3/24 Scooter BG 77 - Advice Please, carb addict.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Linda and Scooter & Jack, Mar 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linda and Scooter & Jack

Linda and Scooter & Jack Well-Known Member

Hi Folks:

I sure miss you all but I am very grateful Scooter is OTJ. :D

I have a new thing going on that is driving me crazy. Scooter has become very hard to be around. He is tearing up anything including garbage in the kitchen, he bites at human food on the way to our mouths and is biting his furry siblings. He tore up a loaf of bread on the counter and he is very desperate for carbs. He seems to have left his manners here and I yelled at him today which I have never done. He gets meals 4 times a day now and eats anything we put in front of him. As a reminder he has been off kibble for just 6 weeks now I think. I can't seem to open my SS to look at the date for sure. Does anyone else have issues like this and more important have answers? cat(2)_steam

Thanks in advance.

Linda

2. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Has he had bloodwork done recently? I would check his thyroid....insatiable appy and aggression are two classic symptoms of an overactive thyroid.

3. Linda and Scooter & Jack

Yes his blood work was perfect 3 weeks ago. I will call and ask though.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hi Linda - how is Scooter feeling and acting - other than the carb frenzies? Neko is a food/carb addict. The first signs we had that something was wrong with her was when she broke through plastic and aluminum foil to get at banana bread on the kitchen counter. Then there was the blueberry muffins episode and the baguette. :roll: Neko has acromegaly, which means a benign tumor on the pituitary sending out excess growth hormones. That's what causes her diabetes as well as the appetite like a teenager. I'm not saying Scooter has acromegaly, but that there are a number of causes, including the HyperT that Amy suggested, that can cause excess hunger. A call to the vet is a good idea, especially if this is something that has started recently.

Some cats just like carbs. I've heard of others with fondness for muffins, pancakes, etc.

5. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Linda

Take a look at his bloodwork and see if they did a thyroid test. It's not standard so you would have had to ask for it or the vet would have had to add it. However, a lot of vets will only have a total T4 done which is not something I'd make a dx of hyperT based on. It's best to have a free T3 and total T3 as well as a free T4 by ED and total T4.

Good luck. Please keep us posted.

6. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Hi Linda:

Good to hear from you, but sorry it's because Scooter has issues. I was going to say what Marje did about the thyroid test. I know it isn't a part of the standard bloodwork package. My vet always adds it in for geriatric cats and it's the first thing she checks if one is eating well but losing weight or super active. I would definitely check with your vet.

Sending calming vines for Scooter. I hope you get to the bottom of this and that it's something easily fixed, and that we hear back from you with good news! :D

7. Linda and Scooter & Jack

Thanks Ladies!

I set an appointment for him next Monday! Wendy I hope it isn't acro either but I have learned to go with the flow with Scooter. This morning I was in the shower and came down to him eating bagels that were in the bread thingy on the counter. It is stainless steel and he got it open! So now the bread is all back in the fridge. Of course his bg is going up. I think I will just feed him more FF until we get an answer. Maybe 6 times a day and see if that helps.

I wish I had told you all about it sooner. I just thought he was feeling better and being bad. :lol:

Linda

8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Make sure you're logged in to your SS. You should see your name above the blue, "Share" box -- it's on the upper right on my SS.

My first thought was also hyperthyroid. I'm glad you have a vet appt scheduled.

9. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

i know this is yesterday's condo, but i had to say hi. scooter's turned into a scarfing kitty, eh? my 2 "kittens" that turn 1 this month, eat like crazed maniacs. they drive me nuts - i can't keep them off the counters and frodo even took a spatula out of the sink and i found it on the floor! you'd think i didn't feed them at all! i sympathize with you!

but we love you anyway, scooter! cat_pet_icon i'd also get his thyroid checked.

10. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

Sending tons of healing vines, and positive thoughts for Scooter to improve very soon. Enough, Scooter!

11. eednic

eednic New Member

I'm glad someone pointed me to this thread. Cole has demonstrated some of these same behaviors recently (trying to open a box of cookies on the kitchen counter; trying to steal food off of our plates as we eat; and I've seen paw prints in the sink in the morning which I know means he's trying to find any morsel of food he can off a dirty plate or off the side of the sink). He also bites me, trips me, follows me everywhere, tries to open doors when I am in the room with the door closed, etc. I am going to ask my vet about testing his thyroid very soon.

12. Jamie & Jupiter

Jamie & Jupiter Well-Known Member

If you are worried about him getting into foods that he shouldnt be eating... you may just want to let him eat as much of the FF as he wants. It might prevent him from trying to get into other things if hes hungry (better FF then bread or something). Just until you take him to the vet on monday.

I know you said you feed him meals 4x a day. Just curious how much from a can he eats each time? Like the portion he is getting each meal?

13. Linda and Scooter & Jack

Update:

Well I uped his food to 5 times a day and there is a big difference. Although he and all the others think 8 hrs of sleep is not needed if you are a bean.
    For the person who was getting followed and cut off by her kitty I suggest you feed him more often and see if that helps.

Scooter is very affected by food. After the bagel incident within 2 hrs his bg was 331. He has been fine since that day in the 70's and 80's so I am not highly concerned. Sorry about not being signed in Sienne. My windows crashed and I had to re-install 8. 8.1 crashed my system.

Anyway thank you ladies. I will update in Monday.

Linda

14. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: ....sooo true! I can't remember the last time I got anything near 8 hours of sleep :lol: ! Ah, but they are worth it.

Good luck with the test on Monday!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.