11/4 Lucy PMPS=184;+2=124 // Grendel is home with his bean.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by mariko, Nov 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mariko

mariko Well-Known Member

Good morning!

Yesterday's condo

11/3 AMPS=191; +2=209; +7=169
    11/3 PMPS=191; +2=131; +6.5=119

11/4 AMPS=131; +2=202; +10.5=184
    11/4 PMPS=184; +2=124; +4=115

Lucy is feeling good.
    She didn't poop yesterday, but left a extra large solid poo in the LB this morning.
    She ate pretty well by finger-feeding.

After yesterday's lab results, I have been looking for some supplements I can add to help with her inflammation.
    I found a website that recommend adding omega-3, another website that recommend probiotic and digestive enzyme.
    I'm not sure about the digestive enzyme, but I think I'm going to start adding probiotic regularly again.
    And I'll think about omega-3 too, but maybe they are talking about inflammation in the joints....
    I may also consider laser therapy....
    If anyone has any experience with these, I would appreciate your insights!

Ginger is taking the hairball remedy paste Ella suggested (needs fortiflora sprinkle) and slippery elm bark powder well. :smile:
    Paws crossed they help.

I hope everyone's having a nice day today!

2. Pam & Hoot

Pam & Hoot Well-Known Member

Re: 11/4 Lucy AMPS=131

Good report on both kitties today :D
    Glad to hear it :D
    Have a great day Mariko!

3. mariko

mariko Well-Known Member

Re: 11/4 Lucy AMPS=131;+2=202

Well Lucy's number is still struggling to get back on track, but Lucy seems to be feeling fine. :smile:

4. Jess and MrCat

Jess and MrCat Member

Hi, Mariko. I don't have any experience with your inflammation question but just wanted to stop by and wish Lucy well. Hope you find the right supplements! :D

5. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Awesome kittye report here! Yes, first and foremost, as long as Lucy is feeling good, the numbers are just numbers. I don't have any experience with lasers or the supplements, but I am sure at least a few people here can share answers....just one of the bazillion reasons why LL is the best place ever.

Have a great day, Mariko!

6. Amy & Papaya (GA)

Amy & Papaya (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad Lucy is doing okay after all the stress of the vet visit last week! Have a nice day, Mariko!

7. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad Lucy is feeling good and Ginger is taking her hairball remedy and slippery elm. Hopefully Lucy's numbers will get back on track soon.

8. Cleo & Jane (GA)

Cleo & Jane (GA) Well-Known Member

So much to consider with our babies. Hope you find what is best for Lucy :D

Glad she is feeling better, Mariko :D

9. mariko

mariko Well-Known Member

Re: 11/4 Lucy AMPS=131;+2=202;+10.5=184 // shooting late ton

I have to drive my friend and his cat to the vet this evening.
    His appointment is at 6:30, Lucy's shot time.
    I will have to shoot her late tonight.

My friend's cat, Grendle, hasn't been eating or drinking much since yesterday.
    Vines for him, please.

10. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Mariko,
    We are very glad to hear that Lucy and Ginger are both doing better today. Rusty loves the taste of his "hairball treat," so maybe Ginger will, too, once she gets used to it.

Sending healing vines to Grendle. I hope the vet was able to help your friend's kitty.

Hugs, scritches,

Ella & Rusty

11. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I'm glad to hear Lucy and Ginger are doing better today. Neko gets omega-3 in her fish oil, but I've seen fish oil recommended more for arthritis.

Sending more healing vines for Grendle. It's good of you to drive your friend to the vet - I'm sure Lucy will get back on track quickly enough.

12. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Prayers coming for Grendle. Please let us know how he's doing. I swear, I worry about EVERYONE'S cat...I hate when they don't feel well!!

13. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

mr punkin had laser therapy for his arthritis. i thought it helped him move more freely - he had completely stopped jumping up on tables and after just two laser treatments he was back to jumping and he was running up our stairs easily instead of walking one step at a time.

the protocol for the laser therapy calls for doing the treatments with progressively longer intervals. so you start at every couple of days, then keep extending the time til the next treatment until you're at once a month. we found that he didn't hold the benefit past about a week, so we went in weekly for several months.

the down side - i think weekly was too often and ultimately i think it played a part in his death. he developed terrible bloody diarrhea the morning after his treatment. it took several days, but it did clear up and he started feeling better again. the following week he had his regular treatment and the next morning it happened again. he didn't recover from that second episode.

i realized that the angle of the laser on his lower spine and on his hips all would have resulted in a lot of the laser being in the same area of his intestines and perhaps it was too much. it is used as a healing aid, and when i initially asked the vet after the first episode if it could have caused the diarrhea she said no. but when it happened exactly the same way a week later, again the morning after the treatment, she agreed that was likely not a coincidence.

that said, punkin had acromegaly. he had a lot of stuff going on. we didn't do any kind of autopsy so i can't say for certain that it had anything to do with anything. and it absolutely DID help his agility - and it was better than anything else we tried - cosequin, adequan, and accupuncture.

So . . . . i think, having it to do over again, i would probably still do the laser therapy but i would not do it weekly for months on end and would be aware of the possibility of the angles overlapping the treatment inside of him.

sending the best healing thoughts to little Grendle!

amy, it's cuz you have such a big heart!

14. mariko

mariko Well-Known Member

Re: 11/4 Lucy PMPS=184 // Grendel is home with his bean.

Thank you very much, Julie, for the information.
    Hmmmm, maybe it's not such a good idea to give laser therapy aiming internal organs.
    I was thinking it for Lucy's pancreas and intestine.
    I spoke with the vet about it too, and she doesn't think it would really be helpful in Lucy's case although it would help joint and/or skin inflammation.

Grendel is home with his bean.
    The appointment took much longer that I expected, so I had to shoot Lucy 1 hr and 45 min late, which is a lot.
    I am very tired, and the cats were very hungry, but Lucy kept her BG blue - good girl, but I know this will throw her off again.
    Anyway, Grendel got his blood and urine collected.
    His pee was RED, very bloody - sort of like red martini color.
    He was extremely dehydrated, so he got sub-q fluids for tonight.
    They didn't do IV fluids because they were closing and there will be nobody at the clinic until tomorrow morning. (different vet than mine)
    They did his X-ray and found bladder stones and kidney stones.
    He got a Zentac injection and a bupe injection, plus some additional bupe to take home with for tonight.
    We are to bring him back tomorrow morning for IV fluids until evening.
    Today's appointment cost my fried about $650, and tomorrow's IV fluids at the vet will cost him another $300, so he is very upset.
    If Grendel needs a surgery to remove the bladder stones, which he will, and if it is super expensive, he may consider euthanizing Grendel, so I am very worried and extremely stressed about that.
    We will get the blood & urinalysis results tomorrow.

15. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

:sad: i hope Grendel is ok. what a difficult situation.

we did laser for punkin's arthritis. i know vets use it post-surgery to assist in healing. i think our problem was in the total volume of laser done. i wouldn't hesitate to use it a few times.

16. mariko

mariko Well-Known Member

And Grendel's weight is only 7.5 lbs. He is a 15 years old cat, kind of same size as Lucy.
    I saw him 2 days ago, and he was thin, and I told my friend he looked thin and needed more foods, but I didn't realize it was this bad.
    I am super stressed about how bad he looked today. According to my friend, Grendel's conditions went downhill since yesterday.

17. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I'm so sorry to hear about Grendel and send prayers for him and your friend.

My vet has been using a Grady laser once a month (for almost a year) on Gus's kidneys and spine (arthritis). She does it once a month. Zits really helped him tremendously.

18. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Sending vines for Grendel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.