01/17 Fortune AMPS 300 +3 377 +6 356 PMPS 248

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by RachelG, Jan 17, 2021.

1. RachelG

RachelG Member

Yesterday, we increased Fortune's dose to 2 IU. He devoured the new food we introduced (almost 3 cans) which gives us some hope since he is still so skinny.

Today, he finished 1.5 cans (normal serving is 2 cans) this morning, and has been very lethargic. His legs seem very weak (still) and I noticed he hasn't cleaned some clumped litter from his tummy. He pepped up for his post BG test treat (dried minnow) but has not been interested in much other than snuggles and drinking water (and food still, thank goodness). He will just stare at the water bowl in between drinks. Oh my heart. :arghh:

Concerning to see is BG rise today, hoping it's just the new dose adjusting.

2. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

It takes time...I hope the insulin will soon find it's way and will help him to feel better.

Lots going on with Fortune. Hang in there.

Have a good day Rachel!

Diane Tyler's Mom and RachelG like this.
  3. RachelG

RachelG Member

Thank you! You too :bighug:

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Rachel , I hope the increase helps Fortune, Prayers that he starts to feel better.
    Give the new dose time for the depot to fill.♥:bighug::bighug:

RachelG likes this.
  5. RachelG

RachelG Member

Thanks @Diane Tyler's Mom - so hard to see him not feeling well.

I'm trying to understand if we are testing at enough frequency. Re-reading Diabetes in Cats for beginners and it seems like we aren't doing it regularly enough. With a new dosage, should we be testing more? Been trying to get him at +3 +6 +9 during the day (missed +9 today) but tomorrow may try to do every two hours to see when our peak truly is.

6. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Onset can start somewhere around +2 for many cats, so it's good to get a +2 for both cycles. If higher than the preshot, it probably won't be an active cycle (ie numbers probably won't go lower). If lower than the preshot, you'll want to do more testing because it's likely going to be an active cycle. If the +2 is around the same as the preshot, could go either way.

You want to collect data that will give you a more fulsome picture of how Fortune responds to insulin during both cycles (AM and PM), so while the +3/6/9 you're doing is plenty of testing while he is in higher numbers, change it up and get tests at other hours. Instead try +2/5/8...+2/4/7...ultimately create a mosaic pattern with tests at all of the different hours.

Many cats' numbers tend to go lower at night. It's a good idea to always get a +2 on the PM cycle as well, and then a before bed test at least. For me, that's a +4. The +2 and +4 numbers will give me a good indication of what alarms I need to set for tests during the rest of the PM cycle (if any).

I see on your spreadsheet you're following TR. Could you please add that to your signature when you have a moment? That way anyone who is trying to help you can quickly see which dosing method you're following.:) Thank you so much!

Have a wonderful evening:bighug:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  7. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

This is one of my favourite pieces of info from one of the stickies at the top of the forum, and why it's good to spread around your data collection hours. So you can figure out what Fortune's cycles will look like and this will help you with knowing when to test and when to feed. Note the line I put in bold: ECID. Butters, for example, tends to nadir late in the cycle. She often nadirs at +12 (the next preshot number), sometimes even after that! So while I always shoot her 12 hours apart, the duration of insulin in one cycle can overlap with the next cycle. It makes things....interesting. but these are the types of things you will come to learn about Fortune as you collect more data.

Example of an ACTIVE, but NOT necessarily typical Lantus/Basaglar cycle:
    NOTE: Until kitty is pretty well regulated, the description below is NOT not what you'd consider a "typical" Lantus/Basaglar cycle. It takes time and patience for kitty to achieve a "typical" cycle! The example below is what you're working towards (a nice shallow curve). A relatively flat cycle is the ultimate goal.

+0 - PreShot number.
    +1 - Usually higher than PreShot number because of the last shot wearing off. May see a food spike in this number.
    +2 - Often similar to the PreShot number. Onset begins around +2 for most cats. You'll probably see an active cycle if the +2 is the same/similar OR lower than the preshot number. Continue testing!
    +3 - Often lower than the PreShot number.
    +4 - Lower.
    +5 - Lower.
    +6 - Nadir/Peak (the lowest number of cycle. NOTE: ECID. Not every cat has a mid-cycle nadir. Adjust the hours on this example to fit your cat.)
    +7 - Surf (hang around the nadir number).
    +8 - Slight rise.
    +9 - Slight rise.
    +10 - Rising.
    +11 - Rising (one of the quirks of Lantus/Basaglar/Levemir: some cat's blood glucose numbers dip around +10 or +11... not to be confused with nadir).
    +12 - PreShot number.
    ...However, please keep in mind every cat is different (ECID). Data collection will offer you a better picture of YOUR cat's response to either of these insulins.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  8. RachelG

RachelG Member

Thank you for this! I will reread/digest further tomorrow. Fortune definitely dips at +11/pre-shot from what I can tell so far. We will keep messing around with the times and try to do more tomorrow since DH is home.

He actually went UP at PMPS +4 poor bunny. It’s hard to test so frequently during weekday, but he is our priority.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  9. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Rachel, what Lyla says is correct @Butters & Lyla get get more tests in at different times.:cat:
    @RachelG