05/27 bailey uk.acromegaly negative :-)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by anna and bailey.uk england, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anna and bailey.uk england

anna and bailey.uk england Member

[urlhttp://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=119207][/url]

as expected my boys results for acromagely have come back negative.been back to the vet today for a consultation on my own....as usual :roll: hes said that he did that many tests last time to rule out the nastys that now we can get to the nitty gritty (as they say over here) hes going to take bailey in under sedation in the next 2 weeks to check his enlarged spleen whether it was a one off from an infection treated or whether its something else.

baileys is GREAT compared to what he was a few weeks back but then theres days when hes really lethargic,he lays down to eat,i have to sometimes handfeed and give him his waterbowl whilst he lays down but these don't happen as much as they used to.but each week,maybe every couple of days we have a few hours of this.but like my vet has said this isn't normal behaviour for an 9 year old cat,nor is the 9 units of insulin twice a day, a normality. im just glad we now have the good days in between where he plays,snuggles,and causes his usual mischeave.:)

the vet has said hes researched quite abit and has spoken about bailey to the universities an wants to check his muscles,joints,tendons etc his neuropathy came on all of a sudden which apparently doesn't happen.is this right??? he also is going to check for felv and Fiv along with IAA. he is DETERMINED to get to the bottom of this and says he needs to pinpoint whats wrong.hes kindve reassured me by saying hes a erm ....'fiesty' boy and while hes like this I need not be too worried (but then he only sees him when baileys swearing and hissing at him) plus if it was something really bad he wouldn't have just not been himself like this for 6 months without something fatal happening!still.....................its so worrying!! BUT saying that me AND bailey are in a much better place than we were about 3 weeks ago and in the hands of a very good vet and you guys and of course diane(and bailey) who listens on the phone over here in the uk many times a week! I feel blessed :thumbup

2. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

what a great report, anna! i'm so glad for you. [​IMG] Acromegaly wasn't fun for punkin and while we all deal with whatever we get, i'm happy for another cat not to have it.

We'll just wait and see what the other tests come up with. I've been wondering about the enlarged spleen and what that might mean. Your vet sounds like a treasure! i like him all the way from across the pond! :lol:

thanks for posting and letting us know!

3. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

It does sound like you are Blessed with this vet (and us :)_
    Yeah, on the negative acro test! Hopefully, you'll get to the bottom of this soon, or find that he's being a cat and who knows ;-)
    Give energy to the positive.

4. anna and bailey.uk england

my vet is fanatastic but he doesn't like not knowing! which is good for bailey cos he's determined to find the problem.i definitely think its something related to the fd but like hes said "was it there before the fd that brought the diabetes on or was it the fd that has caused it. somethings not right! " the bad days are REAL bad days hence me keep plodding on with this!! the days were having right now though far out weigh all the bad.bg hasn't been great but playtime has over ridden that cat_pet_icon

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Anna --

Can you keep notes on whether Bailey is having good vs. bad (or anything in between) on your SS? I'm wondering if how he's feeling is related to his BG levels and/or how they change.

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Great news on the acromegaly results. :D :D :D As Julie says, those of us that deal with it plow through because we love our kitters but I'd rather you don't have to. Your vet is definitely a keeper. I think we all are curious about what is happening inside Mr. Bailey.

I'm glad you raised the dose back up to 9.0U. He's looking better already on it. Now that you've still got the time off it would be a perfect opportunity to learn how to deal with low numbers. After all, that's how you get to dose reductions.

7. Suzanne & Cobb(GA)

Suzanne & Cobb(GA) Well-Known Member

Yay! Yay! Yay! I am so glad to hear of Bailey's great test results!!! Awesome news.

And I'm so glad your vet is willing to get to the bottom of whatever is ailing sweet Bailey. Sounds like you found a good one!

~Suzanne

8. anna and bailey.uk england

thanks guys nd yep sienna I will put on his bad days on the spreadsheet from now on then we can all see!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.