3/29 Hank- AMPS -79 , +9- 79, PMPS- 70

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by bettyandhank, Mar 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bettyandhank

bettyandhank Well-Known Member

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10478 yesterday

Unsure as ever if he got the drop. pretty sure, but not certain. he got poked.

Collecting microdosing suggestions & methods. We have a new one to try for tonight.

All's well at Hank's ...except the bean is SLEEPY today.

betty & hank

2. D and Noisy

D and Noisy Well-Known Member

Re: 3/29 Hank- AMPS -79

Turn the plunger clockwise while measuring -- it gives better control.
    GO HANK!

3. bettyandhank

D!
    so glad to see you here. Any timing suggestions for us? I've gotten a couple idea and they aren't necessarily the same. i want to do whatever is right, whatever that is. he did such a qucik about face, we had very little duration at any of the last dose steps.

I think my problem on the drop is that I may have been measuring less at both the .25 & .01 thus trying to shave EVEN lower from there is tricky.
    I was already basically at the -0- before. Factor in a bubble, and forget it. it's not like i can SEE what's in there, if anything, to verify.
    My hope is that at least a trace reamains in the needled 'barrel' so he gets something and not placebo.

Do you have any wisdom for us in terms of phasing off. i will go as slow as necessary to give his best chance of permanancy. You've been there. How do you know WHEN?
    I know he has a dental around the corner...not scheduled yet..but inevitable. I want him to be rock solid before that. So getting him there properly and absolutely is my key goal. We don't want to be preamature. I want to do right by him..whatever that may be.

Advice?

4. D and Noisy

Honestly, I don't think you can screw this up. Have you tried expelling what is left in the syringe after you measured the 0? Not into the cat but onto a table or something that you can see if there was anything in it. Maybe you've been on a trial for days. ;-)
    I'm not sure I have any advice -- alls I can do is scream HOORAY FOR HANK and grin a lot. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    Seems he is mighty close to a trial!
    p.s. Noisy went OTJ back when we didn't go down this low in dose. He went OTJ at 0.2u.

5. bettyandhank

So, being an old-timer expert grande dame as you are... i'm seeing 'mighty close' (I agree) as not quite there. Libby thought to hang on a little bit also. We are only a few cycles in on this 'imaginary' dose. (or not)

I have been clueless most of this time. Just think he must have needed a little jump start for his pancreas and I got lucky. But want to be very careful to get this right and not pull the plug too soon. Jury is still out on what/when that is. Know with it being early this is our best chance.

So heading there but seeking guidance and blessings and concenus as we proceed. He may throw me a funny number and clear signal and that's that. But for a couple days...it's just been even coasting.

thanks for keeping an eye out!

6. D and Noisy

My "might close" could mean very very very close -- since I haven't been around for awhile I don't want to just jump in and say go for it -- but in a way I'd like to. :D
    Would rather Libby or some of the others, who have been helping so much, make that call.

7. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Michelle & Scrabble (GA) Well-Known Member

Awesome day for you guys, just wanted to stop by and say hi, I am in the same boat as you about the dental, when Scrabble was diagnosed the vet told me that I needed a dental but I have wanted to wait also since his numbers have been so good. I am afraid to screw up anything too! You are doing great and I see great things for you on the horizon!!!! :D

8. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

All-green all-the-time continues! Yeah for Hank!

You have now finished 10 cycles on this 0.1 unit dose. Unless Hanks goes below 50, you can do about 4 more cycles and then start your OTJ trial. That will be a full seven days on this 'last' dose. If goes low, (below 50) - no more shooting and start the trial. Otherwise hold the fort and you will have a nice 14 cycle run on the 0.1 unit.

As D said, I think he is ready for his OTJ trial anytime now. On the other hand, supporting his pancreas is good to do for a few more cycles if possible.

9. bettyandhank

Can we go to the dentist together? I am so scared about that..and SO utterly freaked out about the $$. My estimate was $925 for a cleaning and one extraction. That's highway robbery. Insane! On top I am so scared to put this Boo-boo thorough anything. Who was it here that had a cat in remission that relapsed after a dental... What does one do? i gotta get his tooth taken care of. I know he must be in pain..i hated that I didn't know. And we have not had the best luck with vets as you know. I'd only had an initial meeting with this new one. Scares the bajeeez out of me.

thanks for checking on us...you'll be there soon yourself it looks like w/ Mr. Scrabble. He's gotten himself in a hurry. Isn't it great!

10. bettyandhank

Look who came to visit...Hey CD!! :) I don't think I've been on the .01..was trying to shave and that's where i think it got hard. Think we were likely at a fat 0 before. So really wonder what if anything he has been getting at all these last couple days. But reduced from before whatever it is (or isn't) MJ called it 'essence of insulin'. Di is right, we may have been on trial already for all i know. i thought about trying to get closer to the top part of 0 tonight to see if i can't be more certain he's getting something. but he looks fine. Just sleeping like a cat.

i got busy today and didn't get a test. I'm now thinking more toward a +9..

BTW, when they do go OTJ...what kind of numbers are you looking for, to know all is well.

Also, note about our impending dental. no time set yet, but it is so very important he is really solid before that. That is risky even without these circumstances. Worries me. Don't want to chance undoing.

Did you have a good weekend? So happy to see you back...

11. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

In the long run that dental will be so much better for his diabetes. Pain and infection can raise BG so untreated he could lose remission. Getting him tip top shape will give him smooth sailing. If he jumps back up for a short time, you know what to do, you're doing it now. It scary because we might do something wrong, but you obviously are because Hank is doing beautifully.

You don't have to be exact at this dose, we are aiming for something less than 0.25 and something more than nothin'. Hold your fat0-onedrop-somethingmightbeintheneedle dose for the 14 shots that protocol calls for and then in 2 days you two can join Smokey and I gum chewing our way to the falls.

12. CD and BigMac

Haha! Ok, 10 cycles on the essence of insulin. That works for me. I used to call it an imaginary dose. Next dose is when you just whisper "Lantus" in Hank's ear. (tm Jojo)

I wouldn't change anything regarding your shot... continue with what you are doing. If it is a fat zero, that's good and if Hank is actually getting nothing, then that's fine too because LOOK at his beautiful numbers! If you change what and how you are loading the syringe you might accidentally be increasing the dose and you don't need to do that.

OTJ trial: Officially the protocol says-- "14 days without insulin and normal blood glucose values. Most remission cats are able to stay in the normal range all of the time (50 to 80 mg/dl), although there are a few cases of sporadic higher and lower BGs."

Sometimes cats have a few higher numbers (100 -120) and often kitties lower their numbers naturally over time as the trial progresses. It is something that is evaluated as you go along. That is the point of giving the trial 14 days, plenty of time to see trends.

13. bettyandhank

I think we have til the weekend. Unless it started already unknowingly. I am watching ya'll. SO EXCITED for ya...oh yeah..and Smokey TOO. LOL!!

what's the bazooka/gum thing..I need to go read the lingo sticky again. There is still all this slang i haven't got down.

So is it day 1 tomorrow,or you starting tonight???

That 200 in your post looked scary. I think I'd cave before then.

14. bettyandhank

...there's that 50-8o 'normal' again. And 'high' of 100-120. these were numbers i was scared to shoot and skipped just over a week ago.

So if, in the trial, it goes over 120...then what??? I probably wouldn't worry on 1 or 2, but not much higher than that.

it's a new kind of worry, to replace the old worry. A jewish mother has to have her drug!

love, love this little boy!

Attached Files:

15. CD and BigMac

OMG, he is such a cutey! I love the look on his face! Innocent guilt.

16. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

So happy for you and Hank! Keep on doing whatever you're doing! Great photo!!

Ella & Stu

17. bettyandhank

Re: 3/29 Hank- AMPS -79 , +9- 79

+9 79 gotta give him consistency. Will it be a triple at PMPS? (per the german's we're on the high side cusp of 'normal')

18. bettyandhank

Was actually falling asleep waiting for shot time.

PMPS: 70. Still retiscent shooting this low..but it's just a trace. Why is he coming down at nearly +12?

Shot was a bit of a disaster. I 'practiced' on the syringe as i pushed the air out..to eyeball where i wanted to stop on the -0-. Then bent it on the way in to the cartridge. 2nd syringe plunger stops much lower on the 0 line than the other, really below it. It was a notceable difference on this tiny amount can skew our dose. So i eyeball it and go....

he had eaten some more cowboy cookout just before (still a hit) ..i went in to shoot...and stuck and he LEAPED forward...more like shot out of a cannon. THAT HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE. I must've hurt him, and so hope i didn't get a muscle or something else. (vet tech told me to insert then pull back before shooting to check for blood, an indication you stuck something, but haven't really done that step since the beginning) We both freaked out. I restuck and now again, even moreso have to hope something got in there. I bombed on that one. Poor baby.

Also on a run of error messages on the strips....aarrghhhh! Anyway, it's over for now and he and I are both glad about that.

I was hoping to get to bed early...was up so late last night, but now wondering if i need to stay up for a check. Problem is w/ such a minute dose, it may be 2-3 hours before it even does anything. I made sure he ate a couple more bites LC, so probably fine. just that number coming down from +9 is curious.

19. CD and BigMac

Another perfect PMPS. Hank sure is driving this bus like a pro isn't he?

Sorry about the difficulty shooting tonight, it can be frustrating but sounds like you got it finally.
    The thing about pulling back the needle before shooting to check for blood... I never did that. I wouldn't worry too much about it, I'm not sure if many people here do that.

20. bettyandhank

Ya think? that 70 threw me for a loop a bit. Why down at +12?

It seemed like I stabbed him by his reaction. I must've hit a bad spot. I sure hope he's ok. We're ok to go to bed, aren't we...it's such a teenie tiny amount.
    I could do a +1:15, but don't think it would be tell me much. The drop won't have begun to work yet, plus he ate just before and after his shot just an hour ago..so food would skew the result.

This is just sorta close to when we got the 49 at +2 the other night. Too tired to go there.

thanks for checking...we're so lucky you are keeping an eye out for us.

B&H

21. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

Looks like Hank wants to get to that OTJ. :mrgreen: I think you will be good at this dose and shooting a 70. He's surfin along quite flat and fine in that range of good greens. Keep some food out so he can grab a snack if he feels feels hungry which will happen if he drops.

I think our kitties love to play tricks with us. The other day I went to give Smokey her shot and when I touched her with the needle she flinched and turned and whined loudly at me. I pulled back, found a different spot to try and same flinch/turn/whine. Third time I did the same thing, but didn't touch her with the needle just moved my hand towards her. The little turkey acted like I'd stapped her through the ribs again. They know making us feel guilty leads to treats and extra lovin'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.