Merrick BG 96% discontinued?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Wendy&Tiggy(GA), May 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Was in the pet store today and they told me Merrick have stopped making the BG 96% canned foods!!!

I had just moved Tiggy onto these and off of FF so I am pretty annoyed. Just wanted to let everyone know in case they want to start transitioning their cats off it onto something else... or at least check with their own pet stores.

2. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Barb & Checkers (GA) Well-Known Member

HI Wendy. I didn't know they were discontinued. My local farm store that always had Cowboy Cookout, no longer had them.
    I thought they just didn't sell well.

3. SabrinaFaire

SabrinaFaire Member

According to their Facebook page, they are replacing the BG line with a "Purrfect Bistro" line.

4. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

I wonder if my kitties will like the new line better...they were not impressed with the 96% variety at all. I'll be curious to see!

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Their website didn't say anything today. Interesting that their Facebook page did. I went into the local pet food store today and the shelves were fully stocked on the Merrick BG. Maybe you can shop at another store and get enough until the new line comes out.

ETA: Found a spot on their website where they describe what's new. Looks like there will still be a Cowboy Cookout.

6. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

I almost "feel" like some of the companies are noticing and trying to compete on the no grain issue.
    "almost" being the key word here.
    Nutro revamped theirs and the new ones for mature/seniors still aren't in the stores around me yet....
    Those are all supposedly 3% or less....If I believe the rep on the phone....

Shadow didn't like the BG 96% either.
    Hope the new ones turn out the be low carb and acceptable by our finicky furbabies...

7. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Lets hope they are low carb! I picked up some cans of Evo and noticed they said "low carb" on the label... are we making progress!!?

8. SabrinaFaire

SabrinaFaire Member

I emailed Merrick's about nutritional values and this is what I got.

I'm running low and need to order more, hoping I can get the old kind still, just in case something changed.

9. Josie & Ripley (GA)

Josie & Ripley (GA) Well-Known Member

Looks like Petco still has it avail. for online ordering...

10. SabrinaFaire

SabrinaFaire Member

I got an email from Wag.com with a coupon code for the new Merrick's this week and thought I'd ask again about the nutritional info about the new line. This is the answer I got.

At least she told me it could take a few months. But in the mean time I may need to find something else.

11. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Chewy.com still has it online.

Tess is w/ Shadow and Trixie, another "healthy" food she could care less about! I hope the new one will be more appealing.

12. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

I noticed recently that the Grammy's Pot Pie cans looked differently (only because Mikey spiked WAAAAY high when I fed it to him). I compared the new version to an old one I still had left over and they've definitely changed the ingredients. I'm not sure if it's higher carbs or just different carbs that are impacting Mikey's BGs more, but either way, I'm not buying it again.

13. mtncat58

mtncat58 Well-Known Member

Only tried it once so for me no big loss, at $195 a can I think was way over priced, It's just cat food :roll:

14. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Merrick is making all three types of wet food: Classic, BG, and the new Purrfect Bistro. Check out their website. If your store doesn't carry the older formulas, that might a matter to take up with the store.
    http://www.merrickpetcare.com/consu...15&categories=Cat-Classic-Recipes#Cat-Classic
    Click on "wet', then select Classic, BG, or Purrfect Bistro and observe that all the old flavors and formulas are still being made.

Ella & Rusty

15. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.