02/01 Bubba AMPS 355; +5 409; +11/PMPS 468 (bounce); +5.5 140; +6.5 460

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by bubbasmom (GA), Feb 1, 2023.

1. bubbasmom (GA)

bubbasmom (GA) Member

2. bubbasmom (GA)

bubbasmom (GA) Member

are today's type of #s supposed to show up on day 3 after lower #s (Jan 29 & 30)?

3. bubbasmom (GA)

bubbasmom (GA) Member

@Bandit's Mom @Wendy&Neko

do we just continue to ride out this bouncy nonsense? lol
    hopefully we see a dip in #s tonight at around +5 from PMPS

please tag anyone else who may be able to provide input! thank you :) :)

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  4. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Today's AM cycle was the 6th cycle after that blue. See what he does tonight. That's enough time for him to clear the bounce. He looks good for an increase to 3.5U tomorrow morning.
    @Wendy&Neko

5. bubbasmom (GA)

bubbasmom (GA) Member

what do you mean by "clear the bounce"? like, clear the higher #s? start to get lower #s? thanks!

also, with the understand that ECID - would any other cat continue on with the same dose that brought them to the blues/yellows? or do cats still usually need an increase after the 6 cycles? just wondering if Bubba should have been able to handle the lower #s with this current dose of 3.25U, and start to continue to see blues/yellows... if that all makes sense haha

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
  6. Bandit's Mom

A cycle where he sees lower numbers (like that blue nadir) would be followed by bounce cycle where numbers are flat and high (and sometimes bob up and down like Wendy said). When the bounce clears, you should see a cycle with similar or lower nadirs that led to the bouncing. If this doesn't happen, that means he is no longer bouncing but just needs more insulin.

For cats that haven't gotten to a good dose, you would keep increasing per TR. So once you start seeing blue and green nadirs you would increase every 8-10 cycles till the numbers are in the range you want them to be in.

bubbasmom (GA) likes this.
  7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

The eventual goal is regulation, meaning mostly greens and the odd blues. You keep increasing until you get there, unless they earn a reduction. If the dose is taking you to blue nadirs, you can increase after 6-10 cycles. I tended to hold longer for lower blues, less for high blues. The first time kitty hits blues (and then greens) we hold a little longer to see if they can repeat it.

You see how Bubba kept on heading up today? Sometimes cats will do what we call the "high before the low", meaning their numbers head up just before they clear the bounce. So you could see some action tonight. Or not, that's up to Bubba. :cat: Today was the sixth cycle after that cycle with blues, so the timing would be right.

8. bubbasmom (GA)

bubbasmom (GA) Member

9. bubbasmom (GA)

bubbasmom (GA) Member

+6 from PMPS is 140 or 7.8mmol/L!!!!

@Wendy&Neko I guess this is the "action" you predicted?!

should I continue on with 3.25U tmrw? as per TR, since Bubba is new to #s under 200 or 11.1mmol/L, I should hold the current dose of 3.25U for 8-10 cycles, correct?

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  10. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

This is great progress!

When your cat is new to numbers under 200, you hold the dose 8-10 cycles. Tonight is cycle 9. I expect he'll bounce after this and 3.25 isn't showing us greens yet. I think I'd increase to 3.5 units tomorrow. I'm greedy for greens for Bubba.

bubbasmom (GA) and Bandit's Mom like this.
  11. bubbasmom (GA)

bubbasmom (GA) Member

oh ok. I thought today would have started from zero LOL

when you say you expect him to bounce after this, you mean his sugar #s will go back up? Sorry. Have had 3 hrs sleep the last 24h and am getting muddled with all the terminology

12. Bandit's Mom

Yes. Today's blue could be followed by up to 6 cycles of higher numbers where his body "reacts" to the lows it is not used to by "bouncing".

As his body gets used to lower numbers (when it sees them often enough), the bouncing reduces.

13. bubbasmom (GA)

bubbasmom (GA) Member

So increasing by 0.25U to 3.5U tomorrow morning is ok then? Would that not cause more bouncing? Or would that allow him to get lower #s and hopefully used to lower #s and thus reducing the bouncing?

just wanna make sure we aren’t gonna go into “forever bouncing” territory lol

14. Bandit's Mom

This. :)

15. Bandit's Mom

Btw, did he get some food at +6? If you are up, can you get a +6.75 or +7?

16. bubbasmom (GA)

bubbasmom (GA) Member

Yes he got food at +6. I could do a test now.

he’s on raw food so idk how much it would cause a “buffer” to not go lower

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  17. Bandit's Mom

Is he on raw because of food allergies/IBD? Folks who can't feed their cats commercial canned food use honey/syrup to increase the carb% of raw foods when they want to use carbs to manipulate the curve.

Does he get food earlier in the cycle even if you don't test till +6 or later?

18. bubbasmom (GA)

bubbasmom (GA) Member

Ok so either the 7.8 / 140 was an anomaly / meter error at +5.5 …. cuz at +6.5 he jumped to 25.6/460 (then 23.9 a few min later) !!!! I’m going to bed lol thanks @Bandit's Mom

he’s been on raw since he was a weee little 4lb baby b/c commercial cat food is garbage… his rescue society only feeds their cats/kittens raw and so we’ve always fed him raw. I attest his perfect health for 14 years to having been on raw food.

oh yeah. He gets fed every few hours.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
    Bandit's Mom likes this.
  19. bubbasmom (GA)

bubbasmom (GA) Member

LOL he bounced alright. From 7.8 to 25.6 within an hour … +5.5 and +6.5 respectively

liver and pancreas must have had a major freak out :nailbiting:o_O:rolleyes:

Bandit's Mom likes this.