11/26 Tigger Surgery sched. Wed & Insulin Question

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tigger's Friend, Nov 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tigger's Friend

Tigger's Friend Well-Known Member

Good Evening, LL!

Tigger's last condo

I wanted to give everyone an update on Tigger's eye & ask for healing vines for his upcoming surgery tomorrow.

Sorry this is the earliest I could post today, we were at the regular vet yesterday, & the opthalmologist today. Tigger's empty eye continued to swell. Reg. vet dx'd retrobulbar abscess, poss. related to residual bacteria in the eye socket from his earlier URI. Reg. vet prescribed Clindaymcin 3ml 1x day.

Opthamologist was able to syringe out 5 ml of bloody fluid before Tigger was done with that (GOOD BOY! cat_pet_icon ) & said it's prob. just abscess & not neoplasm ( :D ), but said there was still about 5ml of pus still there ohmygod_smile . Opth. feels this is dental related - & Tigger had an upper PM4 tooth removed in May that may be responsible. Opth. recommended a dental x-ray, & surgery to drain the abscess from the roof of Tigger's mouth. Felt this should be asap (Wed), to avoid systemic infection. I agreed to a Covenia injection ( :cry: I know) to hopefully avoid systemic infection in the event surgery couldn't be scheduled before Thanksgiving, .

Unfortunately, our vet doesn't have their x-ray machine yet. I got 2 other referrals, but no one called me back, so I called my reg. vet - Opth had called, too - & they're going to drain the abscess, both from inside the mouth & also from outside, below his eye. She's also going to remove his prosthetic eye (is silicone) just in case it's contributing to some weird immune response. Opth thought, no, but I think it's cosmetic & not necessary so why not get it out. Reg vet's also going to do standard x-rays for free ( :D )just to see if anything shows up. Vet's done this before & Opth. also thought she could handle it. Reg. vet called another dnetal vet who said dental x-rays are not as clear for uppers as for lowers due to the zygomatic arch being in the way, so a dental x-ray might not show a root remnant anyway. Can you believe - Reg. vet is going to do all this for $300!!! :eek: :D

I wish we could have done it all in 1 procedure, but I also realize it would cost alot more -that'd be hard right now. Hopefully (plez!) the abscess is not dental-related & won't return. If it does, maybe my vet will have their machine by then & can do the x-rays.

Tigger's BG is holding at 300 - 400 since Sat. night, & I need to get it back down. So far blood & urine test negative for ketones. I fattened his dose this AM from 1.75u (262mm) to s2.0u (281mm) - so far no change in BG.

I gave him .075ml Bupe @ 3:15 Pm & will prob. dose again at 10:30PM. He also got 100 ml fluids. Appetite has been awesome, thankfully, & no diarrhea. He's grooming himself right now, and is feeling better - it must be a big relief to get some pus out. Tech said he could feel Tigger relax in his arms as it was being drawn out.

Tigger goes in at 11AM tomorrow, surgery prob. 11:30. I can feed Tigger at 3AM & 1T fud at 4-5AM. :?: Do you think I should give his clindamycin with that 4-5AM meal or wait till after the surgery (forgot to ask vet)? Normally I give it at 7AM with his PS fuds.

Tigger'll get 1 unit L at normal time (7:30 AM), but no fuds. will give him R if he needs & monitor BG. :?: I may need some help with PM insulin dosing advice if anyone's available.

:?: One other Question - I started a new Lantus pen & 2 out of 4-5 doses, I'm drawing ALOT of air into the syringe (like over half the dose). Dose that mean there's a problem with the pen? I went back to the old pen for 1 dose, to see if that changed Tigger's BG - it didn't but the syringe filled normally.

We have company in today & I'm cooking the TG dinner. ohmygod_smile I'm seen as 'the crazy cat lady', & I'll definitely be living up to my title tomorrow! :lol: :lol: I'm sure I'll be running back & forth like crazy, worried about Tigger. I just hope I can take proper care of Tigger - that he'll be ok after this 2nd surgery & still fulfill my obligations to company.

Thanks everyone for the kind thoughts & support - I hope my life will slow down more next week so I can get back to my friends at LL!

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hi Suzanne - thanks for the update. I was wondering today how Tigger was doing. First of all - tons of healing vines and good procedure vines headed your way. :YMHUG: :YMHUG: Great price on the procedure!

For PM dosing tomorrow, first test him when he gets home and then before PS. That'll give you an idea of what the anesthesia is doing to his BG. Post for advice, there's a few of us who've had cats undergo anesthetic. I've done both half dose (after dental) and full dose (4 days of SRT). Your vet will probably have a recommendation but the numbers will guide you.

Regarding the Lantus pen, I've had some cartridges (the refill inside the pen) that had quite a bit of air in them. If that's what you have, try tapping the pen to move the bubble to the top while you withdraw from the bottom.

3. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

i hope all goes well for tigger tomorrow - i can only imagine trying to get ready for company along with my kitter having surgery, much less diabetic kitty! we'll be looking for an update!

the only part of this i can comment on is the pen. i found that new pens sometimes are weird to draw - they have a suction to them that can make it hard to draw out the dose. once you get some of the insulin used out of the pen it stops doing that. it's annoying until that point and you do want to make sure it doesn't suck the insulin back out of your syringe into the pen, because the suction can be strong enough to do that. did i say how annoying that is!? :lol: a little personal experience with that one!

do you have a bubble of air in the pen? if so, you can get one of the needles that come with the pen (ask at the pharmacy), put it on the pen, turn that dial at the end as though you are giving a dose, put the pen vertical so the air bubble is at the top and push the end by the dial as though you were giving a dose using the pen's needle. that'll push the air bubble out. sometimes you have to do that more than once to get the air out.

just having an air bubble in it doesn't mean the insulin is bad. as long as you don't see floaties or threads or anything else within the insulin, it's probably fine.

we'll be watching for your update tomorrow. i hope it goes well and Tigger's eye gets some relief.

4. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

On the clindamycin, I would think it would be better to give it with foods as long as you know it will not make him sick. He might not feel like eating when you get him home. But if there is any chance it might make him sick, I wouldn't give it because you don't want him throwing up under anesthesia.

Sending many prayers and healing vines. Poor Tigger!!

And for you... :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: you've had quite the last few months between Spankeys escapades with the foxglove thingy, Tiggers URI, and now this.

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

No dose advice from me, but sending lots of healing vines for Tigger's surgery tomorrow!!

I'd think it'd be best to give the antibiotic when you can at 4:30 so he's got as much AB in him as possible to help protect him during and after the surgery. He may not feel much like eating afterwards too, and if the only way you can get it down him is through food, it might be hard to get another dose in him tomorrow

Will be watching for an update tomorrow! I know he'll do great! He's a Tigger!

6. mariko

mariko Well-Known Member

(((Suzanne)))
    Sending tons and tons of healing vines to Tigger.
    And calming vines to you.
    I'm glad Tigger is feeling better after getting some pus out.
    I'll be holding in my heart an image of Tigger feeling even better after the surgery tomorrow.

I started a new cartridge a few days ago, and I draw a lot of air too for some reason, but the insulin is fine.
    I just have to keep the needle still for a while longer until the air sloooowly fills with insulin.
    This happened before when I started a new cartridge, so maybe not so unusual with new one?

7. Thoughts and prayers for you and Tigger tomorrow, Suzanne.

And glad they are taking the precaution of removing the prosthetic eye. My blind kitty Winkie did just fine without one.
    Hugs,
    Carl

8. Tigger's Friend

Thanks Wendy, Julie, Marje, Chris, & Mariko, It's great to hear from you, I miss everyone! We really appreciate all the healing vines & support - I know it works miracles! We need them - I don't know how much more of this Tigger's system will take.

Wendy, I'll definitely test at those times, more if he's low or wonky, & post here for health update & advice if need be. Re. the pen, I'll check for bubble(s) & TAP! Thanks!

Julie, yes, I'm a bit of a nut case right now, & pretty exhausted. I hope to prep some tomorrow AM & while Tigger's in surgery - it'll keep me busy. Luckily I'm a vegetarian, so no turkey for me to prep :D - just stuffing! DH'll do the meat thing on the grill. :lol:
    Ah, the syringe suction! Yep, I know what you mean! I'll get a pen from the pharmacy & try your suggestion - great idea, thanks!

Marje, thank you for the support & clindamycin advice - that makes sense & I agree. I may feed a little earlier - 3AM - & feed a little more than 1T. It'll be 4 hours early for the AB, but that's not horrible. I agree - Tigger needs a break - it's time. He's strong, but his immune system's tired.

Chris, I hope your Mom is well, & China, too. I haven't had a chance to check on you - you've been through the wringer alot lately. Thanks for the support & AB advice - I think that's the best option, too.

Mariko, I hope Lucy's doing better for you, too, eating & pooping & purring. Thanks for your visualization, that's very helpful. I'll also try being more patient with the syringe! I'm glad it's probably ok.

Time for Bupe!

9. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Suzanne,
    We are thinking really good thoughts for Tigger's surgery. I hope and pray that it will go smoothly and be a total success. Sending calming vines for you and heal fast and well vines for Tigger.

Hugs, scritches,

Ella & Rusty

10. Amy & Papaya (GA)

Amy & Papaya (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Suzanne! I'm glad to read an update on Tigger & his eye. I'm glad the vet helped him feel a little bit better already and hope the surgery does the trick. You have a busy few days coming up, wow, but think of how relaxed you'll get to feel afterwards :D Take care!!

11. Jamie & Jupiter

Jamie & Jupiter Well-Known Member

Sending lots of prayers and vines for Tigger. Clindamycin was the AB we used for Jupiter (other AB's made him sick and he wouldnt eat anything). On the Clindamycin he had a poor appy but still ate some.... and it seemed like probiotics really helped. May want to discuss probiotics with vet?

Keeping you in Tigger in my thoughts and prayers

12. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Prayers for Tigger's surgery and for you....
    Sending a truckload of good vetty vines that this will be successful.

and i'm learning there isn't anything one can do about other's perceptions... once they think we're in that crazy cat category.... it's for good. :lol:

13. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Sending good vet visit vines to Tigger today, and hopes and wishes for all procedures to go smoothly and be successful.

14. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Any update on how Tigger is doing?

15. Tara & Buster

Tara & Buster Well-Known Member

Oops looks like I'm a little late. I hope the surgery went well and Tigger is recovering safely.

16. Cleo & Jane (GA)

Cleo & Jane (GA) Well-Known Member

Hoping all went well, and you and Tigger are home recovering~

Healing vines for Tigger :smile:

17. Tigger's Friend

It's Wednesday Evening, & I've already posted about tigger's surgery on today's post, but I wanted to thank (((Carl, Ella, Amy, Jamie, Rhiannon, Dyana, Sienne, Tara, & Jane))) for your experiences & input.

Carl, thanks also for reminding me about Winky - I remember his story from your posts now. I was looking forward to having that 'naked' eye, but the vet decided after the 2 drain holes were in that another incision would make the infection / healing even more difficult. I was disappointed, but now that I've seen the eye I understand. I'll try & post some photos in my 11/27 post.

Ella, Amy, Rhiannon, Dyana, Sienne, Tara, & Jane, thanks again for the healing vines & positive thoughts. I've definitely earned the CCL title today :lol: (truth be told, compared to narmal, I've been very subtle about the caretaking, too!)

Jamie, thanks for the recommendation for clindamycin & probiotics. Clindamycin's worked well for Tigger in the past, so the paws are crossed. I got Dr. Mercola's probiotics (alot of members seem to use & recommend them & the enzymes) but haven't started using them yet ohmygod_smile I do want to start as soon as Tigger's a little more balanced. He needs an immune boost.

Hope everyone has a great evening & thanks again for bringing the healing power of FDMB directly into our lives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.