3/31 Hank- AMPS-76, +3-65,+8-64, PMPS 64, +2:15- 53!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by bettyandhank, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bettyandhank

bettyandhank Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10638 yesterday's condo

AMPS- 76 Happy :)
    shot essence of...'the unshot' ...whatever. today w/ stubborn bubble.

May be drinking a bit more water. Not extreme, or maybe I just caught him more than ususal and it's typical? He didn't get up today when the rest of us did to eat or anything. Went back to sleep for more than a couple hours. Had to wake him for test/shot...breakfast in between. He was seepy ...Now has changed to a chair and going back to sleep. Seems fine when he is up...played last night, and so on. Just maybe a bit less energetic this last day or so. All may be well,...his numbers are sure great. I'm just going to keep an eye out.

likes Evo 95% vension we tried this morning. (unlike the orig. Evo) If it sticks, we have another option to rotate in. I sure have thrown out lots of expensive food trying to switch him to all wet and find some variety. Loves his Wellness but trying to keep him from getting bored.

2. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Michelle & Scrabble (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 3/31 Hank- AMPS- 76

Morning! Well even if you are not giving him anything he is doing extremely well, are you ready for all of this??? So exciting for you! I can't wait to be invited to his party!!! :D

3. bettyandhank

You're boo-boo is doing so great, too. You're pushing him down the ladder and I am holding on for dear life! (not knowing if he is even really getting any)
    Not so much any more truthfully...he'll be ready soon. And yes, we will par-tay for my pumpkin boy Hankie-licious.

4. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

Lookin' good Hank :mrgreen:

5. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

Hankie-licious has some delicious numbers for sure!

I'm smiling a lot for you! Most people are in a hurry to go on their OTJ trial and you are dodging and weaving around that, hee, hee! Hank is ready to try it anytime now... but you can continue for a few more cycles of this invisible dose if you like. Just to make sure he is REALLY ready. :lol:

6. bettyandhank

half the time I'm wondering if he's even getting any. Sure would hate to be sticking him for nothing.

He's seemed slightly off the last day or so...maybe no big deal. But the numbers sure don't reflect that. I'm going to try and get some spots today to see what's happening. Itell you one thing, we WON'T be starting it tomorrow on April Fool's! Why GUM anyway?

That Mr. Big Mac of yours is sure a gorgeous boy. I bet he and Hank & Elvis would like each other. They should hang out sometime!
    (mine would probably try to groom him to death and get hairballs) I think my guys might like to borrow his cape sometime.

Hope it's a good day so far.

thanks for popping in :) :YMHUG:

Attached Files:

7. CD and BigMac

OMG! That photo is AWESOME! How in the world did you get your kitties to pose in such a loving way? I'm envious of that. So sweet... I'd make that my screensaver if I was you.

The expression "Gum" evolved from the OTJ trial being called an experiment.... 'speriment ... spearmint.. spearmint gum... shortened to gum or chewing gum or chewing.
    Yup, it's weird how gum came from 'experiment.' But that's the story. :lol:

8. bettyandhank

That one's a few years old. But I have dozens w/ them together. No posing. They have been like that since babies..they curl up together all the time. I think maybe they're gay! (not blood brothers so technically ok!) LOl.

Seriously, they are really just the sweetest boys ever. They have the sweetest dispositions and adore each other. i don't know what they would ever do without each other. We're a team!

This damn thing limited me to 3 files else I'd be attaching a library. Don't get me started!

thanks for the compliment. I gush on these boys for sure...they are the center of the universe!

Attached Files:

9. CD and BigMac

No kidding... I'm turning into a pile of mush looking at those beautiful kitty photos! I may develop diabetes from the sweetness!

Sooooo cute!!

10. bettyandhank

I know, I'm sickening. But Thanks.

And another thing i have noticed being here...is that we are ALL doting stage mothers. I have never seen so many gorgeous, well loved and taken care of kitties in my life. One prettier than the next. I feel less excessive here somehow.
    i look at some of these headshots and just can't believe how gorgeous they all are. I mean I have a soft spot for cats anyway,...but these are some exceptionally fabulous babies on here.

BTW, how do I get it to just link rather than place the photo in the text? (that is what I meant to do)

And for future reference, how do you place the photo in the text as it is here intentionally? (This happened by accident..I attached the same for all 3, hit the 'upload attachment' tab below, then submit. Yet 2 came up as links and the 3rd as the photo in the post itself. I saw Big Mac's photo, so figure you knew how. By the way, how did you get him in that cape? ...I need to get Hankie dressed up sometime!

11. CD and BigMac

Yes, aren't we loving kitty parents? No one understands us as well as the people on this website. I LOVE those pictures of your kitties and now crave more, more, more. Oh no, I'm addicted!

Off topic stuff: To get your photos embedded, you link from an image hosting website, such as Photobucket which is what I use (but there are many other sites that do the same thing.) Download photos to Photobucket and then it lists several ways to 'share'... choose the link that starts with .

Right now you are attaching your photos directly from your computer which works too. No problem for us to see them.

The red cape and full moon for BigMac (among other silly photo manipulations) were created using Photoshop CS3 on my computer, then uploaded to Photobucket.

12. bettyandhank

spot check update:

+3 - 65 great! had to wake him for this one again. he did NOT want to be awake today. But he's finally up and around now.

No, what I'm trying to figure out is attaching the actual PHOTO vs attaching the link to the photo which then has to be clicked on to view.
    I am only attaching using the upload attachment tab below from photos on my hard drive. But every single time I had done so previsouly, it ONLY attached as a link that first needed to be clicked on before the photo loaded.
    Today, that's what happened the first time, but on the second message, of the 3 I attached, 2 showed up as a link, the 3rd as the actual photo into the post itself. I was trying to discern how to do each of those for future reference. This happened today randomly. (even though I attached them all the same way)

Yes, we all love our babies. Just saying..that OVERALL this group seems to be even more gorgeous than the normal world of cats. (who are all gorgeous in their own way) These are some exceptionally well groomed and especially beautiful kitties. I see some of the photos and can't believe how pretty they are. We have some cover girl/boy material on here. Lantus after-glow???

13. Melanie and Smokey

Re: 3/31 Hank- AMPS- 76, +3- 65, +8- 64

Those are some great pics of your boys cat_pet_icon. I am jealous. The only time my girls are that close to each other is to get a good bite in. I agree about all these kitties around here - portrait perfect.

14. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Wonderful pictures, Betty! Here's another food that Stu just discovered and that Hank might like: "By Nature" 95% turkey and turkey liver. Stu also likes the EVO 95% chicken & turkey, as well as the 95% venison. Great numbers for Hank today. Keep up the good work.
    Ella & Stu

15. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

things are looking great in here. :smile:

16. bettyandhank

Hi Libby-

Hank's doing great.

We're not going to do it tomorrow on April Fool's...that's for sure. But whatcha thinkin? It's pretty dull around here. He's pretty even steven these last few days. I can try testing at other times if you have a suggestion. You'd mentioned +2 or +3. Harder to get those at night since it's so late, but did get one on the AM cycle.
    We'll do our PS here shortly and I'll come back and report.
    Seems a bunch of these kitties are getting close. You were encouraging me to stick it out a a bit longer just a day or 2 ago, and maybe to check with Jill.
    Any new thoughts?
    Anxious to hear what you think.

Thanks for visiting us!!!

Ps: Ella: Hank didn't like the Evo venison as much by this afternoon already. I never interested him in the Evo cat/kitten chic/turkey at all...threw out 2 big 13 oz cans of that trying. I'll check out this "By Nature' ...need to see who may carry it around here. Wellness is his staple. I'm just trying to broaden his horizons. So far, Cowboy cookout is the only new sure thing. Have you tried SOrganic? That's another new one we tried recently... the beef/liver was a hit.

off to test, BRB

17. bettyandhank

Re: 3/31 Hank- AMPS-76, +3-65,+8-64, PMPS 64 Ideas?

We shot this low once before only, and that was last the night he went to 49 and scared the bjeez out of me.
    He is at same number as 4 hours ago...obviously surfing. We are at a miniscule dose.. so no real hypo danger.
    But WHAT TO DO?

that night I waited and re-tested, but it's gonna run us late.

I thought we were in boring dull and predicable. Where did this come from...anxiety revisited.

Should i just go ahead and shoot as usual? retest first? can wait maybe 10 more min.

any ideas?

18. bettyandhank

Re: 3/31 Hank- AMPS-76, +3-65,+8-64, PMPS 64 Ideas? -

if it hasn't gone up much in 9 hours, I don't imagine 15 mintues will make mush difference. I expect the same number, or virtually so.
    is there any point in retesting... i can't see we'll really know if going up or not if only a point or 2. Maybe just feed dinner and shoot as normal?????????

19. Melanie and Smokey

Re: 3/31 Hank- AMPS-76, +3-65,+8-64, PMPS 64 anyone?

You might want to get Dose Question in your subject so they know you need PM dosing advice.

He's been running plenty good numbers so skipping could be an option. You've ran 14 cycles under 0.25 with nary a blue in it so your OTJ trial could here? If you shoot at 64, there's a good chance you'll catch that under 50 to say go. If you can watch for a drop shooting as normal with such a small dose should be OK too.

20. Libby and Lucy

Re: 3/31 Hank- AMPS-76, +3-65,+8-64, PMPS 64

hang on a minute, ok?

21. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Re: 3/31 Hank- AMPS-76, +3-65,+8-64, PMPS 64 Ideas? -

These kinds of preshots seem contagious tonight. I ended up stalling for one and a half hours. It's hard to figure out at these low doses. I think Hank is going to lead the way for Tess. I'm practicing counting drops tonight.

I've tried Byorganic, Tess seems to like it but I don't know the actual carb% for it. I got it at Petsmart.

22. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

I just had to say... I always thought the gum thing was that people chewed gum to combat the anxiety of being on an OTJ trial! :lol:

Good luck with this dose transition!!

23. Libby and Lucy

Betty?

Congratulations! I pow-wowed with Jill, and we think Hank is ready to take the training wheels off. :mrgreen: Let's try no insulin, ok?

Here's what you should do:

• Test at normal AM/PM meal times
      If green, go about your day
      If blue, feed and test again in 2-3 hours (if possible) to see if the number came down
      Occasional spot checks 2-3 hours after a meal are a good idea
      Remember, multiple small meals are easier on a newly functioning pancreas than larger meals.

After 14 days we party! And if you do start seeing blue numbers, don't panic and don't shoot, post for advice first. Good luck!

24. bettyandhank

Hey Mel-

Thanks. We waited for 20 min. w/ no replies so i had to make a judgement. i just got anxious again. Haven't felt that for a few days....seemed we were in boring safedom. I know that it is likely all would have been fine. I just was not expecting the same number at +12 as at +8 and +3. he threw me for a loop.
    I guess my mother's instinct is to still protect him and make sure he is safe. I know this dose can't hypo him, I know that intellectually.
    But the other night, the 49 was scary...it wasn't the 30's some of the others get..but scary enough for me. And it was a LATE LATE night as a result.
    Since then, I have shaved the dose yet again, at times wondering if he is even getting any as you know.
    I knew to test him again in 15-20 was really only to waste a strip. he's been so flat I wasn't going to get any info.

That is in fact what I did though- and he was just 1 point higher, that's it. I shoulda just shot initially and saved the strip for a bedtime retest.
    I did go ahead and shoot him, the 'regular' dose, though w/ the lingering bubble, it may have been on the skinny side of the trace/essence of insulin, or not...who really knows? i figured not to worry too much at that point if it was on the light side.
    Then he jumped when I poked, and I had to go back in to finish squeezing. We went through the motions of a shot anyway.

THEN he finally got to eat. Our timing was off tonight, he'd been sleeping and by the time he wanted to eat, we were too inside the PM test window to feed him, then with this delay he was really hungry. I tried new food out on him this morning, which he liked then, but lost interest in after that. So i think he'd not eaten much at all today. THAT is probably why his numbers were even lower. So I opened some Wellness, and he happily dug in.
    I shot, it's over. We'd been running a slight bit late for a few days, and now I have added another 20 min to that, but that's ok.

Crazy how even still and with such a teensy weensy amount, it can still make you panicky.
    My rule had been anything to 65 was safe to shoot, and that was at the time I was at .1 dose...now we're on less.

Did not plan to be up much past midnite, which is not even a +1 1/2. This little baby amount doesn't even begin to register that soon. I don't see how testing then would tell me anything.
    You think we can safely go to bed now that he has eaten?

Thanks for checking on us.

25. bettyandhank

Libby-

i am just now reading your message (haven't even finished yet). I'd already shot, Had come back to post an update, read Mel's message which was all that was here at that time, and then wrote/sent mine not realizing it hadn't posted. I was updating his spreadsheet and now just coming back to discover new messages in the interim. I'd waited nearly 20 minutes the first time and no views or replies so had to make a decision.

let me read what you wrote better now, & these other couple messages, and I'll come back with a reply

26. bettyandhank

Well, the timing thing. Ya know how when you go to press 'submit'..and if new messages have posted in your condo in the interim, it suspends your post rather than submitting? Well apparently while i was writing my update, having already shot, you were writing as well.
    i then went to update my SS not aware mine had not gone through until i returned.

So We crossed.

So here's the deal. he probably barely got any tonight. I'm not positive, although we've been shooting, he has been getting it consistently since we switched to the drop. I really did shave from the .01, so we have only been at the current dose 5 days.

I wanted to check your pulse to see what you thought. I'm pretty sure his numbers were a tad lower today because he hadn't eaten very much. I thought he liked this new food, but he never finished his leftovers from breakfast. He wanted something else, then had to wait due to test time coming up. He was hungry and ate well after much postponed dinner. I've wondered if he wasn't feeling great as he's been sleeping alot and drinking extra.

But Libby, you saw my earlier post...I CANNOT start this on April Fool's Day- that is jinx waiting to happen!!!

i really do feel we are nearly ready...was thinking maybe this weekend??? Would give him 7 days on this dose? Kept thinking I'd catch a below 50 ...but have not gotten a 'hit me over the head' number. Instead he's mostly just been steady and flat.

What is your thinking? What tells you it's okay now?
    And what did Jill say? (has she been watching us?)
    He hasn't given the flashing sign- no 30's or crazy numbers like that...

I'm so sorry we didn't connect..but you know how this goes..it's all in the moment.

I think we're ok for tonight.

He can shoot for an Easter weekend w/drawl - we'll be right at a month then.

Can I get your blessing on the above?

thanks for watching us.

betty :)

27. CD and BigMac

My goodness! What low numbers you have here! Soooo when are you planning to quit this shooting stuff? :lol:
    Hank looks like he is ready. You can pretend to shoot him. Cut off the needle from the syringe and pretend you are giving a shot. Hahaha! I bet he will continue to show you all green all the time.

Good work Hank! We are proud of you... you both have come a really long way in a short time. I love happy endings.
    Easter weekend sounds good to me too (unless you get a "hit me over the head number") :D

28. MJ+Donovan

MJ+Donovan Well-Known Member

"insulin fumes" :razz:

29. Libby and Lucy

Jill and I both think he's ready, but there's no harm in waiting a few more days until you're ready. If it goes past the weekend, though, I'll be sending somebody to steal your syringes. ;-)

*Usually* they don't drop below 50 on this tiny dose, unless they are a cat who runs that low naturally. Some do.

30. bettyandhank

crap CD..i missed you. I would NEVER do this without you. YOU are our touchstone.

he is not doing the crazy things you hear about (like Big Mac did- 30! ) with the big dramatic moments...No in your face 28's (did you see Stu!)

It's just steady low numbers and a panicky Mom who gets scared to shoot essence into a low 60's number cat. He probably would have been fine.
    Shooting 65 felt fine..don't know why I made the too-doo. I'd worried lately if i was even getting any into him... tonight i didn't worry about that so much. if it was light, oh well.

So what do you think the deal was with his flatness today. from 76 to 64 ALL DAY. same number 64/65 for 9 1/2 hrs???

It's very possible this teeny 'fume' as MJ calls it, isn't even doing anything, and it's all been just him. i may be on a 3 week trial and not know it.

I WILL NOT pull the plug without getting your final blessing..even though i already know what you will say. You have to hold my hand/his paw when we finally take the leap.
    Not sure if it will be Fri., sat, sun.... I'll see what the circumstances are and his numbers.

You my friend, will be the first to know. you've been by our side making us feel safe so many times when we didn't..and you have my gratitude.

OH, PS: when i ran back downstairs between PM test 1 and 20 min later for PM test 2- Hank had jumped back onto the testing counter waiting for me. TOO adorable.
    We always test, then he gets his treat, then dinner. But after test 1, he got his treat and NOT dinner. I then ran up here to check for messages. And there he was, positioned for his next duty. I had to stop and love on him right there.

He is just the most precious boy ever. Did I mention all you have to do is look at him and he purrs?

66, no problem 65, ok, 64 ..gets scary...crazy!@!!

manana,

betty & hank

31. CD and BigMac

Aww you are very sweet.

Really you can start that OTJ trial anytime you want... except you don't like April 1st... understood that. hahaha!
    How about April 2nd? I think everyone here agrees Hank is ready right now, so it is your choice.

Those flat green numbers are PURRfect numbers. Exactly what a healthy kitty should have. :D

32. bettyandhank

64 got me 49 the other night.

We started on march 3rd. So maybe we go through friday, then stop. It'd be one month. I'll figure it out in the next day or so. may surprise & do it sooner.

Kinda freaky, huh? did you feel retiscent when you stopped? .

When do we worry on the BG's while on trial? what was your number over_______x (120-130?) that you worried?
    I just don't know how much of this is the insulin. i hope you are right and he stays in the greens. But I just like having the information.
    no blues wanted.

Wonder if I should let this vet know? She hardly has had anything to do with it. Wasn't the diagnosing or prescribing Dr., met him only once. Hmmm.

i think we could get a +1:45 in before bed ..but he's had food w/in 2 hrs. Doubt I'll see that 50.

g'nite,
    b&H

33. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Congratulations, you were right about Hank and Tess starting out OTJ together. Libby just gave me the same verdict from her chat w/ Jill. Wow! flip_cat flip_cat

Agree with you about not sure about starting on April Fools Day, although Libby said Tess had actually started tonight! nailbite_smile

34. CD and BigMac

Oh, I couldn't wait to start on the OTJ trial. For us it was exactly one week before Christmas and I was thrilled to have some freedom from schedules and could actually leave the house without worrying.

As for what numbers are too high during trial... well, one number doesn't really count too heavily, but you want to see if the kitty can bring himself down. So it is hard to state definitively "this is the number" to worry about. I like to see kitties stay below 100 most of the time with a few low blues. If there is a tendency toward 140's and above... it may be time to abort the trial. But if it is just once, it may not be significant. It takes a series of higher numbers to cause you to go back on the insulin.

But let's not look for trouble. Just continue to post BG numbers and we go from there. :D

Regarding the vet: I say tell him after the fact. I kept good records and my SS printouts... then after BigMac was OTJ officially, I sent the info to her. What could she say at that point? [​IMG]

And Congratulations to Tess and Ann too! Awesome.

35. bettyandhank

UPDATE-

+2:10- 53

Fed a small amount of HC gravy drizzled on LC food. He ate only a couple bites. It's low enough number & early in the cycle so makes me a little cautious + we're heading to bed shortly. Hope that's enough.

OK Ann- I posted on yours. So much excitement!

First Smokey, then you, then us...and then boomer????

36. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Michelle & Scrabble (GA) Well-Known Member

How exciting for you guys! Congrats, what a scary, amazing time!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.