01/11 Fortune AMPS 303 +3 284 +5 300 +8 262 PMPS 211

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by RachelG, Jan 11, 2021.

1. RachelG

RachelG Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...84-8-263-10-282-pmps-273.241307/#post-2717216

We did 1.5 IU last night instead of 2, and his BG was significantly higher than yesterday's AMPS. We did 1.5 IU this morning to get back on an even dose and hopefully build up the Lantus depot.

Will try and check at least twice today at +5 and +8 before PMPS, and we will stay up to get the PMPS +2. We were giving him his evening shot around 10:45/11 most nights, so we have pushed his morning shot back to align.

Every dose we are moving back :15 minutes every shot to gradually get back to a more reasonable hour, aiming for 8:30am/20:30 (compromise between us :)).

Will post an when I have labs as well!

@Wendy&Neko I didn't even know to look for the groups.io group - thank you!!

(I hope it's ok I tagged. Didn't want to reply on the old thread)

Fortune also has some dark wax going on, so now I'm worried he has ear mites on top of everything else. He has some allergies, and a weakened immune system from chemo and just kicked a cough with antibiotics last month. :arghh:

2. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Hi Rachel! Welcome! Great job on posting and doing a new post! This particular board gets a lot of daily posts so the format you have in your Title really helps people see "todays" posts!

If you have time, I'd review the dosing methods a lot of us follow here - see the sticky at the top of the board (& linked here).

I see Wendy recommended Neosporin for Fortunes ears - that's what I use for Jax. And if there is crusted blood, I'll take a warm cloth and wipe it clean. Also, if you hace trouble getting a drop of blood when the Neosporin is there, you may need to wipe it off (for me, I felt like it trapped the blood).

Hope you have a wonderful day :bighug:

Diane Tyler's Mom and RachelG like this.
  3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Yes, the tagged worked. :)

Good plan on the testing. It doesn't need to be the same every day, just in the general ballpark. We like to mix it up and get tests at different time. As for that bedtime +2 (or even in the morning), those tests can give you a heads up what the cycle might look like. A normal cycle is a gentle downwards curve, and that's what you'll see if the +2 is about the same as the preshot number. If the +2 is considerably lower than the preshot, that's a indicator you might be seeing an active cycle with lower numbers than the above case, and a good cycle to get more tests in. Or if you can't monitor, leaving out lots of food so he can stay safe. A +2 higher than the preshot means a quiet cycle with not much action. One caveat to the above, this trick works for most cats, but not all - it didn't for mine, a +3 was better for me. The next few days you'll get a better idea of when to test Fortune.

Diane Tyler's Mom and RachelG like this.
  4. RachelG

RachelG Member

Thank you for the warm welcome! I'm so grateful for this group already!

Yes, we have been using neosporin very liberally, putting it on before when we warm his ear with rice in a sock, and applying it after too. We are trying to avoid poking the same spot, but we are running out of ear in the "sweet spot" region! o_O

I read the TR guideline which is what we hope to follow. Right now I plan to hold the 1.5 dose since we were at 1 IU for several months with no improvement (and no at home BG monitoring, just dips). My husband made the jump to 2 IUs in the evening a few days ago, before we found the forum so 1.5 IU am/pm seemed like the best way to balance things to move forward. We will hold it for a few days and then evaluate moving up.

Hope you have a great day too!!

JaxBenji and Diane Tyler's Mom like this.
  5. RachelG

RachelG Member

I'm so glad it worked! I am still learning the forum's decorum. :)

This is so helpful to wrap my mind around it, thank you! His +3 number is slightly lower, so it looks like we have a more normal curve today vs yesterday from what I am understanding. Is a good sign that this will help regulate vs bounce?

6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

The more you test the better you will be able to predict what might happen on a given cycle. Max, for example, would onset around+2.5 or +3. Some onset at +1. The +2 is really helpful for most cats. Of course once you have it down they often switch it up just to keep us on our toes.

RachelG likes this.
  7. RachelG

RachelG Member

They love to keep things interesting, that's for sure!

What does "onset" mean? The onset of the curve?

It seems like there is no standard dose, that should be capturing data daily and adjusting as appropriate? Which makes sense, I'm just flabbergasted because it is completely opposite the direction I was given by the vet, and I'm so shocked by the disparity. Obviously, Fortune was not doing well with that regimen - gosh the vet hadn't even recommended he go back on insulin, we made that call. It's just mind blowing!

8. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Great job posting. :)

Learn how YOUR kitty is responding to insulin:
    • Onset - the length of time before insulin reaches the bloodstream & begins lowering blood glucose
    • Peak/Nadir - the lowest point in the cycle
    • Duration - the length of time insulin continues to lower blood glucose
    • How to do a Curve - a simple explanation
    @RachelG

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    RachelG likes this.
  9. RachelG

RachelG Member

Thank you, I'm trying! Lol. BRB reading like a mad woman about onset, mini curves and dosing...:woot: @Diane Tyler's Mom

A bit overwhelmed, but having hope I can help him feel better. Which is what it's all about, right?

tiffmaxee likes this.
  10. Diane Tyler's Mom

I know its overwhelming, I felt the same way in the beginning. You will feel better as you get used to everything, just ask as many questions as you want.
    Do you think he has ear mites? Is Fortune an indoor cat? How about Marty?
    Don't they have to go outside to catch them?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    tiffmaxee likes this.
  11. RachelG

RachelG Member

Oh I didn't know they have to go outside to get them! Hmm...he has dark waxy stuff inside of his ears and is scratching his ear. We have cleaner that we use, too, but it looks pretty bad, so I thought it might be ear mites. Debating keeping the appt with the vet for Wednesday to get eyes on it.

Additioanlly, just did Fortune's +5 and it looks like he already hit his peak since he is back up to 300. :( Very slight dip.

12. Diane Tyler's Mom

From what I have googled they can catch ear mites from another animal, or their environment. Maybe you can Google and see what ear mites look like
    I would keep the appt with the vet, I am always a worry wart :p

The peak/nadir can be at different times during a cycle
    You will get a better idea by testing
    You have to give the Lantus to build up the depot for the 1.5 units
    Just keep asking questions :cat:

RachelG likes this.
  13. Diane Tyler's Mom

RachelG likes this.
  14. RachelG

RachelG Member

I'm just baffled by his numbers! Is this that "bounce," effect, where they go down and up and back down? There's not a huge difference between them, so at least it's steady I guess?

Since +8 is the lowest number in his curve, would that be considered the nadir?

I read the TR guidelines, and planning to keep measuring for at least three days at the 1.5 IU before changing a dose based on how he does.

15. Diane Tyler's Mom

I would tag Wendy and ask her about this , get a few tests in tonight ok

@Wendy&Neko
    Hi Wendy I don't know how to answer Rachel's question here , would you please take a look
    Thank you Wendy

RachelG likes this.
  16. RachelG

RachelG Member

Thanks @Diane Tyler's Mom

I'm very confused by his numbers, @Wendy&Neko He went up at +5 but seems to be going down since. I think giving him the same dose is ok, and we will stay up tonight to do a +2 (minimum). Trying to get on an earlier schedule but for now it's quite late.

17. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Not really, those numbers are actually pretty flat, and within the allowable 20% meter variance. I'd still get a +2 to see where he is heading tonight.

RachelG and Diane Tyler's Mom like this.
  18. RachelG

RachelG Member

Oh, that's reassuring - I totally forgot about the 20% +/- variance! Still confused that his nadir seems to be at his PMPS. Hopefully with consistency with shooting, he will flatten out.

Definitely will do the +2 tonight. Thank you!