2/28 Rusty AMPS 266, PMPS 290, +4 290. Home; some good news

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA), Feb 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

yesterday: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=89875

Hi Everyone,

We had a good trip home. No snowstorm, no heavy rain. Rusty was an excellent traveler. So much to do when we got home in the late afternoon that I never got to post until now.

Rusty's vet left a message on our machine with the results of his tests: no bacteria in the tissue culture; the cytology test revealed inflammatory cells, but no fungal things and NO CANCER! He may have allergic reactions, possibly asthma. But she doesn't want to start steroids (inhalers) because of his diabetes. She wants to try an antihistimene (Children's Benedryl), but I want to do some reading first. In any event, Rusty was much better today. I think he has anxiety "attacks", especially when we go to the city. He may be allergic to dust (I am not a good housekeeper!)

More later,
    Thanks for visiting us when we were in the city. Gotta go chillax and watch Person of Interest!

Ella & Rusty

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 2/28 Rusty AMPS 266, PMPS 290 Home; some good news

That's great news. I'm glad it's nothing serious.

3. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Ella, that's great news with the Vetty report. :D Glad you arrived safely and weather conditions weren't too bad. Hope all of you get some good rest tonight.

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Lol!! I've got the same show on in the background!

What great news!! My vet recommended Zyrtec for allergies if you're looking for a comparison.

5. Rocket & his Mom

Rocket & his Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Ella,
    if the treatment doesn't work, if it were me....i would not hesitate the steroids....you know your stuff with his diabetes...and you can always up/down his dose...my two cents!

sending hugs and i'm glad it's not cancer....cancer sucks!

6. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Barb & Checkers (GA) Well-Known Member

That's wonderful news, Ella :D

7. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Great news! :D :D :D I'm glad you had a good trip.
    Liz

8. Courtney and Kismet

Courtney and Kismet Well-Known Member

Hi Ella, that's wonderful news! Melissa's Tarragon and my Kismet both have asthma and both our kitties use inhalers. Melissa has more experience with asthma than I do, I think Tarragon has been receiving flovent (inhaler) for 8+ years. Just so you know, the chances of inhaled steroids getting into the blood stream are very small. Kismet's BGs have not been affected by his inhaled medications. The coughing fits, on the other hand, have led to high bgs when they are not treated. I have found that when I regulate his asthma, his bgs normally come down. :) You may want to chat with Melissa about asthma treatments since she has a wealth of knowledge on the subject.

9. Courtney and Kismet

Courtney and Kismet Well-Known Member

I totally agree with Rocket's Mom--- if he has asthma, you will want to take it very seriously and treat it the best you can, even if it means an increase in insulin (though it shouldn't if you only administer inhaled medication.) Here is a great site I found when Kismet was first dx (he was dx with asthma just before he was dx with diabetes). Fritz the Brave. Untreated asthma can lead to a wealth of problems, including heart attack. I don't mean to scare you, but it is a serious condition that warrants treatment. Inhalers can be ordered for relatively cheap from Canada. Kismet's flovent was only $60, vs $350 here in the states.

10. tortie58

tortie58 Well-Known Member

Such good news from the vet! Glad Rusty is clear from the cancer threat.
    With some reading, I am sure you will be able to find a solution to tackle the ashma.

11. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

WOOHOO! It's just 'huffies', not cancer!!! I feel like dancing! Glad you're home safe and sound too!!!

BIG HUGS!!!

12. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Awesome news!!!

13. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Great news!! And glad you are safely home!

I had an asthmatic kitty but she didn't need an inhaler or steroids. My vet started her on theophylline which did nothing so then we put her on atarax (hydroxizine) which is also what I take and I read a great article about Standard Process Allerplex so I added that to her food...1/2 capsule bid. In two weeks time, I was able to take her off the atarax. My vet could not believe in the improvement in her lungs...not only on X-ray but how they sounded. That was when she was 15 and she lived to be 21.

Hugs and prayers for a simple solution !

14. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Three cheers for no C!!! And the rest of the vetty news sounds pretty awesome too. Glad you made it home safe. Now Rusty can start relaxing and calming down again. As someone with two long haired cats, I say good housekeeping is impossible.

15. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 2/28 Rusty AMPS 266, PMPS 290, +4 290. Home; some good

Thanks, everyone, I've got to do some reading tomorrow!

ni ni,

Ella & Rusty (still way up there)

16. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh I'm so glad it's not the c word....
    what Marje said sounded good on that product she used but if benadryl proves to be useful... They used to
    make a dye free sugar free version.... There was a shortage last year and you couldn't find any anywhere
    but surely they've caught up a year later.

Hope you find something good For Rusty.
    Home Sweet Home.... cat hair and all!

17. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

I am so happy to hear the good news, Ella! The asthma, if that is what it is, is something that you can deal with. It doesn't sound like that diagnosis has been made yet. I know that you and the vet will come up with a plan that works for Rusty.

18. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome home! Glad that the trip went ok. YAY on the good news too. Is this a firm DX? the asthma? It is treatable, YAY! and good luck with a plan that you guys come up with. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.