11/16 Webster AMPS 382,+3 383,+6 314

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Websterthecat, Nov 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

First, I wanted to thank everyone for their help yesterday. It was a rough day and long night. A special thanks Julie for staying up late last night to help with a quick dropping BG.

As mentioned in my previous post, We had to travel 8 hours back home to NC and we finally made it back. Along the way I was able to get a couple reading at +3 and +6. He seemed to stay in the 300's. Not normal I suppose but not dangerously low as they were yesterday.

I tried to check again but his ears must be tender and he is recovering from being in the car all day. He put up a fight and growled at me so I gave in. My next stop is to pick up neo + pain relief.

I plan to try to check it again before his insulin in just over an hour.

Should I stick with the .75U for a few days and see what happens? Any thoughts? Thank you.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hi Cary - I was watching yesterday but didn't drop in. Quite the day! :shock: I'd stick with the .75U for a few days, unless Webster decides it's too much insulin and goes under 50. Right now he's bouncing second post here and it can take 6 cycles to get over it.

Good for you for testing on the road. I took Neko on a trip to Fort Collins, Colorado - 3 days of 9 hours travel. It can be a challenge getting that test done so kudos to you for doing that while still new to testing. And yes, that Neosporin is very helpful.

3. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Thanks for watching the thread. It was quite the day.Webster rides very well because I allow him to roam freely in the car. He jumps between my lap and my wives the entire ride, spending anywhere from a couple mins to couple hours in each of our laps. He's refuses to go into a carrier or remain in one without putting up a fight.

I just took his PMPS and am ready to give him his insulin. It was pretty high (446) but as mentioned, he could still be bouncing.

I'm a bit confused. When should I allow him to eat? Before or after taking his glucose prior to each shot? The 446 was taken about 30 mins or so after he inhaled half a can of Purina DM.

Thanks Wendy. Oh, and I live in Cary, NC. LOL! :D . I'm Mike BTW Sorry, I need to do some work on my signature later this evening.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Oops - sorry Mike! :oops: So funny you live in a boy's name town. :lol: Usually the town name is under the avatar, like you have, and the bean (caregivers) in the signature.

Most people here test then feed, then shoot insulin all within about 15 minutes. Some people give insulin while kitties head it in the food bowl. I can't do that because Neko hoovers her raw food, but if she's eating canned food it takes a little longer.

When we were traveling, Neko spent most of her time in the carrier (with the door open) and some time in the trunk (folded one back seat down) in her favorite basket. She used to be a terrible traveler but nothing like those 6 days on the road to turn her into a pro.

5. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm still very new here and trying to adapt to my new culture and family. Time to shoot.. I'll be back on later.

6. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Welcome back, Mike and Webster! I agree with Wendy...stick with the .75U for a few days and see what's what. Lantus likes consistency, and dose-hopping can give you some very wonky numbers. Plus, Webster has had a LOT of variables to contend with, so now that you're home, we can REALLY see what's going on.

Great job testing while traveling!

7. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Yes indeed. A lot of variables. Now that he is home I hope that we can settle down and get into a routine.

He still has some Clavamox left which I smelled this afternoon and it smelled like sweet oranges. As discussed last night, this is probably contributing to his BG going up as well as the food and high carb treats that I have been giving him to raise his BG levels. .75U sounds like a plan.

I'm about to go pick up a few different brands of low carb wet foods for him to try.

8. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Just stopping in to welcome you to LL. I too was reading your condo last night but didn't want to interrupt with the advice you were getting. Qyite an exciting intro to FD to say the least. Kind of like going before a firing squad. I'm very impressed with how calm you were. I hope you get lots of sleep tonight as Webster adjusts to lantus.

9. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Hi Mike

i just wanted to welcome you and Webster to LL. Great job last night. I bet you thought he was not going to come back down last night but he had a different idea. We used to have a member who used Temptations to control her kitty's low BGs as I do believe it is HC.

Good that you are going to look for some LC canned foods. The prescription diets are really poor quality and also poor ingredients. If you can find a good LC food that Webster likes, he will be better off. Knowing Julie (because I can't remember), she likely linked Dr. Lisa's Food Charts for you but now you have it again :D

I'm glad Webster is doing well. If you start to see trace ketones on the ketone strips, please let us know. more than trace, and you need to call the vet right away.

Bring on the questions...we love them. I did have to laugh about Wendy calling you Cary because I had asked Julie why she was calling you Mike when you had your name as Cary in the signature line. She said "i think that is the name of his town" :oops: :oops: :oops: I, like Wendy, thought you were "Cary" from NC :lol: :lol: :lol:

10. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Thank you! However... Calm wouldn't have been the best way to describe my reaction yesterday. :D It has been a rough week (recent diagnosis with DKA and 4 day hospital stay) and yesterdays event put me into stress overload. :eek: I'm still trying to calm myself down. This is such a had time for me and my wife. I appreciate everyone's support.

11. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Haha. Yes, I chuckled out loud when I read that. It was my fault however because I wasn't at all clear. I changed it around to avoid any confusion.

Thanks for the link. I may have seen it before but overlooked it with all of the chaos going on. I'll take a look over it shortly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.