Liquid Methyl B-12

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jana+BK+Chester(GA)+Wilbur, Dec 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jana+BK+Chester(GA)+Wilbur

Jana+BK+Chester(GA)+Wilbur Member

Has anyone had experience with liquid methyl B-12? Wilbur needs this to more fully recover from his neuropathy, but he HATES getting pills! I did find it in liquid form, but wanted to know if anyone else had tried it in liquid form.

2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi,

Sorry, I've no experience of liquid methyl B12 (actually I didn't even know that it existed in that form...).

Have you been trying the tablet form on your cat unsuccessfully? Or have you not tried them yet but are assuming he'll hate them because he hates all pills? I used to crumble the methyl B12 tablets ('Zobaline') into Bertie's favourite food and he ate that with no problems.

If you currently have a stock of Zobaline that you're struggling to give your cat could it be worth trying to crush them in a little bit of butter? (I'm guessing - since your cat is a pill hater - that you've already tried 'pill pockets'...?)

Sorry not to be more help. Here's hoping someone here has experience of the liquid form.

3. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Jana!
    I use to crush the pills into a fine powder (they crush easily) and add to Troubles food mix well he never knew the difference.
    So good to see you post!
    jeanne

4. j_o

j_o Member

we used to disolve it in a small amount of water and then add it to Boomer's food

5. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

6. RockStar033

RockStar033 Member

I use injectable methyl b12 on my Annie that i got from my vet. I started giving her 1 shot a week for 6 weeks, then one shot every two weeks for 6 weeks, then one shot a month,, she was back to normal in no time but we continue the once a month anyway.

ask your vet

7. Jana+BK+Chester(GA)+Wilbur

Jana+BK+Chester(GA)+Wilbur Member

Thank you everyone for you help! Wilbur is one mellow lump of kitty...until it comes to pills. I've tried pill pockets and that was a no go (although he did seem to like the pockets themselves...don't even ask how I know that!), and he can see/smell/sense/whatever ANYTHING added to his food. I think I will give Dr. Smith a call and see if she will set me up with injections. He's doing really well since he got here - finally got rid of the worms and have him well-regulated on Lantus - now just need to address the neuropathy and he'll be a perfect extra-sweet young man. cat_pet_icon

8. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

The contents of the capsules were pretty odorless--Syd wasn't a super picky cat but he did resist pills, and he had no problem with the capsules mixed with his food. Maybe it'd be worth trying at least, perhaps mixed with some fortiflora in his smelliest, favorite food? (I would imagine the injectable would be pretty expensive).

9. Kate and Grace

Kate and Grace New Member

There is liquid methlycobalamin (b12), and if you or your vet are familiar with a compounding pharmacy you can have it provided in a cat-friendly formula with chosen flavor based on your cat's taste. You can mix it into food if your cat doesn't like it from an oral syringe. I don't know if that was the thing that made a difference - but Grace can go up and down full flights of stairs again - much different from not being able to make her back legs support her. I wish you the best of luck with it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.