11/20 Silver LIGHTS OUT - 4.4

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by KittyMom777, Nov 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KittyMom777

KittyMom777 Member

Ok Mel I give you permission to say I told you so :lol: Silver seems to be doing fine with one unit. I haven't seen red or black since he's on 1u. I'm glad I didn't go with 1.5.

I don't quite completely understand the shed thingy. I know insulin is to be given every 12 hrs (bad mommy missed the train today so was half an hour late) and I understand there's an overlap so does that mean he's using insulin stores in the shed and therefore these numbers are still a result of the 2u he had been getting? Am I likely to see a return to high numbers when the effects of 1u kick in?

I still think I'm ok with that now if it happens because I likd seeing the stability. He came down slowly last night not a sudden drop.

I will get two more tests in before I go to bed. So thanks Mel and everyone else who convinced me to bring back down to 1u. So far so good. Now to teach Silver not to wake me up at 4am. This mommy is tiiiirrrreed!!!!

Juliet and Silver.

2. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Re: 11/20 Silver AMPS 320.4; PMPS 187.2

Nah I never say I told you so!! I just grin really big. :D

Did you shoot tonight?

Mel and The Fur Gang

3. KittyMom777

KittyMom777 Member

:lol:

Yes I did. One unit. Getting used to shooting blues in the evening. Why is his AMPS always consistently higher than his PMPS? Did you see my question re the shed?

4. MommaOfMuse

Yep but on phone atm starting dinner as soon as I can get to computer I'll answer.

Mel and The Fur Gang

5. KittyMom777

KittyMom777 Member

OK My first green number....not panicking just a little more on the nervous side. His +2 is 73.8.

Staying up to do a +4 in a couple hours. Or should I do a +3 as well? I am really struggling to get blood out my poor baby's ear tonight but we'll do two more if necessary.

You know, Silver has been playing like a kitten the last couple days, I am sure its the lower numbers??? He's even attempting to chase his sister round the house but his neuropathy is holding him back. Wish we could get some real improvement there too.

Mel, THANK GOODNESS I am no longer giving 2 units, can you imagine - I would have lost him for sure the way his numbers are down-trending on just 1 unit.

Juliet and Silver

6. MommaOfMuse

Re: 11/20 Silver AMPS 320.4; PMPS 187.2 FIRST GREEN # at +2

+4 will be fine.

Mel and The Fur Gang

7. KittyMom777

KittyMom777 Member

I'm surprisingly ok with this....not worried about the green... ;-)

Given these lower numbers - and the fact that I am out at work tomorrow - what should my "no shoot" number be? Saturday if its low, I can be more brave with shooting blue if I happen to see it, but I'd be worried going out for 12 hrs if that was the case. Suggestion?

Juliet

8. MommaOfMuse

Okay have a few minutes before I need to flip the chicken and start the rest of dinner.

Now you know why Jill, I and the rest that have lots of experience were having a minor stroke over your vet's dosing. :D We've all seen it just so many times before. It wasn't that he was getting into the blues it was HOW he was getting there, with those fast straight line drops. And those fast drops are exactly why you are seeing the high preshots the next morning. Its really simple physics "For every action in nature there is an equal and opposite reaction" Fast drop = fast rise on the other end. And yes, we were scared to death that if you had stayed at 2u b.i.d you would have come home to either a dead cat or one in a coma and having seizures. Just sometimes it is easier to let a newbie follow the vet's advice as long as they are testing and we can be here to catch them when everything crashes down around them. But yeah, I think just about all of us were holding our breath and praying.

Now for the shed, which really is the trickiest part of the whole dance to explain.

Think of it like this, you have a funnel that you want to fill up so that the water stays level at the top of the funnel, but you don't have anything to plug the bottom hole, so as you fill pour water in the top it runs out the bottom hole. The shed is the funnel, the water you are pouring in the top is the shot just given and the water coming out the bottom is the insulin Silver is using to lower his BGs. If you pour too much or too fast the funnel over flows that is like a HYPO, but if you don't pour fast enough or don't pour enough the level at the top of the funnel sinks. High BGs. What you want is to find a dose that you can give twice a day that just tops off the funnel or shed.

Everything Silver is using to lower his BGs is the insulin in the shed, all we do when we give the shot is top off the shed and replace what they have just used. With Lantus that is because it forms crystals under the skin that have to dissolve before they are effective, with Levemir like my girl it binds and unbinds to a protein in her blood. But both need a certain amount of time in the body before they can do their job and lower the blood sugar.

So to directly answer your question ...Yes, he is using his shed, but not to the extent he was on 2u and once he quits dropping like a rock from the past few days, he will settle down and you won't see those higher preshots in the morning. You may see higher numbers across the board, but not the steep drops and steep rises. Once he levels out then we can adjust his dose slowly.

No shoot is 150 for now we will lower that has he gets more stable

And frankly right now I hope your vet does visit this board again, maybe she will realize how close she came to killing Silver. Not real good since she is using him as a case study because of his neuropathy.

Mel and The Fur Gang

9. KittyMom777

KittyMom777 Member

I was just thinking that Mel. If my vet looks at Silver's SS she will see immediately that had I kept him at 2u, that green 4.1 that I am seeing would be a hypo or a dead cat. You guys can stop holding your breath now cat(2)_steam

Okay 150 it is (that's 8.3?) I am trying to remember to convert the numbers before I add a new post.

Will post his Lights Out number in an hour. If its below 50 then I guess I will be staying up for another hour.

Juliet and Silver

Oh and I am not often in the TR forum but I would like to thank the TR folks for helping save Silver too. Can you post a link to this in the TR? I don't know how.

10. MommaOfMuse

149.4 but close enough :D Actually you don't have to worry about converting I can either load your spreadsheet or multiply by 18.

And I sure will when I get back online. But trust me those that came to the rescue the other night will be watching your spreadsheet. We're mother hens like that.

Mel and The Fur Gang

11. KittyMom777

KittyMom777 Member

:D

12. KittyMom777

KittyMom777 Member

Am I safe to go to bed Mel - he's at 4.4 at +4 so on the way up from 4.1 at +2. Not up by much though.

Juliet

13. MommaOfMuse

You should be fine to hit the hay. He sleeps with you right? If yes, go crash he'll let you know if he needs you to get up and give him grub. :D

And tonight he's not making a run for the basement (dropping fast)

Mel and The Fur Gang

14. KittyMom777

KittyMom777 Member

Lol, I am glad you clarified - we live in a basement! Even if he is not with me, he's not far away. Okay, off to hit the hay.
    Juliet

15. MommaOfMuse

I'll try to remember to clarify our sugar cat slang until you catch on.

Mel and The Fur Gang

16. KittyMom777

KittyMom777 Member

:dizcat thanks!

17. MommaOfMuse

My turn for a late night just tested Autumn she's 48@+8, her nadir is +12
    Sigh

Mel and The Fur Gang

18. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Beautiful cycle tonight Silver!! Great job Juliet.

I too am glad you lowered the dose. We had one vet start a cat out at 10 units. :shock: :shock: :shock: The cat survived, thank goodness. So, we are always a little careful about starting doses.

19. phlika29

phlika29 Well-Known Member

That's great Juliet. I know you were so worried that you wouldn't be able to get silver into good numbers but this is great. It's such a great but scary feeling to see the lower numbers but addictive too.

20. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

We sure are!

Silver's looking good and I'm so happy to "hear" calm in your voice Juliet!

21. nckitties3

nckitties3 Well-Known Member

We've known Mel for almost 2 years and would have never gotten thru that first year without her help. She held my hand and let me cry on her figurative shoulder more times than I can count. She will never steer you wrong.

Love ya Mel!

22. KittyMom777

KittyMom777 Member

How late did you end up staying up? Hope she didn't give you a scare.

23. KittyMom777

KittyMom777 Member

Oooh Wendy 10u that's scary.

Thanks everyone. I am calm now I'm not struggling with who to listen to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.