01/18 Haley OTJ Update - AM +8 88

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Haleysmom, Jan 18, 2022.

1. Haleysmom

Haleysmom Well-Known Member

She's at 88!!! She's at 88!!!

Thank you, God. You're bigger than anything. You can make her better. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! :):cat:

I just found out something. I’ve been giving Haley grilled Fancy Feast recently! I got the flaked and grilled mixed up and bought the wrong one! I think there’s something wrong with me!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
  2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Meditation perhaps? Lol. Seriously you are just freaking out at the possibility of having to restart insulin and so not thinking clearly. Nice to see green!

Haleysmom likes this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

4. Haleysmom

I need something! I’m freaking out more, “now”, thinking “I” did this to her! Yes, I was soooo happy to see green! I’m testing her again tonight. I pray it’s still green!

5. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

Accidents happen and mistakes get made. And she's come down nicely now you've realized. No beating yourself up - you're doing the best you can, and any of us can make mistakes at times.

Haleysmom and tiffmaxee like this.
  6. Haleysmom

Thank you. I appreciate your kindness. Now, I don't know what's going on. I just tested her and she's at 199 and she's only had Friskies pate and Fancy Feast pate today. She was in the blue and green today. The vet's office called because they had a cancelation so I'm getting her in tomorrow,

7. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

Give it time. Remember I said a few days ago that it took my girl a week to come back down after being given higher carb food? Even now you've switched back, it might take her a bit to get back into consistently good numbers. She's already down by 60 points or so over where she's been at around this time the last couple of days, so that's a huge improvement almost immediately.

Haleysmom likes this.
  8. Haleysmom

Sigh... up from 88. She's usually higher at night. She's only had Friskies and/or Fancy Feast pate today. I'm so confused.

The vet's office called and offered me an appointment for tomorrow at 11:30 and I took it.

9. Haleysmom

Thank you. Your encouragement gives me happy tears. :bighug::bighug:

manxcat419 likes this.
  10. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

It does look as if Haley needs some insulin again unfortunately.
    Are you still just feeding her only low carb food.?
    Are you checking for ketones at all? I would, seeing she is not getting any insulin at the moment and her BGs are above normal.
    I would start with 0.25 units of Lantus, let the depot fill and see how she goes. If it drops under 50, reduce the dose.

Are her teeth OK?

edit ….just read yesterday post and saw you have been feeding some higher carb food by mistake. I agree that give it a few days to see if the BGs come back to normal after returning to LC.
    If not you may have to restart the insulin ….see how it goes.

11. Haleysmom

I'm sure you mean well but, obviously, you haven't been following her story over last few days or you wouldn't be asking these questions. Every one of them have been addressed. I think you should know the whole story before you give anyone advice like this. We don't even know each other! Why would I take your advice? Your post "really" upset me.

12. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Hey Shirley! Just want to keep this public since we've talked a bit on Facebook. I'm glad you're getting Haley into the vet tomorrow just to get a good "once over". It's possible she's brewing a UTI or has an infection brewing somewhere or has something causing her pain .....all of which can bring a cat out of remission (or quick treatment can get them right back into remission!)

Don't beat yourself up over the food. We all make mistakes!

If the vet doesn't find anything and she does need to go back on insulin, it's not the end of the world either! If you catch them coming out of remission early, it's a lot easier to get them back!

Take it one day at a time and let us know what the vet says. In the meantime, you have all our prayers and wishes for the best for both you and Haley. Hang in there! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Haleysmom likes this.
  13. Chris & China (GA)

I wrote this on your other thread so repeating it here (just FYI...we ask that you only start 1 thread per day here because there are so many cats on Lantus....gets hard to keep up with them all if there's more than 1 thread)

Hey Shirley! Just want to keep this public since we've talked a bit on Facebook. I'm glad you're getting Haley into the vet tomorrow just to get a good "once over". It's possible she's brewing a UTI or has an infection brewing somewhere or has something causing her pain .....all of which can bring a cat out of remission (or quick treatment can get them right back into remission!)

Don't beat yourself up over the food. We all make mistakes!

If the vet doesn't find anything and she does need to go back on insulin, it's not the end of the world either! If you catch them coming out of remission early, it's a lot easier to get them back!

Take it one day at a time and let us know what the vet says. In the meantime, you have all our prayers and wishes for the best for both you and Haley. Hang in there! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

14. Haleysmom

Ty for the reminder, Chris. I'm out of practice on the board since I haven't had to do all this in 7 months. I'm glad she's getting a good"once over" too. I kind off hope they find something else that can be fixed and then correct her bg. I still feel bad about the food but I can only go forward. I appreciate your encouragement about the insulin. I'll keep you all posted as soon as I get back from the vet. I've never met this new vet to the practice. I hope he's a caring one that knows what he's doing! Ty for the prayers and wishes. I'm hangin, lol.:bighug::bighug::bighug:

15. Chris & China (GA)

I know....You don't know if you want them to find something (so you can "fix" it but means that they're sick) or you don't want them to find anything (so you know she's totally healthy) but still don't have an answer to the higher numbers!

Makes me crazy too!

Haleysmom likes this.
  16. Chris & China (GA)

Haleysmom likes this.
  17. Haleysmom

Thank you so much, Chris. Yes, I'm glad she's going to get a good "once over" too. I don't know
    Right. If something is going on, I'd hope it's something easy to fix but, of course, I don't want her to be sick either. It's a double edge sword.

18. Haleysmom

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  19. Chris & China (GA)

Hey Bron! Shirley and I have chatted some over the past few days and I had suggested she might want to get Haley into the vet to make sure there wasn't a physical reason for the higher numbers (and then learned today about the food mix-up) but there's no way you could have known about it. At first she couldn't get in until the end of the month so I suggested she keep calling to see if maybe they had an earlier cancellation so it's great that she's getting Haley in tomorrow instead of having to wait.

Haley was in a strong remission and this all came on fairly quickly so she's been really worried but if it's necessary, she knows she'll have to go back on insulin. We don't know if we want the vet to find something or not though! (you know how that goes!).

20. Haleysmom

There was a way for Bron to know about what was going on and that was reading all of my posts instead of jumping to conclusions.

21. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Shirley, I appreciate that you are very stressed. Nobody wants to have their cat fall out of remission and I am sure you are worried about what else, if anything, might be going on that is causing the high numbers.

We all try to read back to previous condos to get as much information as we can before asking questions. Which is why we request members to link previous condos and make it easy for us to do so. Yes, Bron did not look back at your condos before she posted, but she did soon after and edited her post.

I am sure you will appreciate that we are all volunteers and dealing with a lot of caregivers and cats here. We try to, but sometimes it's hard to keep up and we have to ask the same questions again and again. Also, we have our own lives to deal with and we try to devote as much time as possible on this forum.

Some of us are aware of all the stress that Bron has been under w.r.t. her health and that of her family and she still chooses to be here and help as many cats as she can.

I hope you will accord her and all of us the courtesy of being kind and polite - like you would any stranger - especially a well-intentioned one who was only trying to help.

Good luck with the vet visit. I hope you get to the bottom of her high numbers very soon.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  22. Haleysmom

Hi, Bhooma. Ty for your message. I hope you’re well. I appreciate what you’re saying and the volunteers being here and helping us. I don’t know where Haley and I would be if it wasn’t for your help (collectively). Giving advice, though, without knowing the whole story can prove a negative outcome if acted on. I’m sure no one wants that.

As for myself, except for posting Haley’s numbers, over the last 7 months, I’m out of practice using the board. I’m relearning some of it.

23. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Bhooma has excellent points in post 21 and I’m glad she brought them to your attention.

I’m hoping you will see fit to apologize to Bron. She constantly puts herself out to help others. One thing you might not be aware of is that you had duplicate posts going which Bhooma asked me to merge. That put Bron at a disadvantage as she had responded before she knew you had a duplicate post that had addressed feeding or before I merged posts.

Please be kind and do not snap or be rude to other volunteers trying to help you. Again, an apology to Bron is in order. Thanks very much.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    Marina & Chico and tiffmaxee like this.