTom's appetite has decreased. Approximately how much does he eat in one day?

How are his bowel habits lately?

I also note on your SS that on 7/14, he weighed 10.5 and on 7/22, he weighed 12.1--that's great, however, about 1.5 pound difference, in light of smaller appetite. Maybe your scale is off a little?

Have a wonderful Sunday.

6. tomtom13

tomtom13 Member

Thanks all!!

I guess I will re-start the zobaline. not that he is missing it! he doesn't like them at all! I tried hiding them in his FF, but that was a bad idea.....I certainly don't need him growing an aversion to that!! So I just wrap them up in real meat pieces.

anyway

as far as becoming better regulated, and appetite slowly decreasing as it should.....I didn't think that would have so fast!! a few good days, or about a week and half I guess....and the body slowly adjusts? that's all the time it takes! I figured he would be "starving" for months after "regulation". so this is good news

oh well, I should not be worried...he is eating just fine. I would say lately about 4 cans of ff, maybe a little less? and he usually gets a snack of real meat too. mind you, I don't open 4.....I open about 10!!! little picky stinker!! I guess I just freak as he would eat TONS more and would never turn his nose up at any flavor!

I think the vet told me he should be eating about 6.5 oz. a day....so he is getting his share.

and of course, now that he is hitting those greens more and more....I wish he would get that appetite back!! YIKES. it sure would help my mini "naps" be more restful if he ate when he was green..... but I have to realize....that is why he is hitting those greens!

as far as the scale:

it is a brand new digital baby scale. I have just figured out though that perhaps I need to weight at consistent times...ie: right before I feed? although a few ounces aren't a big deal

~~kelly
    thanks!

7. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

MY cats appetite varies daily depending on their BG so it happens fast.

What weight is he? You can work out how much he should be getting but if the vet said 6.5oz he is getting more than that. FF is about 85 calories a can:

ie Required calories per day = [13.6 X ideal weight in lbs] + 70

Wendy

8. Barb & Mr. Frog

Barb & Mr. Frog Member

I use zobaline for my babies... not every single day, but when I do, I simply put it in a tiny bit of water first, and it just dissolves, so quickly..... I then mix the food into it, and my cats either don't notice it at all, or maybe they actually like it better, as sometimes, when they refuse a food, if I mix the zobaline in, they'll eat it *shrug* Could just be chalked up to typical feline finicky behavior, but regardless I haven't seen any of my cats give a specifically negative response to the presence of the zobaline

I wouldn't even consider trying to pill any of my cats with a tablet that large, I'm not at all surprised your cat hates it.

Another thought, I do believe there is a flavor coating on the zobaline, perhaps you could just go with something like the vitacost (any brand I guess, as long as it has no xylitol (toxic) or sugar, I just see the vitacost mentioned alot here) methyl b-12 (a capsule you open and sprinkle into food, or mix contents with water in a syringe)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.