? 02/06/2020 Mowgli AMPS 169 +4 81 General OTJ question

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by AmandaE, Jun 2, 2020.

1. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

05/26/2020

We gave Mowgli a reduction this morning, down to 0.1u which is really hard to believe honestly! He has been on antibiotics for his gums and they look a lot better. The gums seem to be receding and they are more pinkish than reddish. I am thinking that I will probably schedule the removal of his top K9s anyway... in hopes to mitigate further infection and keep moving forward with his great progress.

I know that we aren't to the point of an OTJ trial yet but *if* we do get to the point where Mowgli has moved on to a drop dose but is spending time in blues and still dipping into limes... how would I proceed? would we go to OTJ because a drop is too much for him? or is it something where I will have to try and bolster him with MC at the beginning of his cycle to further limit his drop into limes?

I feel like if he is eating a normal LC diet, and a drop dose brings him to limes even though his numbers start as blues that it suggests that we should try OTJ... it just seems counterintuitive to be feeding him MC at the start of his cycles to delay an OTJ trial.

Anyway, this is obviously hypothetical as we still have to see if the 0.1u dose sticks.

Thoughts?

Tomlin and Sarah and Blaze like this.
  2. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

Looking great Mowgli!! It's so nice to see you sliding down the dosing scale! Amanda - he isn't making it easy on you like Tina did for me.

I have the same questions you do! A hunch says to prop with MC to prevent another quick decrease. As in trying to keep him on the .1 dose for a week without limes or especially a BG under 40.

Wishing good luck with your mouth little one:cat:

AmandaE likes this.
  3. AmandaE

Thanks Jan!

Nice to hear from you! I could see that being the answer as well... I definitely don't want to decrease immediately on the 0.1u

I still do feel like it is counterintuitive though... like giving him an insulin dose that drops him without MC support tells me the dose is too high. Of course I want a strong remission (if it gets to that point )so I'm not against it... I just find it counterintuitive haha

How is Tina!? How are you :D

4. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

Overall, I'm great;) Tina gave me a little worry a few days ago with a BG of 161. She was acting super lazy so I checked her BG . . . she got rid of some hairballs overnight, and is back to normal . . . still crossing fingers. Other than that, she recently turned 15, ckd is stable, she remains high maintenance, and she is still a happy princess:smuggrin:

I have missed you guys:rolleyes:

I agree propping up the BG is counterintuitive . . . see what Mowgli says:woot: He'd likely say just stop this pokey game;)

AmandaE likes this.
  5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

If Mowgli continues seeing the high blues, then he's not really ready for an OTJ trial. A couple of options. First, have you tried giving him a small snack around +8 to +9? If he's close to remission and the pancreas is sputtering, that snack can cause his pancreas to kick in and lower the preshot. If it doesn't, well then you know he's really not ready for OTJ. We only suggest the small late snack when cats are on tiny doses and approaching OTJ.

As for the slightly higher carb food to boost him up, it can be higher LC, like 8-9%, not necessarily MC. ECID. But giving a bit more insulin and keeping him up with slightly higher carbs can help you find a dose where he spends the maximum amount of time in healing greens.

Good luck with the new dose!

AmandaE likes this.
  6. AmandaE

Gotcha,

Mowgli seems to be coming down in the evenings himself the past few days, he free feeds still since I feed both him and civvie Nyx, I think he might be going lower in the evenings and having a mild version of a bounce in the am that clears in the evening, or he just is higher in the AM (as usual) I will start looking for higher% LC FFs, Friskies makes him puke 9 times out of 10 which is what I used to rely on for a higher % LC.

Thanks for the good luck wish for the new dose, I hope it sticks!